It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(PIC2016) The Dark One

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
(PIC2016) The Dark One

Sophie stood at her mother's grave, solemnly staring at the granite head-stone. Her eyes fluttered, blinking away tears and the wet flakes of snow that were sticking to her lashes. Bending ever so slightly she dropped a handful of blackened rose petals onto the frozen ground beneath.
"See you soon Mama," she whispered while straightening up and fidgeting with her veil. Her fingers worked through the sheer material, feeling for the pins that were holding it in place. Slowly she removed one and then proceeded to stick it into the palm of her left hand. Letting three small drops of blood fall onto the petals she then turned away murmuring, "It is done".

It was eerily quiet and Sophie tilted her head to look up at the tall bare trees. Not a bird in sight, no signs of life at all.
"You really did leave me all alone, didn't you?" she lashed out.
Lingering, waiting for an answer...but hearing none at all, she slowly made her way back towards the manor.

After pulling the heavy wooden door open she slipped inside and kicked her boots off. Inside the foyer was a huge photograph of Archangel Michael perched in between a double staircase.

Sophie's mother had taken the picture herself while researching cathedrals in Europe. She had explained that the dual staircases represented the 'stairway to Heaven', and how she believed there was more than one way to get there.
"There's a left path and a right path, Sophie...but they both lead to the same destination."
The grieving girl smiled sadly to herself, picturing her mother gracefully ascending to her final resting place.

A thick layer of dust had collected on the furnishings, making the old house appear rather sad and forgotten. There were knick-knacks and treasures from all over the world, and memories in every corner. Lifting her skirts, Sophie headed up the stairs towards her parents' chambers. As she entered the room she lit a candle...the hydro and services having been cancelled months ago.

Her mother's belongings still sat in place as if waiting to be used. As the girl traced her fingers over figurines and little crystal decanters, her eyes came to rest on an ornately carved mirror. Reaching towards it she let out a cry and recoiled, seeing a spiderweb criss-crossing the glass. On closer inspection Sophie noticed that the spider's web was actually in the window, and she was seeing the reflection.
edit on 9-4-2016 by jacygirl because: sp

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Another good story Jacy, very descriptive for so short a submission.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Shivering, she pulled the curtains closed.
"I'd rather be alone," she grimaced, shutting the web and it's creator out of view. Picking up the candle holder, she left the room and headed towards her old bedroom. The heavy wooden floor creaked and groaned as she made her way down the dark hallway. Stopping to sneeze, she cursed the dust...cursed the spider...and cursed her indecision.
She knew her mother had passed away, not knowing which path her own daughter would choose...left or right...light or dark.
"Does it really matter in the end?" she shrugged.

With a heavy sigh she turned the knob and pushed the door open. Squinting in the candlelight, her eyes scanned the contents...the princess bed covered in plush animals...the peeling posters on the wall. As she paused to settle on the edge of the quilted comforter, a mouse scurried across the floor squeaking at the intruder. Startled, Sophie bolted to her feet, hearing and feeling something 'crunch' beneath her.

Bending down she picked up the remnants of a broken porcelain doll.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

"My dolls!" she gasped. There in the corner of the darkened room was the disembodied head of every doll her parent's had brought her back from their travels. She fell to her knees, sobbing.
"I'm sorry...I'm so sorry..." she cried while rocking back and forth.

Eventually spent, Sophie collected herself and got up off the floor. Closing the door to her past, she slowly descended the staircase and pulled her boots back on.
"See you soon Mama" she said quietly.

Then she tossed the candle onto a cotton sheet covering the chaise. She watched the flames begin to engulf the room, then purposefully walked through the front door, locking it behind her.
"It is done." she said.

jacy

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Awesome!!!

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Another good story Jacy, very descriptive for so short a submission.

Aww, thanks hunny!
You wrote before I finished posting it all, lol.

Now I must go read everybody else's.
jacy

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Wow! That was great story! Loved this!!!

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Thank you sweetie! You should be entering...I mean, you ARE a writer!!

That was fun, with the pictures. I thought it would be more difficult to put them together.
(you really should try it!!)

jacy

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Well done Jacy. My daughters name is Sophie also so I was predisposed to like it after the first word.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

Thank you so much In4ormant!
Sophie is the best name, lol...I really do love it!

I really appreciate you taking the time to read my story and reply!
jacy

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Sorry, I thought it was a cliff hanger or a TBC.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

She burned her past? Yay, my kind of character.

I like the two paths to heaven concept, nicely done!

S+F

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

She did indeed!

Thank you so much! Means a lot coming from you fellow writers/competitors!!

jacy

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I like it,

She had explained that the dual staircases represented the 'stairway to Heaven',

I used the stairs more or less the same
, great minds think alike!

edit on 9-4-2016 by Indigent because: great minds and sometimes indigent too

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Indigent! Thank you!

Yes, I saw we had that similarity, lol.

Great minds, and Indigent too!

jacy

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Hey Jacey!

I liked the concept of letting go of the past - good imagery! The blood on the black rose petals...nice!

S&F

= AB

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Good grief! I'd say it was dark but it did get all lit up in the end.
Seriously that was a good story.
I said it before, you are brilliant.
Write more. Write often

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Brilliant writing once again MsJacy!

Great flow and imagery!

Well Done You!

BigG

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I feel like you went into a sort of 'funk', lately, and the writers block was pervasive...
It hurt my heart because you are truly one of my closest friends, someone I feel I can share EVERYTHING with and it pains me if you are hurting...
I was THRILLED, OVERJOYED, and basically OVER THE MOON to see that you are writing again!
You, my priceless and dear friend have a gift and I am blessed and humbled (we all are) to have you share it with us!
To the beginning of a new chapter and the return of one the best writers around (MY personal favorite)!

Tres Bien! Bravo! Well done!
edit on 9-4-2016 by TNMockingbird because: slow the typing down TNM!!! LOL

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

I feel like you went into a sort of 'funk', lately, and the writers block was pervasive...
It hurt my heart because you are truly one of my closest friends, someone I feel I can share EVERYTHING with and it pains me if you are hurting...
I was THRILLED, OVERJOYED, and basically OVER THE MOON to see that you are writing again!
You, my priceless and dear friend have a gift and I am blessed and humbled (we all are) to have you share it with us!
To the beginning of a new chapter and the return of one the best writers around (MY personal favorite)!

Tres Bien! Bravo! Well done!

Birdy - So well said, I wish I could multi-star your post!

(Jacy just needs a wee kick up the bahooky sometimes! ROFL - In a nice way... ahem!)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join