It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Equal Pay Day: When, where and why women earn less than men

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Women clearly make less money, but it isn't because they are payed less.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
If women really got paid less, then places would only hire women because its cheaper! Plus you can make them wear tight clothes and get away with anything because we have successfully silenced their voices!

"Tracy,...or Lisa whatever your name is, get me a gin and tonic and bounce around my desk until my 10 'o clock"

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
If women really got paid less, then places would only hire women because its cheaper! Plus you can make them wear tight clothes and get away with anything because we have successfully silenced their voices!

"Tracy,...or Lisa whatever your name is, get me a gin and tonic and bounce around my desk until my 10 'o clock"

EXACTLY. I point this out earlier.

If businesses can pay women less for the same exact job, they would fire all the men and just hire women.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Where is your proof and sources that today discrimination exists with women's salaries.

You stating that it exists is not proof when your data just shows a difference in pay.

Prove pay discrimination exists. Because these numbers don't mean crap

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

True!

Jokes aside, women are more likely to take off a day or time out of a day to tend to family(sick/elderly, not just kids)

Women tend to take on more part time jobs due to the same reason.

Its choices made by individuals.

Where has someone been taken to court over this gap? It doesn't happen! Any actual wage gap court case is anecdotal, and NOT a standard "system" set up by Patriarchy or some such nonsense.

Its already illegal, so if you get .75 to my $1, then sue your employer. Twitter doesnt do any good besides divide great swathes of people by one side of a story at a time.

I'm not going to get into the choices in fields of careers.

edit on 4122016 by Butterfinger because: breakin up them paragraphs

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Nah it's a clear reflection of your attitude here...you could have done a search as this has been covered on ATS a bunch...you chose not to. You could have looked into the statistics your source used...again you did not. You just rushed over to post a boohoo poor women thread and it shows...
edit on 12-4-2016 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I don't get the attitude towards women who get pregnant. Who do you think is going to populate your country? You don't want immigrants but yet you don't want women to have equal pay for same job and then gripe when they get pregnant?

I don't get this attitude.

If a woman is able to do the work the same as a man then equal pay is what is due.

P.S. This wasn't directed at you Lysergic, just replied to your post to reply in general

edit on 12/4/16 by ccseagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
a reply to: frostie

I don;t know where you found that, but it has nothing to do with pay per hour. Women demand 'the whole damn dollar'.

A white woman generally makes 79 cents on the dollar that a man makes. If a woman is Latino or Black, the gap is wider.

This MUST change. This HAS to change. There is NO logical argument against it.

Here's one: segmentation. How the end results yields out depends on how the segmentation layers in. Or, to put it another way: what is the average wage in the fields that women tend to work?

I think what the problem really boils down to is that there isn't an apples to apples comparison that i have seen (although I have more thread to read). Compare womens pay int he exact same position as men, and lets get an idea of where the equality truly is, and not just argue net numbers chosen from the median. I know 2 women who have my job title, and know what they make. 1 makes more than me, because she is in a job market that has a higher cost of living. THe other makes less because she just started, has zero experience, and is having to be trained on just about every aspect of the job.

I have a similar vantage point on several other positions within a company of about 1000 people. I don't see a gender equality issue at all personally.

All that being said: i was raised by a single mom, and know all too well how gender equality has suffered in the past. Its just that EEOC sure doesn't make discrimination very easy on a company.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
The unfortunate truth is that women have babies and when kids get sick they are going to take time off. When that happens men get promoted and they don't. Men also get jobs that women don't when an employer is fearful of maternity leave. Women over 40 are not as effected by this sort of thing as much.
I have seen this first hand in my own job.

It is unfortunate and it must change. Men contributed 50% to the baby, why is it that women must take the fall? By your logic.

Women must have the baby, care for the baby and then not get promotions?

And then get paid 79 cents on the dollar?

From the perpsective of a strong father and husband:

I miss work half the time with the sick kids, and expect my wife to do her part. To eliminate this as an issue, we worked opposite shifts.

But lets say we divorced....who is likely to end up with custody? Who do the courts typically see as the "caretaker" and who do they see as "the provider"? I know how it usually works because, the same as pay, i also see the court ordered with holdings for the same 1000 employees.

If you want to talk equality, im all for it. For one, as a strong father and husband, it pisses me off that a woman can abort a child without any input from the father. Fix that, then we can move on to other things.

