It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

`WALK OF SHAME' - Obese flyer booted from flight in US

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
When they put a test group of Native Americans and Hawaiians on a diet that their ancestors would have eaten they lost weight..

Plus I believe diets should be individualized, what works for you, one size does not fit all.

articles.latimes.com...

"We started thinking of the traditional Hawaiian diet as a good way to lose weight because ancient drawings, photos and writings depicted Hawaiians that were slim and strong," Shintani said.

With donations from community groups and help from volunteers, Shintani gathered a group of overweight native Hawaiians in 1989 and put them on the diet.

They were allowed to eat as much poi, breadfruit, sweet potatoes, taro and fruit as they wanted, along with controlled amounts of fish and chicken. Calorie intake was reduced from an average 2,594 calories to 1,569, while fat was cut from 40% to 7%.

"Western nutritionists used to say poi was bad for you," Shintani said. "It just goes to show there's more to traditional knowledge than what you might think."

then there is this

It's XXXXXXXXL UK: The obesity crisis sweeping Britain is laid bare as demand soars for 8XL (80-INCH!) waistbands

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... xzz45MtJMd3Q
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

There is more to this then they just eat to much, it is what they are putting in our food.

Maybe it has a more negative affect on some than others.

I am the only one in my family that struggles with weight and we all eat the same food,

So I am always dieting just started another, at 66 I can't exactly exercise like I used to, going paleo this time.
edit on 9-4-2016 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

As far as the bullies who get off on treating overweight people as if they are plague carriers, they are just bullies and consider the source. People with low self esteem always look for reasons to attack others and physical differences are easy targets. If an overweight person were not available they would just find something else like clothes worn to vent on.

If you spill over into someone else's paid space and expect them to float the bill for it, you're the bully. If you're fat and someone observes you as being fat, and you call that bullying, in reality you're the bully and attacking common sense.

But you're also arguing a strawman, that people are treating the overweight as "plague carriers" and the foundation of your argument is based on emotion.

That's bullying others based off personal feelings and feeling offended.

You're essentially arguing fat is not fat and anyone who observes fat as fat would simply direct their venting elsewhere. That argument has no legs to stand on as it's observation, not emotional venting. The emotional venting is coming from those denying fat is fat and wanting others to tip toe around it.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: OrionHunterX

Since when did "fat" become a race?

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
a reply to: SeaWorthy

It's not genetic. If it were, there'd be fat people all over the world in similar percentages.

It's the food we eat here and a lack of activity levels. Lifestyle issues.

Americans draw their genetics from across the world, whether Asia, Europe, South America or Africa. You'll notice when travelling to those parts of the world obesity is at far, far lower levels. Why? Healthier eating and a higher energy output.

This is pretty simple stuff.

There's also countless fatties who took up exercise and a healthy diet and lost the weight.

Nearly 30 percent of the world’s population is either obese or overweight, according to a new study that also names the top 10 countries with the most obese people.

That certainly makes no sense as genetic preposition would not be the same all over the world would it.
It is a complicated subject and not simple at all.
Read up
world’s obese people, 13 percent, live in the United States

it is acting by revealing a sub-population with a pre-existing genetic predisposition to excess adiposity. There is substantial evidence for the heritability of obesity, and research in both rare and common forms of obesity has identified genes with significant roles in its aetiology.

hmg.oxfordjournals.org...

There are countless individuals who lose and regain as my hard working brother-in-law he was heavy from birth and his whole family are the same and they all have cancer in the stomach and intestines...genetics, but he is a good and kind hearted Man and I somehow find that is all I see when I look at him.

news.discovery.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

Since you brought it up

that people are treating the overweight as "plague carriers"

Is fat catching? Scientists discover the cold virus that makes you obese
By FIONA MACRAE
Last updated at 16:48 17 September 2007

Forget crash diets and expensive gym memberships. The key to keeping trim could be as simple as washing your hands.
Scientists say obesity may be caused by a virus that causes colds and sore throats and is spread through dirty hands.
Their research could hasten the development of an anti-obesity vaccine.
The notion that being overweight is contagious may also help explain soaring rates of obesity - which raises the risk of diseases like heart disease and cancer.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I've been on united airlines and other American Airlines and they were the best flying experiences I've had. The Canadian airlines are the true scum of the airline industry. I can buy last minute tickets to Central America on UA for the same cost as a 45min flight within Canada. From what I experienced the first class has 2 seats beside each other while the rest is 3 seats packed closely together. They should force very obese to go first class or buy 2 seats and sit in the isle.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Lol, I just bluntly say things as I see them, same in 'real' life.
I think we should all do it a bit more.
Honesty is always the best option

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom
www.iuns.org...

We don't see obesity levels like this in the UK, France, Germany, Spain or Italy. Why?

