It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tom DeLonge AMA

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: Vector99

originally posted by: Vector99
a reply to: nonspecific

My opinion was not on the "member" of ats as you are trying to bait into, no. It was the opinion of the forum event itself, aka the thread. Really a let down. Previous AMA's have been incredible, this one wasn't. Take that however you like.

Did he not deserve the same level of respect and politeness that any other member does?

I never said anything about Tom, just the thread event.

it was a let down big time as far as an ATS AMA goes.

but we do not usually comment on the quality or content of another members thread outside of the topic of discussion.

THIS thread is contradictory completely to what you just said.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Yes it is.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: Hex1an

It's an impossible format for discussion... Tom tried to answer every question asked, it felt like he was just doing his best to accommodate everyone, I imagine it was difficult for him.

It's not 'impossible,' but I for one am glad you pointed this out

We forget that the AMA guest is sitting on the other side of their screen and can only think and type as fast they are able to. Imagine posting a thread that gets thirty questions in half an hour and each member is expecting a fully detailed answer? Imagine if some of those questions were practically unanswerable due to their philosophical nature?

Some of those waiting for an answer get uppity and start complaining and, all the while, more questions are building up. It's a tough ask to be an AMA guest around here. In the midst of that we had at least one person going out of their way to derail the thread.

In my opinion (just that!), AMA guests should be afforded the time it takes to write their answers. Whether we agree with them or not, we can still be friendly and polite.

AMA is a great initiative, I hope you consider my suggestions.

The guest should only consider answering 10% of the questions to allow themselves time to get their message across.
Perhaps this should be advised?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Cherry picked questions

Single line answers

Not a shred of evidence given

I don't care if he's a rockstar or a scientist or God, without any evidence to back up his claims his words offer little substance so to me he's just like all the rest that have come before him expecting us to take his word and have faith that he's telling the truth which I'm sorry but it just doesn't work like that.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
Cherry picked questions

Single line answers

Not a shred of evidence given

I don't care if he's a rockstar or a scientist or God, without any evidence to back up his claims his words offer little substance so to me he's just like all the rest that have come before him expecting us to take his word and have faith that he's telling the truth which I'm sorry but it just doesn't work like that.

I just went through the thread. I wasn't well and missed it. Even the most practiced of ATS members, with the format of the site, couldn't have kept up with half or a 1/4 of the questions and answered in the depth we expect. The answers mainly came from his book. People should probably read the preview chapters, free.

AMAs are, on most sites, more conversational and don't have to have evidence, linked sources. etc. The Things They Don't Want You to Know AMA was in this vein. AMAs on reddit are even busier and the person being questioned does what they can.

yes, 'cherry picked', he picked what he thought he could answer and not get too far behind. I would have done the same.
edit on 12-4-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

So what's the point in it if it's just yet another random person giving their opinion without any shred of evidence to back up their claims ?

Literally anyone could have done the same AMA, we're supposed to feel honoured or something because he's a rockstar ?

Maybe it's me but I don't really care if you're in the media spotlight or not I'll treat you the same way I treat everybody else and hold you to the same standards of scrutiny and scepticism as everybody else

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Would it be possible to temporarily close AMA threads after a set number of questions have been asked so as to allow the 'Expert' to make some answers?

The thread could be reopened to questioners afterwards, either to pose more questions or respond to the 'Expert's' replies.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
a reply to: reldra

So what's the point in it if it's just yet another random person giving their opinion without any shred of evidence to back up their claims ?

Literally anyone could have done the same AMA, we're supposed to feel honoured or something because he's a rockstar ?

Maybe it's me but I don't really care if you're in the media spotlight or not I'll treat you the same way I treat everybody else and hold you to the same standards of scrutiny and scepticism as everybody else

Then why did you not simply ignore the thread as you would have done with any other of the millions here that have no interest to you?

Some people liked it and that's that.

Some members think that they have a right to decide what and what is not allowed on ATS lately.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   
What did you expect? Most ATS users are just horrible people.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   

I guess I'm wrong for expecting better from ATS, so much for denying ignorance when apparently all you need for your opinion to be taken as gospel is to be a rockstar

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Bull# man, you're jealous. And you were expecting getting "spoon-feed" by facts?

