It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Labour Party and anti-Semitism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The Labour Party in the UK has often been cited as anti-Semitic. This may be because many people "of the left" are activists for causes like Palestine, and the frustration against Israeli policy neatly translates into a general dislike of the Jews. It may also because the Labour Party are filled with ignorant people. It was a reason why I stopped my membership of the Labour Party a few years ago.

BBC - Luton Labour councillor Aysegul Gurbuz suspended over Hitler tweet

Another tweet on Ms Gurbaz's account suggested Iran could develop a nuclear weapon to "wipe Israel off the map".

The Telegraph - article

Unfortunately for Labour, the election of Corbyn as its leader has thrown a spotlight on a nasty kind of politics that, until last year, the media were content to ignore because of its irrelevance. Corbyn’s association with, and friendship of, the Hamas terrorist organisation is a good starting point: here is an organisation which, far from denying its anti-Semitism, proudly states its commitment to killing Jews in its own constitution.

It is convenient and traditional to label the far Right as anti-Semitic, but in fact the Left is also anti-Semitic. A rich history of distrust of Jews coupled with a dislike of Israel gives voice to fears that supports a worldview that is able to entertain the type of views spouted by the Luton councillor Aysegul Gurbuz (above). The surge Left-leaning activists as new members following Corbyn's election to lead the Labour Party, may have brought in a new intake of Jew haters and associates of Jew haters. If there are more Labour orientated scandals around anti-Semitism and no leadership from Corbyn to stamp it all out, the Labour Party will cease to have any relevance morally, and be another reason why they will be unelectable.

Labour candidate Vicki Kirby suspended for anti-Israel tweets

Daily Mail article on Gerry Downing

Discuss, but please keep it civil.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Yet they had a Jewish leader in Ed Miliband , if the party was anti-Semitic would that have happened ?
The Labour party nor the left is anti-Semitic , they just don't fear speaking up against the actions of a racist government.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Suspending for the Hitler tweets that's fair enough and not needed in todays society, even if it's just an opinion of one person, in their position they should know better than to publicly rejoice Hitler

However suspending someone for calling out Israel on its policy just shouldn't happen

Being Anti Israel is NOT the same as being Anti Semitic

It really annoys me how it's fair game to call out nations on their policy from Russia to China to North Korea to Iran to Saudi Arabia to UK to USA. But dare to call out Israel on any of their policies and suddenly you're a racist bigot who hates Jews ?

If Corbyn can't differentiate from negative opinions on a nations policy and negative opinions on a "race" (and I use that term loosely as religion should not be counted as race) then he really should not be head of a political party

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

The Labour Party in the UK has often been cited as anti-Semitic

If that was true, then pray tell me why The Labour Party has a " Labour Friends Of Israel " fraction within The Labour Party ?

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 10-4-2016 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
There is an element of antisemitism in left wing groups around the world, including in the US. And antisemitism is on the rise generally. But a lot of it is coming from right wing groups.

These facts are worthy of concern. But not (at present) alarm.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

If that was true, then pray tell me why The Labour Party has a " Labour Friends Of Israel " fraction within The Labour Party ?

en.wikipedia.org...

Thing is though, when even the Islington luvvie group newspaper the Guardian questions Corbyns ideals on the subject you have to wonder if there is something behind it.......

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Accusations of anti-Semitism.

A shot of desperation.

Have you heard? He assaulted a lesbian the other day. Why don't you make a thread about that? Is it because none of this negative reporting holds up to reasonable scrutiny?

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Moresby

What is Anti Semitism though ? It seems to be absolutely anything negative towards Israel that is classed as Anti Semitic these days which has clouded the true meaning of the phrase which as far as I'm concerned is hatred at a personal level towards anybody Jewish.

I hate Israel as a country for a lot of its policies, but I do not hate the people of Israel. Does this make me Anti Semitic ? In Corbyns mind yes it would, however in reality I am not

What we need to be doing is raising awareness on the massive difference between hating a country and its policies and hating the people who dwell within said country. Otherwise we could gradually edge towards a state of existence where the discussion of foreign policy of ANY nation is outlawed because it's Anti (whatever) and therefore a bad thing

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

What is Anti Semitism though ?

Most of this.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Your link reads "antisemitic attacks on the rise".

Rather than "Reporting of antisemitic attacks on the rise".

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Moresby

originally posted by: Discotech

What is Anti Semitism though ?

Most of this.

Sorry, no results here.

It does show links but all it points is news articles with the modern day warped view of Anti Semitism, when I say what is Anti Semitism it's a rhetoric question we all know what it truly means and that isn't this modern day warped version where any negative opinion on Israel and its foreign policies it classed as an attack on Semites

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

Your link reads "antisemitic attacks on the rise".

Rather than "Reporting of antisemitic attacks on the rise".

It's a web search. That was the term I used. Your pedantic point, however, is addressed in a number of the articles the search returned.

