It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Players So ‘Upset and Distraught’ Over Chants That They ‘Weren’t Able to Finish the Game’

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: amicktd

That is my answer, and it's the same as the other one you've gotten.

If you go through life letting every little thing someone else says dictate how you feel about yourself and your worth, then you are in for a pretty crappy life.

At the end of the day, you control you, not anything someone else says about you, and the only opinions that should really matter to you are the ones coming from those who know and love you, not random strangers from the opposing side of some athletic event.

Lol, hey if it makes you guys feel better to make fun of these little girls as snowflakes because they were subjected to a pretty cruel situation then go right ahead. Let me step out of this ego boost moment for you guys. Have fun

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Trash talking isn't necessarily unsportsmanlike. It depends on what is said.

This incident crosses the line, but I can be pretty sure your brother did some friendly trash talk of some sort or another. Almost all athletes do. It's part of the psych game a team engages in with each other and with the other team. Look up locker room material to see. Nine times out of ten, what is said isn't so very bad, but it gets plastered on the locker room bulletin board to be used as motivational material before a game anyhow.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

And don't let me get in the way of your hyperbole, by all means.

*sigh*

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

While you are right, that they probably should not have walked off the field..
They definitely didn't deserve what was happening to them. They made the choice that they felt they needed to.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

That wasn't trash talk, it's called racism. You guys can paint it whatever color you want, but at the end of the day what that crowd did was racist.

Anyone that considers what was done to these girls as trash talk, was very sheltered as a kid and definitely didn't play sports.
edit on 12-4-2016 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd
Anyone that considers what was done to these girls as trash talk, was very sheltered as a kid and definitely didn't play sports.

Several of us have pointed out that we had the exact same thing done to us when we played High School sports.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o
Correct. And, nobody has denied that that is precisely what happened.

What some fail to acknowledge is just how poor of a choice they made. Life...is a bitch. You will face an never ending occurrence of stupidity and ignorance. If your only recourse is to pack up and walk off, you will fail at life miserably. Not only will you fail, life will run rough shod right over you.

So, do we continue to promote an ideology that is doomed to failure? Or do we teach kids what life is actually like? Maybe even teach them a couple of ways to handle the stupidity that they will encounter along this ride?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

That wasn't trash talk, it's called racism. You guys can paint it whatever color you want, but at the end of the day what that crowd did was racist.

Uh-huh ... tell yourself whatever you like. I played and competed all my life from grade school up to college and have my collegiate letter to prove it.

You'll note I have never defended the crowd, not once. I have only said that the girls should have worked through it. Sometimes, you run into hostility from the opposition and from the opposing crowd. If you get in the habit of letting it get to you, they win.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

And don't let me get in the way of your hyperbole, by all means.

*sigh*

Thats exactly what these "Snowflake" threads are is a bunch of hyperbole. It's been proven in thread after thread now. Every generation thinks the next generation is a snowflake. Making a thread to call an entire team a bunch of snowflakes because they walked off the field and one girl cried is called hyperbole.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Chanting negatives at a game is never a good thing and going racism is a no-go of course.

But I remember the whole stadium laughing and pointing at me after I tripped over the ball and hopped towards the coach with my broken leg. Everyone was laughing and pointing at me. Over 2000 people.
I could have felt really bad, get upset because they laugh at me getting hurt real bad.

But I bathed in it, waved my hands into the crowd, smiled, laughed about myself and now, after decades, I get tapped on the shoulder in a friendly way with a "Hey I still remembering you tripping, never saw one do it like you again" now and then.
Who cares.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

The game was held in Elkhorn against the Elkhorn team. There shouldn't have been any problem with travel distance. The Elkhorn team players parents should have found it quite easy to attend the game.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Uh-huh ... tell yourself whatever you like. I played and competed all my life from grade school up to college and have my collegiate letter to prove it.

You'll note I have never defended the crowd, not once. I have only said that the girls should have worked through it. Sometimes, you run into hostility from the opposition and from the opposing crowd. If you get in the habit of letting it get to you, they win.

You don't have to try and give me a life lesson, obviously you think they are a bunch of snowflakes because they didn't want to finish the game after being subjected to a racist situation. I disagree and know for a fact racism isn't the same as trash talk in a sporting event.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cheddarhead

The game was held in Elkhorn against the Elkhorn team. There shouldn't have been any problem with travel distance. The Elkhorn team players parents should have found it quite easy to attend the game.

I have no excuses for why the parents weren't there or didn't intervene then.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Keerist!
Im no believer in mollycoddling ( ask my sons...)
But these are not thick skinned boys whose main occupation is trash talking each other.....
These are teen girls.....they had a right to walk away....just as they had a right to kick some ass ....
Perhaps some better preparatory coaching could have turned the tide but they certainly don't deserve the # you oh so tough people are dishing out for supper....

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I'm tired of 'special snowflakes' also, but this is downright wrong.

Expecting teenage girls to 'toughen up' against on onslaught of racial based slurs is a bit much. They're teenage girls. Girls cry out of frustration and anger, it's genetic and evolutionary.

Males get angry...

If I was being taunted for being White, I would come out of the field and kick somebody's A$$ after a whole game of that. And these little knuckleheads make Trump synonymous with "racism" which is already a BS narrative. These little SH**TS don't help.

This whole "snowflake" meme has turned into a cover for bullying...flat out. And using the Trump name makes them extra stupid. Little mother****ers need their head clocked.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

The problem here isn't attempting to define the line between trash talk and racism and in sports, it's a blurry line at times. Some is over the line, some isn't.

But it's also been something athletes have dealt with and has been a part of sports throughout its history. Athletes have always found a way to deal. This soft younger generation appears to have an inability to cope with what previous generations did.

That's the problem. It's not about defending the chanting or trash talk. It's about being able to put on your big boy pants and get on with it as most previously did.
edit on 12-4-2016 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

link   

No, I was referring more to the idea that we were making fun of them. I'm not making fun of them. I am disappointed that they are being taught that they should never face any adversity in their lives and never feel any upset or discomfort, that no one will ever dare to ridicule them in any way and if someone does ... then they should simply take their ball and go home as the only possible appropriate way of dealing with the situation.

Think about real life and tell me you have the luxury of dealing with things in that manner no matter how upsetting they may be.

For crying out loud, I taught inner city school as a white woman, you think I didn't face racism?! What was I supposed to do? Curl up in a ball in the corner and cry over it or simply walk out? On a room of junior high kids?

link   

edit on 12-4-2016 by DigitalVigilante420 because: Please disregard

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I am disappointed that they are being taught that they should never face any adversity in their lives and never feel any upset or discomfort, that no one will ever dare to ridicule them in any way and if someone does ... then they should simply take their ball and go home as the only possible appropriate way of dealing with the situation.

So if you had a little girl and at a school event she was called some of the most disgusting things you can think of, because that's what racist people do. You would just tell her to suck it up and stop being a snowflake? If so, that's fine and where we disagree.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I think it´s their choice if they walk off or not, but in my eyes, it was a bad choice.
At the end of the day, the crowd got what they wanted.

They would have eaten you alive and done the same to you as they do to their fellows, because they are kids/teenagers.
To funny thing is, back in my days, when authority was recognized to a certain point, nobody would have dared to even make snyde remarks to the teacher. Not because you got a ruler slap, because he would tell your parents or even bader, directly to the father.

He then would make sure to get some respect into you. Not saying it was a good experience but it put you straight.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join