Real aliens has reasons why they don't share the facts. It's for security reasons.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: boozo

They think for your own safety rather than your selfish desire to know.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: berenike

Would it be possible to temporarily close AMA threads after a set number of questions have been asked so as to allow the 'Expert' to make some answers?

The thread could be reopened to questioners afterwards, either to pose more questions or respond to the 'Expert's' replies.

It's an idea that maybe SO could consider - way out of my pay grade

I wonder if future guests could be forwarded a few good questions to get things started off on the right footing? At least it'd stop the rush from the usual suspects to get the first heckles in and give the guest some space to relax.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   

I wonder if future guests could be forwarded a few good questions to get things started off on the right footing? At least it'd stop the rush from the usual suspects to get the first heckles in and give the guest some space to relax.

I mentioned a similar thing in the March madness thread.

If this is what happens when a rock star is invited imagine what the next one could be like...

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   

is relevant how

Vector99's question in no way implied acceptance of rude behaviour; why try to say otherwise. Comprehension skills!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   

I mentioned a similar thing in the March madness thread.

If this is what happens when a rock star is invited imagine what the next one could be like...

It's not a bad idea and keeps the arsonists out of the thread for a while.

With David Icke on the horizon, it'd give the guy that opportunity to gather his thoughts. We want a free and easy flow and it brings its own problems...

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DuckforcoveR

I was also disappointed to see no one asked about a breakaway group from this planet,but in the end there are those still here on ATS that know a great deal more than some of the AMA guest here in the past.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I thought the ass kissing and fawning was cringe inducing. I did some gentle mocking. I'm not embarrassed about doing that but everyone who puckered up to kiss his behind SHOULD BE.

He's a band member who wrote a book. One of thousands out there and not supplying anything new and certainly not automatically deserving of the level of fawning he received. No...if Buzz Aldrin were to do an AMA...then I would understand. But seriously, Tom?
edit on 12-4-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014
I thought the ass kissing and fawning was cringe inducing. I did some gentle mocking. I'm not embarrassed about doing that but everyone who puckered up to kiss his behind SHOULD BE.

He's a band member who wrote a book. One of thousands out there and not supplying anything new and certainly not automatically deserving of the level of fawning he received. No...if Buzz Aldrin were to do an AMA...then I would understand. But seriously, Tom?

So will you show a little more respect for Mr Icke then.

He was just a UK footballer turned tv presenter who wrote a few books.

Or will you attempt some light mockery when another guest is invited?

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Just going to through my little "rant" in here, since it's a rant thread and this appears to be the place...

What a disappointing AMA...
I didn't ask any questions or participate, but I did read the entire thread as it was progressing. Kind of annoying, watching all the fanboys (and girls, no doubt) salivate just because it was Tom. (I say that as someone who, in my younger years, listened to a bit of blink)....not the place for that fanboy garbage though.

Of course, that didn't bother me as much as the fact that Tom brought, well, basically zero freakin' substance and then got all uppity because people here called him on it. What was it he said, "just be grateful and quit complaining"....LOL...."trust me", you'll have to because....well, I have no proof besides my word. If you want the rest, get the book
Obviously shameless plug is obvious....and shameful.

You can't bring that kind of non-substance to a place like this and not expect to get called out. Take that sh*t to fb or something where the fans can stumble over each other to defend you and hang on your words.

...man, I really hope Icke isn't promoting something when he shows up here for his AMA. Hopefully, he'll bring something more than Tom did. I'm a bit on the fence with Icke, but I have a question or two in mind, just have to decide which ones to bring since he's only going to have time for so many and I don't want to be redundant.

Tell ya what though. If Icke comes up in here and is promoting something he is selling in his OP (like this last one) I won't even bother to participate....I'll probably read it, but....idk.

This place, I thought, was for SHARING information and for actual debate and FACTS. Not a place to plug some recent book and tell us (vaguely, I might add) what so many here already say on the daily.

Honestly, yesterday, with the "be grateful" and "stop complaining" style comments and the one liners from the "guest"....put me right off. A bit uppity and arrogant, if you ask me (which no one is doing, but you're getting my two freakin' cents any damned ways
)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join