If you wish to offer further information on the matter you're welcome to do so. That's why we have a forum.

And, again, I said this is an issue for concern not alarm. But antisemitism is on the rise.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I can't see that point directly addressed maybe I'm not looking in the right paragraphs?

It was pedantic, because I'm tired of this version of the race card repeatedly popping up when the Tories are in trouble and losing ground.

I'm no labour supporter but I have to call out the agendas when I see them, this one is so obvious it shouldn't need calling out.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
If speaking out against the atrocities carried out by the Israeli Government is deemed anti-Semitic, then I think that shows the ignorance of the accusers.

There are a lot of Jews world wide that protest the actions of the Israeli Government, are they also deemed anti-Semitic in your book?

The Isreali Government and their supporters are quick to claim people are anti-Semitic for speaking out against them. Anti-Zionists without a doubt. Anti-Semitic? No, please learn the difference.

This Tory Government are full of unapologetic Zionists, just like New Labour were full of them.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: alldaylong

en.wikipedia.org...

Thing is though, when even the Islington luvvie group newspaper the Guardian questions Corbyns ideals on the subject you have to wonder if there is something behind it.......

www.theguardian.com...

Ha ha, so when it suits, you believe what the Guardian says?

The article is dated August 2015, If there is a trace of truth in this, I am sure the Tories would have made more of it, wouldn't they?

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

I can't see that point directly addressed maybe I'm not looking in the right paragraphs?

It was pedantic, because I'm tired of this version of the race card repeatedly popping up when the Tories are in trouble and losing ground.

I'm no labour supporter but I have to call out the agendas when I see them, this one is so obvious it shouldn't need calling out.

Take my point as supportive of yours. I said there is a problem of antisemitism on the left (which would include the Labour Party) all over the world. But antisemitism is on the rise generally. And much of it comes from the right.

My link was in answer to the question: "What is antisemitism though?"

And those were a series of articles primarily dealing with a rise in things like murders, physical attacks, painting swastikas on synagogues and that sort of thing.

Further, my link said "most of this". Because I don't think everything described in everyone of those articles is antisemitism. And, for the third time, I say this a cause for concern not alarm.

Which I believe is a very tempered reaction when we are in part discussing a rise in antisemitic killings.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Of course the Tory party is the original anti semitic hang out, Labour has long has jewish members and even many of it's MP's are ethnic Jewish.

Here is something about Tory's but this is only recent as to look at Nazi and Fascist idiology in the Tory party would fill about a hundred Encyclopedia Britannica's and maybe then some.
www.telegraph.co.uk...
leftfootforward.org...
www.opendemocracy.net...
struggle.ws...

There is simply so much more in common between the Tory party and the Nazi's than there ever was or ever could be between Labour and the Nazi party.

However there are scumbag racists in both party's though I strongly suggest there are more in the conservative party.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Of course the Tory party is the original anti semitic hang out, Labour has long has jewish members and even many of it's MP's are ethnic Jewish.

Here is something about Tory's but this is only recent as to look at Nazi and Fascist idiology in the Tory party would fill about a hundred Encyclopedia Britannica's and maybe then some.
www.telegraph.co.uk...
leftfootforward.org...
www.opendemocracy.net...
struggle.ws...

There is simply so much more in common between the Tory party and the Nazi's than there ever was or ever could be between Labour and the Nazi party.

However there are scumbag racists in both party's though I strongly suggest there are more in the conservative party.

Even if everything you say is true. And some of it isn't. But, even if it is, it doesn't excuse antisemitism on the left.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Which I believe is a very tempered reaction when we are in part discussing a rise in antisemitic killings.

I thought this thread was about antisemitism within the Labour Party?

How many Labour politicians have killed a person of the Jewish faith?

edit on 10/4/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
These tweets were written 2-5 years ago.

I read about it this morning.

Verbatim
Adolf Hitler = Greatest Man In History

What we do not have is context.
It could easily have been what is known as a subliminal tweet in response to what she had seen on her timeline.

Considering she has worked interfaith and wants to do more for "holocaust rememberance", maybe there is more smear to this than we are led to believe.

Verbatim;
Hahaha maybe Iran could finally get a nuke and wipe Israel off the map...

Well pardon me, but I've seen that said sarcastically all over the Internet in satirical response to the Zio-Overlords bull# rhetoric.

In other words...
Why should we believe a word of this...
Especially at a time when the Tories are desperate to deflect from their haphazard use of tax payer funding for pro EU propaganda, as well as their very own Dear Leader Dodgy David being under the microscope for his disgusting abuse and hypocrisy of tax avoidance...

Something he calls immoral, all he while doing it himself.

"Look, would you look at the left hand people, ignore the sleight of hand by the right."
edit on 10-4-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: Spelling.

edit on 10-4-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: Spelling.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join