It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

`WALK OF SHAME' - Obese flyer booted from flight in US

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Why would how he arrived in Vegas in any way change the dynamic of this situation? What if he walked? Ran? Drove? Took a taxi? Took a train? Took a bus? What If he originated in Vegas?

Holy crap, what if he was on a different airline? Or had a different crew?

How he arrived is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is how he left.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve
a reply to: grainofsand

Baffles me that someone would refuse to take responsibility for an issue that is only occurring because they are present, but we are dicks for not accommodating his size meanwhile he couldn't care less about how his problems affect us as a totally unrelated party. And then have the god damned nerve to call us "those people" for not just submitting. Un F'ing believable.

Agreed

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
How about I park my truck halfway into your parking space, scratch your car doors, then tell you to suck it up? I mean, you wouldn't discriminate against trucks, would you? I might be offended if you insult my beautiful luxury SUV. Have a problem with it, take it up with the guy who designed the small parking space.

How would I feel? I would think you're a bad driver and go about my day.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

Typically when I travel, i book a round trip ticket. Its cheaper that way, unless you have a travel agent giving you a thousand connections, anyway. So my assumption is that he flew on UA.

Did he have trouble flying in? Did he get walked off on the way in? Did he, at any point, have anyone say, "Excuse me sir, you will need to purchase 2 tickets pursuant to airline policy.....". I assume that most folks agree that an airline can't just leave you stranded once they fly you into a city on a round trip ticket. That their initial acceptance of your person for transport is them accepting the entirety of the round trip ticket.

For just a minute, lets not make the conversation about how it impacts you so badly. Its obvious this is a sore spot for you....but the story here is more about how the airline humiliated this man.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Outrageous, yes I agree.

originally posted by: OrionHunterX

This is outrageous!

Racism and highhandedness by airlines especially in the US is despicable, appalling and contemptible.

Racism, what race is he - "fat people"?? Not sure that is a race ... yet. Give it five more years, maybe.

originally posted by: OrionHunterX

This is outrageous!

Racism and highhandedness by airlines especially in the US is despicable, appalling and contemptible.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
but the story here is more about how the airline humiliated this man.

Agreed, in an ideal world there would have been discussion at some point before the guy boarded the plane.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

No, agreed. There should be a better system to make sure it's known before boarding.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thr0es

No, agreed. There should be a better system to make sure it's known before boarding.

What? To prevent you raising a fist to folk who complain you're invading their paid for space?
Lol.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Not sure how many here have heard of ryanair on this forum, but they are a cheap airline in UK/Europe and do everything they they can to save money, charging customers for everything, with even a plan to charge to go to the toilet Standing room only

These are old links and did not go through, but are much more draconian than the "You are fat, buy two seats policy", which I am sure any sensible grown up airline has already documented.

On another tack, is it the airlines responsibility/problem that people are becoming obese? It is a medical term, btw source one source two . should they change their seating sizes because people are getting wider (I am one of them) ? Or be required to ask if you want "fat bastard size seat" when clicking online (joking)

Maybe they need a row of special seats for the larger flyer - at the back of the plane, maybe?

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I paid for my space as well. Sorry that it makes some people uncomfortable that I take up most of it. Guess it's intimidating.

Do you think I look forward to sitting in a cramped space for hours at a time? I can only imagine what it'd feel like to be humiliated publicly.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: 1984hasarrived

They actually shrunk the sizes to what they are today.

Regardless, part of the issue is airlines like that. Spirit is in the US and is cheap as well. The one time I flew it because I had to, the company paid for the economy plus with extra leg room. It's first come first serve seating and they overbooked that class and I had to sit in a regular seat. That's the flight I mentioned that my feet werent on the floor. I sucked it because I needed to get to my destination for work but I can imagine thatd create a bigger issue if I didn't fit in the seat width wise.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I paid for my space as well. Sorry that it makes some people uncomfortable that I take up most of it. Guess it's intimidating.

Do you think I look forward to sitting in a cramped space for hours at a time? I can only imagine what it'd feel like to be humiliated publicly.

Take 100% of your space up as you like, but attempt to steal a square inch of mine and I'm defending it, because I paid for it.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
What do you mean they "shrunk the sizes" ?

The seat sizes are pre determined, it is the people that are getting larger. I do not think there is a "perfect" size, but airlines have to to cater for the norm - if you are outside of that then you pays (sic) extra.

They actually shrunk the sizes to what they are today.

Regardless, part of the issue is airlines like that. Spirit is in the US and is cheap as well. The one time I flew it because I had to, the company paid for the economy plus with extra leg room. It's first come first serve seating and they overbooked that class and I had to sit in a regular seat. That's the flight I mentioned that my feet werent on the floor. I sucked it because I needed to get to my destination for work but I can imagine thatd create a bigger issue if I didn't fit in the seat width wise.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

For your reading pleasure..

www.usatoday.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

This is why I said it's the airlines causing the issue. They have been making the seats smaller and smaller while the average person is becoming larger.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

i am that uncomfortable around all people.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

This is why I said it's the airlines causing the issue. They have been making the seats smaller and smaller while the average person is becoming larger.

Market forces will win the day, don't fret

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

If you want a good laugh at tall people, there are YouTube videos of tall people pleading to stand during Spirit airline flights and recording how cramped they are in their seat.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Fairy nuff

But my original question remains about airlines and asking people on checking about what size of seat they want - do they want to Upchuck (sorry upsize).

Of course the airlines have parameters within which they must work, ie the size of the airline, and my question is should we be required to fit within those parameters? Or should they assign some bigger seats in the plane?

For your reading pleasure..

www.usatoday.com...

edit on 10-4-2016 by 1984hasarrived because: typo - duh!

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I think some industry protocol should be established which all airlines need to follow to make sure this is accounted for pre boarding.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join