It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome Home [PIC2016]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
[non-writer]
Welcome Home, by Kaelci.

She stared up at the old decrepit mansion, a tremor in her heart and tears beginning to form in her eyes as they moved sadly over the broken boards and smashed windows. This building… there had been a time when it stood so majestic! She recalled skipping across the veranda, swinging back and forth on the now rusted porch-swing, giggling and laughing with her grandmother at tea! And now it lay in ruins. An unfitting end for a beautiful creation built solely by the bare hands of her grandfather. A longing sigh escaped from her as she bemoaned the loss of days long gone. Her grandparents… may they be resting in peace.

Wiping away a tear that had dared to fall upon her cheek she contemplated entering the building, perhaps there was something left that she could salvage for her family; a long overlooked memento, old photographs, perhaps even forgotten treasures from days long lost. Her eyes slid over the ramshackle mansion once more and the mild hope began to fade away. Anything whole would be an absolute boon… the building appeared to be in a state of such utter disrepair. She was beginning to think that finding anything would be nothing short of a miracle.

Watching exactly where she placed her feet, lest they fell through the rickety woodwork, she carefully ascended the stairs that led to the once grand entrance; the old wood creaking and seeming to protest the unwanted weight of her body as she took each and every step. With each step that she took, her heart seemed to thud harder and louder, echoing through her body and reverberating in her ears. A faint sweat beginning to dot her upper lip and her brow as she peered through the entrance and saw the remains of what had once been an almost magical foyer.

A brief flashback as her mind’s eye envisioned how it had once appeared; floors of wood the deepest of browns, immaculately polished. The finest chandeliers dangling from the ceiling, golden coloured candles adorning each crystal teardrop. Paintings encased in golden frames hanging from the walls, portraits of family members from throughout the ages. An angel crafted from the purest white marble had sat in the centre of the room, chocolate-coloured staircases leading to the upper floors on either side of the marble being that exuded an aura of both hope and pain.

Reality. Her gaze clouded over as she saw what little remained. The wooden floorboards were torn and rotting… the crystal from the chandeliers no longer remained, dull bronze fittings hung from the ceiling encased in cobwebs… the marble angel… her breath caught in her throat as she stared at the headless statue. Where was the head! She shivered as she peered up at the statue, an ominous feeling of déjà vu flowing through her as she stared at the space a beautifully carved face of an angel should be.

Averting her eyes, she hugged her arms around herself as she cautiously looked around the foyer… there was nothing here. She carefully continued her path, watching her footsteps as she avoided the more severely rotted floorboards, making her way past the headless statue to climb the stairs… she was careful to keep her eyes focussed on the wood beneath her feet, she could not stomach the thought of looking at that un-whole statue even once more.

An almost inaudible voice seemed to form around her as she ascended the stairs, whispering unintelligible words into her ears as she reached the second floor. No, no, no. Surely her imagination was running away from her. This building of ill-repair, as perfect a building for any horror story, the aura was simply playing tricks with her! Surely…

She stood on the second floor, momentarily and stupidly leaning against an old railing to gain her bearings, leaping back just in time as the railing snapped and smashed onto the floor below, the echo of the shatter shuddering throughout the entire building, the sound seeming to yell about her ears, the soft whispering almost accusing her as she fell against the wall with her heart pounding in her ears. She had to be more careful!

She sat there for several minutes, allowing her heart to slow and her body to stop trembling, watching the dust of the recent commotion lingering in the otherwise still air of the manor. If she had fallen… that would have been disastrous. Her inner voice scolded her relentlessly for adding to the ruin of this dilapidated former glory, not seeming to care about the possibility of lying broken and mangled on the faraway first floor. A shudder ran through her body and she climbed to her feet, her hands still shaking as she decided where she should search first.

Gazing up and down the hallway, she clasped her hands together in a vain effort to slow their tremors, and she forced herself to ignore the soft whispers that were attempting to penetrate her ears; they didn’t exist, it was pure imagination. She took a step forward, another and another, slowly and painstakingly making her way through the corridor, a sadness flooding her heart as she reached the hallway’s end and looked upon a rusted mirror coated in cobwebs and dust sitting angled against the wall.

Memories once more assaulting her as she thought back to a time when this place had been more grand. An image in her mind of her younger self staring into this mirror, her grandmother at her back, braiding her hair and smiling at her in the reflection. Her grandmother’s smile… so gentle, so loving, and so warm. Alas this mirror was ruined, at least she still had her memories.

