It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Room Temperature Quantum Entanglement in Semiconductor

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

"The macroscopic world that we are used to seems very tidy, but it is completely disordered at the atomic scale. The laws of thermodynamics generally prevent us from observing quantum phenomena in macroscopic objects," said Paul Klimov, a graduate student in the University of Chicago's Institute for Molecular Engineering and lead author of new research on quantum entanglement. The institute is a partnership between UChicago and Argonne National Laboratory.

Previously, scientists have overcome the thermodynamic barrier and achieved macroscopic entanglement in solids and liquids by going to ultra-low temperatures (-270 degrees Celsius) and applying huge magnetic fields (1,000 times larger than that of a typical refrigerator magnet) or using chemical reactions. In the Nov. 20 issue of Science Advances, Klimov and other researchers in David Awschalom's group at the Institute for Molecular Engineering have demonstrated that macroscopic entanglement can be generated at room temperature and in a small magnetic field.

The researchers used infrared laser light to order (preferentially align) the magnetic states of thousands of electrons and nuclei and then electromagnetic pulses, similar to those used for conventional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), to entangle them.
In the short-term, the techniques used here in combination with sophisticated devices enabled by advanced SiC device-fabrication protocols could enable quantum sensors that use entanglement as a resource for beating the sensitivity limit of traditional (non-quantum) sensors. Given that the entanglement works at ambient conditions and the fact that SiC is bio-friendly, one particularly exciting application is biological sensing inside a living organism.
In the long term, it might even be possible to go from entangled states on the same SiC chip to entangled states across distant SiC chips. Such efforts could be facilitated by physical phenomena that allow macroscopic quantum states, as opposed to single quantum states (in single atoms), to interact very strongly with one another, which is important for producing entanglement with a high success rate. Such long-distance entangled states have been proposed for synchronizing global positioning satellites and for communicating information in a manner that is fundamentally secured from eavesdroppers by the laws of physics.

Source: Physic.org - Quantum entanglement achieved at room temperature in semiconductor wafers

I am reading back up on quantum mechanics in general. So seeing this story made my jaw drop! Entanglement is the alignment across molecules so they resonate at the same state. There had been a story a month or two back about helium particles being super cooled down to 2 K and it was demonstrated that the array of particles all 'felt' effects when one was probed! That is an example of how low the temperature must be to 'lock' particles to exhibit quantum behavior. 2 Kelvin is just above Absolute Zero and one drawback to any quantum computing device. Until now.

What else can distributed quantum entangled semiconductors be made to do? My mind is starting to cycle onto that manic rush and I may need to go take a walk...

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Does this have implications for FTL communications over vast distances.....
The entangled solids, are they imbued with different properties than non entangled one of the same substances.....
Like say super strength or ductility etc....
Or even entangled vegetables arte they maybe like super foods or could we even digest them....
Im sure you have no idea eitther but this sounds so very cool.....

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I haven't read the paper yet but this is a fantastic breakthrough if the effect exists above the 'noise'.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
That's it then, no more sex for me!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
That's it then, no more sex for me!

I wonder if copulating octopi can become entangled?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

I didn't even think of FTL communication! I was thinking more like, "internet of TORs" where everything is passed along the main nodes all at the same time.

Hey! It would make the whole "Stephan Hawking Starshot" more of a reality then wouldn't it!? FTL communication, that is.

These are only electrons on a Silicon-carbon wafer so they are still small but that is still pretty neat!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Cryptographics would spring to my mind!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
FYI, the book I just picked up.

Amazon link: The Quantum Moment: How Planck, Bohr, Einstein, and Heisenberg Taught Us to Love Uncertainty

For those interested in reading about how the entire theory was thought out and argued about between these guys. The intro is pretty funny and covers the societal impact of "quantum" on various subjects across society. The main point is this book is going to be mostly about physics and physicists and not pop culture.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

After networking that is exactly what I thought too. Then communications (but not FTL!) and, I don't even play, computer gaming! Imagine a massive CoD tournament!

Then I went to signal processing (most people do not know how much signal processing happens behind the scenes of their day-to-day lives) and decided to take a quick lunch!

Graphene based terahertz computing. Silicon wafer based QE. What is going to be the next great announcement in computing development? I wonder how this might tie in with quantum dots?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Graphene will be the next step cranking up the rate of cycle on microcontrollers and CPUs.
The last ten years, the way was to go parallel, meaning more cores and caches.
With graphene, we´ll be able to unlock the 100Ghz barrier pretty fast and who knows where it ends.

