It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daesh in Damascus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
It seems they are in range of the centre of Damascus, I would have thought the doorstep would have been cleared by Mr Putin and Assad as any gains from other Syrian areas are not much use if the flag is taken..

Have copied most of the article below as the news site linked ANM Almasdarnews ( Bottom most link ) is good and safe but a bit add frenzied..

One year after entering the Yarmouk Camp, the Islamic State of Iraq and Al-Sham (ISIS) has imposed full control over every building block – save Street 15 and Al-Ja’ounah – inside this strategic district in southern Damascus. According to local reports, Jabhat Al-Nusra (Syrian Al-Qaeda group) surrendered to the ISIS terrorists at almost every street block they controlled in the Yarmouk and Palestinian Camp districts after a brief battle this week. With Yarmouk Camp under their control, ISIS is now able to threaten the central Damascus districts of Al-Midan and Al-Zahira. www.almasdarnews.com... | Al-Masdar News

However, the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) and Palestine Liberation Army (PLA) have a strong presence in these aforementioned districts, along with Al-Tadamon and Al-Qadam. A small group of ISIS terrorists originally left the Yarmouk Camp District after a three-way ceasefire agreement was put in place between the rebels, government, and ISIS. The government forces left the Yarmouk Camp District as part of the ceasefire agreement that would allow for the ISIS terrorists to be transferred to Al-Raqqa; however, the latter reneged on the ceasefire and quickly seized the abandon areas. www.almasdarnews.com... | Al-Masdar News

The PLA they sound friendly ( PLO ) www.globalsecurity.org...

www.almasdarnews.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: skywatcher44

Given their recent territory losses I doubt Daesh are a threat to Damascus itself , I was unaware of this Yarmouk Camp but from reading the Wikipedia entry it seems they've been there for a while.

early April 2015, most of the Yarmouk camp was overrun by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, sparking armed clashes with Palestinian militia Aknaf Bait al-Maqdis, associated with Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood. According to the Syrian Observatory of Human Rights, the ISIL attack resulted in 40 ISIL militants killed; Palestinian sources reported about 12 camp residents killed, while Syrian source reported 13 killed; and independent sources also confirmed two fatalities from mortar fire in an adjacent Damascus area. It was reported that despite Palestinian militia resistance and parallel bombing by the Syrian Air Force, ISIL still controlled 90% of the camp by 6 April. The situation in the camp came to the attention of the UN Security Council, which aimed to discuss the prospects of some 18,000 residents of the occupied camp.
en.wikipedia.org...

Daesh have some pretty strong enemies these days I think and hope their days are numbered and the world will soon see an end to this abomination although I have no doubt this type of religious extremism will continue under any name they choose.

We are reaping what was sewn.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Big difference between capturing a camp (they already occupy) on the outskirts of Damascus and 'being in Damascus', somewhere they have yet to show their mugs.

ISIS is losing, but lets keep up the awful threatening terrorist facade.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I love it. One week ISIS is everywhere then Russia shows up and they're not, then the next week they're back with a vengeance blowing up Europe, now suddenly they're back in Syria. Don't blink you might miss it, kinda hard though, easy to spot them there Toyotas.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Big difference between capturing a camp (they already occupy) on the outskirts of Damascus and 'being in Damascus', somewhere they have yet to show their mugs.

ISIS is losing, but lets keep up the awful threatening terrorist facade.

Just reporting the news from a good source. It looks close enough to the center for me and I am wondering why this has not been dealt with already ?

www.google.co.uk...@33.4904227,36.2938221,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x1518e0fc136705b9:0xb2e471ad896d9f06

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: skywatcher44

Just reporting the news from a good source.

About that miasma, depending on that 'good source' ISIS is in around and outside Damascus. They have been trying to establish a foot hold forever from the North through suburbs… I got reports from 2013 showing this effort ongoing around and in Suburbs of Damascus, not in the city itself.

This is before the Russians started air strikes…

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
3 M Video Update..

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Syria’s Palestinian Yarmouk camp almost fully taken by Daesh: PLO Apr 12, 2016 Daesh has taken control of most of the Palestinian Yarmouk refugee camp in Syria after pushing out a rival Takfiri terrorist group, says the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO). “Daesh began attacking positions of its former ally al-Nusra and took control of 60 percent of the camp," said PLO chief in Damascus Anwar Abdel Hadi on Tuesday. According to Hadi, three civilians have been killed in the clashes between the rival factions in the camp, located in southern Damascus. "Some Nusra fighters joined Daesh ranks. Daesh then besieged the last remaining Nusra positions and demanded that they leave the camp," he said, adding that now some 6,000 civilians and 3,000 Takfiri militants inhabit the camp The terrorist takeover has been confirmed by the so-called Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and has been announced in Takfiri media outlets.

www.facebook.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   
ISIS is certainly putting new pressure on Assads forces. Before they with Russian help drove away the other rebels they had a buffer zone. In Iraq and Northern Syria ISIS is on verge of collapse. Trapped in a city surrounded by enemy forces with US guided bombs falling on you every time you step out of cover is not a great way to recruit people. You need victories or at least things that look like them. So you get terror attacks in Turkey and Europe and ISIS trying make some small moves on Assads now overextend forces. Between Iran and Russia slowly slipping out the back door and having to secure more captured territory Assads forces may not be up to the task and ISIS smells opportunity. And for some reason Assads forces do not do that well against ISIS, I suppose they just do not have the experience in fighting them as the Iraqi's and Syrian rebels thanks to the buffer zone that once existed with the rebels in the middle.

I do not think ISIS has much left in the tank but, if they take everything that is not trapped and head that way and make a big push on Damascus they could sell it as big win even if it ultimately failed. Think of the Tet offensive in Vietnam where the VC suppose to be on the verge of defeat launch a big offensive. Despite the fact they were defeated so badly the Viet Cong ceased to be a fighting force the heads lines made it look like the war was expanding and the VC were stronger than ever. This would the last move ISIS could make. Lets hope it does not get to that.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
www.almasdarnews.com...

The Islamic State of Iraq and Al-Sham (ISIS) launched another large-scale offensive in the east Damascus countryside after their last assault was repelled by the Syrian Armed Forces and Free Syrian Army (FSA) just ten days ago. ISIS began their large-scale assault by storming the Syrian Arab Army’s (SAA) checkpoints outside the Tishreen Power Plant near Tal Dakwah; this resulted in a fierce battle on Saturday afternoon that pushed well into the evening hours. The Syrian Arab Army was able to beat back both waves of the offensive, thanks in large part to the accuracy of their artillery and missiles which picked off the several enemy combatants near the Tishreen Power Plant. www.almasdarnews.com... | Al-Masdar News

new topics

top topics

join