The answer here: realize that we screw each other over regularly, and there is no real logic behind the way we have set up our laws. We can work to make it better....but none of us are right.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Shazam! Am I back in the 1950's? I can't believe the anti-woman vibe I'm getting here. It just does not compute. Men work 8.14 hours and women 7.16 hours? Huh? Every woman I work with, works a full 8 hours! Lets just quit the BULLSH$T and pay the sister FULL pay!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
so is sh0eonhead wrong?
the video after the cnn article.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

not many female lead tong hand in the oilfield

how can they earn what they won't work?

I've only ever met 1 female roughneck.

good pay for hardwork.

now mudloggers I met plenty females doing that.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

A woman has a smaller brain that is a fact, they are weaker that is a fact. one week in 4 they can be totally under the weather and not perform at their best that is a fact and thats why they could and should be paid less, there is talk in the UK of paying the disabled what they are worth rather than full wage, if this is the case then you should be able to pay a woman what you feel she is worth.

Look around you whether its manholes and sewerage work skyscrapers, houses, roads, a woman labourer could never keep one Bricklayer going never mind 2, a woman could never load a roof with tiles as many men struggle. A woman gets a job sitting behind a computer and she thinks she is equal. Men build the world woman just enjoy it, we invented, cookers, washing machines etc for you even vacum cleaners all to make life easier and woman still moan. If it was left up to woman we would still live in caves. That is not a put down as I believe that woman do the hardest job on earth raising children. But for woman to say we are equal is nonsense and having woman on the front line in battle will be a disaster as men are build to help a woman in distress and if you had a woman next to you you would be concerned more for her and put your own and her life at risk.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

and in all fairness there are many men not cut out for the oilfield either they tend to run worms off.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I've known a few women that could trip pipe with the best of them. Known a few that dipped snuff. Not manly women, really. Just women who weren't told what women were supposed to be.

Those are the kinds of chicks that i dig.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   

so how is she wrong again?

And all her sources are wrong too right?

www.wsj.com...
money.howstuffworks.com...
www.bloombergview.com...
www.forbes.com...
blogs.telegraph.co.uk...
www.cbsnews.com...
www.marketwatch.com...
www.businessinsider.com...
www.huffingtonpost.com...
www.payscale.com...
blog.dol.gov...
www.science20.com...
usatoday30.usatoday.com...
www.cnn.com...
www.nbcnews.com...
edition.cnn.com...

that ain't even all of them

CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
CITATION NEEDED
edit on 12-4-2016 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Theres 16 links for yall to debunk

No rush.

edit on 12-4-2016 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

These are kids. If I were on that team, I would have walked off the field. Not in tears, though. I would have demanded a reschedule and censure of the idiots in the stands. New rules for deportment of spectators.

The Trump Loonie Tunes go after kids. Just crazy.

What? Trump? What kids?

Who is going after kids?

I am hella confused as to wtf you are on about?

Who is crying about wage gap other than entitled feminist?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

My wife earns the exact same pay as any other nurse in her establishment with similar longevity and shift differentials.

She ain't complaining. Other than the same complaint of everyone the whole world over. We all feel under paid.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I do believe there is a wage gap and have probably experienced it. In my case there were other economic factors involved.

I should say 'we', my friend has come over for a few brews (we'll drink to fair pay for all, too) and we can both tell you similar tales. Which might be a snore fest so the point I'd really like to make is that this issue, and related issues, do bear scrutiny by all. Friend says that there are economic factors that involve all. She's a "business person" now.

Both of us used to work in manufacturing as mechanical engineers. Yes us Ladies. This is actually a fairly common occupation in the US Great Lakes region here. Or was. Friend did also work in EU and says it's better there. They treat the workers better.

We witnessed the decline of US mfg. And it wasn't only hiring women for less, it was hiring younger (and in some cases older, returning retirees, seniors), and those with less education and experience. People like us could get somewhat better or 'more complex' or 'advanced' jobs because of the circumstances. Say a job that would normally require an MS in ME and 7, 10 years exp, a person with a BS and 2 years could get it.

For less pay. Because of NAFTA, etc. What was left had to cut costs to try to stay competitive.

Of course there were few cuts in mgmt. pay or expenses.

Wage gap? Try this: How about when you see that someone has more $ racked up on their expense account, in a few months, than you are paid annually? Not an exec either, some joe blow sales guy.

Waste. Gross mis management. No money to R & D. Conferences in Bermuda. No solutions. The grunts doing the work of 3 people.

And BS like this: We consider eng. to be part of mgmt, because you're salaried, therefor - no overtime. Also, you can't join any unions.

Does that sound familiar? ALL TYPES biz's took up that.

And all of these things affect us ALL. Or you could look at it this way - when they start screwing over one group of people - chances are - YOU'RE NEXT.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join