She turned from the mirror, failing to notice the ghostly shimmer within as she slowly creaked open the nearest door. This room had once been her own… her eyes shimmering with tears as they gazed upon the rotting canopy above the mouldy bed. All evidence of splendour had long departed, anything of worth had been long removed, she did not know why she had bothered returning to this place! She took a few more steps into the inner room, gazing about sadly as the tears once more welled up in her eyes. There was nothing here.

”Come play with us.” She blinked, looking around wildly as she heard that whisper once more, clearer this time than before. She took another step into the room, a chill at her back, an unnatural breeze swirling about her body, sweat dripping from her forehead as she saw her old dolls in the corner by the door. Heads smashed, eyes missing, faces broken… her eyes widening… the head of the angel lying beside the pile!

A mist formed before her eyes, still swirling about her body, around and around, eerie whispers seeming to come from within as it wound about her body, completely enshrouding her. ”Bethanyyy… please stay… we are so alone…”

No, no, no! This was impossible! Her heart raced within her chest, her arms flailing as she tried to escape the encircling mist, the voices entering her ears and her skin crawling. She spun about wildly as the ghostly mist surrounded her, she needed to escape, now! She took a step forward, almost tripping over the head of a doll that was not there mere moments ago. Her heart pounding faster and faster, she took another hurried step away, this time almost tripping over the head of the angel! Oh, God!

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
”Bethanyyyyyy… don’t leave… stay with us… grandmother is here too… she misses you!”

No longer caring about the rotted wood and broken floorboards, Bethany leapt from the room and raced down the hallway, almost tumbling down the stairs in her panic, the voices surrounding her, trying to reach out to her, trying to tempt her back. No! She would not stay! She would not play with them! She was getting out of here! Stumbling over the broken floorboards, the crunch of wood in her ears as she caused more of the decaying floorboards to break and crumble, an angry howl echoing around her as she sped out the front entrance and leapt down the stairs, keeping her eyes fixed in front of her, too fearful to see or to even imagine what could be following her.

Running faster and faster, her feet flew as they took her from the grounds of the old manor and into the nearby forest, her desire to flee so strong that she did not notice that the trees of green were now dead and leafless, the trunks no longer brown but burnt and blackened.

She ran for miles, and not once did she look back, the tree trunks passing her by rapidly as ran along the beaten path to escape this dreaded place.

It seemed an eternity, but finally an exhaustion reached her, and she fell to her knees, sobbing on the cold floor of the dead forest. She felt so cold… a chill wind blew around her as she lay in broken fear and shattered despair. The voices of her grandmother’s manor still resonating within her being. The moments on the forest floor seemed eternal, it felt an age before her weakened arms managed to pull herself upwards, her body wobbling and swaying as she stood on her legs sapped of strength.

She raised her head and stared through the broken trees, dismay filling her body as she once more looked upon the ramshackle manor, the ghostly visage of her grandmother looking kindly down upon her. No longer having the strength to move, she simply stared at the ghostly woman, emanating the kindness she once knew and still longed for… she could no longer resist as the apparition approached her and touched her face with its ethereal hand, the wrinkled face gazing down at her lovingly.

“Bethany… welcome home.”

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Great Story!
Very good!

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Errollorre

Thank you!

I just finished reading everyone's stories! Everyone has written so fantastically
I look forward to reading the next ones that will surely pop up over the coming hours and days.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   
B,

That was awesome hunny!

I love the poetic flow of the way you write.
i couldn't stop reading once I'd started.

I can't describe how much I am enjoying all of the entries to this contest!

Well Done!

Gx

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Thank you, Gordi!!

That means a lot coming from such an accomplished Writer as yourself

I love all of the entries I've read so far! Such imagination! Everyone's writing is amazing!

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: kaelci
Star and flag! That was great! I felt her anxiety! Nicely written

Good luck!

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Why are you not published?!

Fantastico!!!!

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird
you're just too kind miss birdy

everybody's stories are wonderful!

a reply to: natalia
thank you!!

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Wow, wonderfully done my friend!

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
That was nice and creepy. Good job!

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Thanks you Miss Elfy and Sir Wolfie!

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
You're welcome. Thanks for the story.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

[FuriousApplause]
Incredible! I was hooked, start to finish. Love your style.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

You captured the bittersweet pain of nostalgia perfectly, that was a delight to read. I love the way you write, it seems effortless.

B x

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I agree with everyone, that was a great read! I see 'writer' status in your future.

Look at you go girl!

I'm so impressed with all the talent, this contest has been great so far!!

S&F
jacy

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl
a reply to: beansidhe
a reply to: 5leepingWarrior

Thank you so much for all of your words!!

I agree, Jacy!! I have loved every story so far, stars and flags for everyone and their amazing imaginations!

new topics

top topics

join