There is a nice article out there how the industry made moores law self fulfilling but slowly comes to a stop.
I found it but it´s not in english.
www.spektrum.de...

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Well, we are still waiting for Thor's hammer as it is, and in some ways even that's kind of moot. Over the last decade and a half, due to some very deadly incidences, the flow of information is by the way, and that sending information and receiving it, is dependant not of the system, but by the Fat Controllers.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

My German is not the best but it helps when it is a technical document since they all start the same: "Moore's Law states the doubling of transistors every two years"! So, "More than Moore"? Correct? I can get the basic idea with your commentary. I read German better than I can speak it or translate (thanks to James Joyce!). "Danke" for the article since it is he thought that counts!

Yeah who knows where it will stop? It used to be, "nobody uses Linux! It is just a toy! You need a desktop computer to run it" and now you can get a little micro CPU that is running Linux for the price of a few beirs! So it appears we on the cusp of several simultaneous computing break troughs!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

If this is what you are talking about...

SectrumIEEE.org - Octopus-Inspired Robots Can Grasp, Crawl, and Swim

The Magic Eight Ball says, "All signs point towards: YES"

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Yes, the article translates to
"More than Moore".

It goes on how the silicon industry basically made sure moore´s law was staying valid. They issued a plan so everyone had a headsup where the route was going and be prepared (supply chains ...)

Because they took it so serious, it was a great help getting new new supply chains up faster then other industries.
This year for the first time, their (the industries) plan is not based on moore´s law but they take a different route, not doubling power and then look what we can do softwarewise but look at the task it has to do and design it that way. Sounds like it should have been like this before, right??

As for linux/unix.... You´d be surprised how many things run on unix/linux based operation systems.
The greatest part of the network gears aviable runs on that platform or a properitary derivate from it.
Don´t think of it as a toy please. Maybe the RasPi, yes but not unix/linux.

For the normal average user, it´s a little bit complicated but just because almost everyone has used windows prior to linux. Back then, in dos times, it would not make any difference. Don´t forget, what you see on your screen is just a GUI, a frontend for the user to interact with the system. You can create folders with your mouse, by shortcut, all on the gui, or you can open a shell/cmd and do it there. Sometimes a shell is faster and not every tool has a fancy GUI.
Because often it does not make sense at all to waste time on that.

That´s the way windows went primarily, the neat GUI experience. I use both win and ubuntu, both have their pros and cons.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Affordable room temperature SQUIDs antennas.

A mega antenna for your smartphone?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

The Linux/Unix quip I made was exactly what you are stating: it is not a toy and it is running everywhere! I use a Mac which is variant of BSD Unix with a better GUI that Jobs developed when they unceremoniously kicked him out of Apple. The reason Apple is where it is now is because Jobs came back with NeXTStep under his arm.

Road maps and vision statements are useful to get everybody working together. Try working at company with no "vision statement" and the warm fuzzy feeling goes away real quick--so do the employees. That is what I hope does not happen here: besides a mere curiosity that actual real world everyday uses for QE silicon wafers are made! Otherwise it will just sit as some tech made in a lab with no practical application.

BTW, I also use OpenSUSE and know the CLI fairly well. Ever install FreeBSD? After the install, including the GUI/graphics card, you still boot to a command line! You need to do the final configuration from CLI and set the correct boot parameter before a "modern" GUI comes up!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Ah that was my fast reading, I read

" I used to be, "nobody uses Linux! It is just a toy....
instead of
It used to be, "nobody uses Linux! It is just a toy...
my fault

The part about the roadmap, I was trying to give you an overview of the spektrum article ;-)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Yeah who knows where it will stop? It used to be, "nobody uses Linux! It is just a toy! You need a desktop computer to run it" and now you can get a little micro CPU that is running Linux for the price of a few beirs!

Das ist bier!

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
Does this have implications for FTL communications over vast distances.....
The entangled solids, are they imbued with different properties than non entangled one of the same substances.....
Like say super strength or ductility etc....
Or even entangled vegetables arte they maybe like super foods or could we even digest them....
Im sure you have no idea eitther but this sounds so very cool.....

There is no known process for using entanglement as a means of FTL communication. As of now it's an impossibility.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I wonder if a set of identical clones could be "entangled"....

Hm....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join