Apparently you do according to the article I posted, in fact obesity is becoming a world wide problem. and has been for quite some time, there is more to this than meets the eye.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

You think someone is ugly so you say so, that is what 5 year olds do.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Inflicting emotional pain on another for physical differences is bullying. Civil people are able to deal with issues without the need to make themselves feel superior.

You need to reread what I said I think. I did not comment at all on whether it was right or wrong to charge for an extra seat. I commented on the fact this person should have been informed prior to boarding, rather than being dealt with in public way on board which they had to know would be embarrassing. Not dealing with it during check in is incompetence.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I spend a fair amount of time in Eastern Europe where my wife is from. We stay in the middle of the capitol while there and literally walk the streets of the capitol every day and don't see any overweight people. Took only 5 mins upon landing in Chicago on a return trip to see someone far larger than anyone we saw for the entire month prior.

I've also worked in nutrition before and I'd argue a big part of the problem is our food. European food is healthier, less GMOs, additives, chemicals, coloring, etc. Other big difference is simple energy output, Europeans walk far more.

But as you said, it goes back to choices. All the information of what's healthy and what's not is readily available at the click of a mouse nowadays. Anyone can go for a 30 min walk after work each day, or before work, or join a gym. Increasing physical activity is a choice.

I have yet to meet anyone, anywhere who eats salads everyday, mostly eats fresh, prepared food, exercises most days and is noticeably overweight. Gym regulars are fit, as they're always working out. Join a cycling club, most are fit. Join a hiking club, most are fit. Join a ski team, most are fit. Join a crossfit gym, most are fit. Go to McDonald's, you'll likely see far more overweight people than if you go to a salad bar.

I for one am happy exercising and a healthy lifestyle is becoming more popular here in the states. But it's also starting to cause a division between those who do and those who don't. Now more than every you can generally tell if someone exercises and eats healthy vs those who don't.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

originally posted by: grainofsand

You think someone is ugly so you say so, that is what 5 year olds do.

Nope, I would phrase it as "I am not attracted to that person at all" or "I am repulsed by what I'm looking at".
You may be attracted to fat bodies but I am not.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Inflicting emotional pain on another for physical differences is bullying.

What is received and processed as emotional pain depends on the individual.

I don't agree with that viewpoint as it's a slippery slope where almost anyone can claim "I'm offended" based on their personal viewpoint. And increasingly in America, more and more are doing just that, claiming they're offended as we trend deep into a PC culture.

Fat is fat. If someone is offended, it's largely on them. I mean, the OP claimed it's racism.

I'm sure some fat people are offended, but there's others who'll say, yes, I am fat, time to change! Time to adopt a healthier lifestyle! And that goes back to the individual.

Are people not supposed to call fat, fat, because some might have emotional pain? If I fail a test, I failed a test. Is the teacher supposed to call it something else because I might have emotional pain?

I genuinely don't understand your stance. Fat is fat, always has been. Is the problem with those calling fat, fat, or with those who in present day America take offense to a word and its definition which has been used since its creation? Are we supposed to change our vocabulary or twist the definition because some might get offended?
edit on 9-4-2016 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I find this an extremely strange thing to argue about.

It seems important to you that resorting to name calling not be considered as rude? They know they are fat, you know they are fat, so what reason other than bullying could there be for shaming them in public?

To each his own.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

It seems important to you that resorting to name calling not be considered as rude? They know they are fat, you know they are fat, so what reason other than bullying could there be for shaming them in public?

To each his own.

Could you please quote his 'offending' remarks please?
I obviously missed them lol

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

To each his own.

Where did I name call and where was I rude?

Are you now arguing observing fat as fat is name calling, or using fat correctly and by definition is rude?

I mean, would you argue the inverse, calling someone skinny is name calling and rude if they're sensitive about being skinny? When my grandmother used to tell my sister "you're to skinny, eat something", is that name calling and rude?

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

edit on 9-4-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I may have been arrested were I that man. I would have went full berserker mode. Oh my god.....now i need to go take a walk.

An excellent way to lose some weight.

One ticket, one seat? Cool. But it's MY SEAT for the duration of the flight. One ticket, one seat, MY seat. It's not racist, ignorant, or mean-spirited for me to want my entire seat to myself. These people who blithely accuse others of this are ignorant themselves. Your "disorders," no matter what causes them, from psychological issues when you were mistreated as a kid to DNA to prescription drugs, do not entitle you to ooze into my seat. The fact that the government bailed out an airline does not entitle you to ooze into my seat.

Let's establish some territorial boundaries here. That's YOUR seat. This is MY seat. If you are too big for YOUR seat, that is not my problem and I have zero obligation to "accommodate" you. If the airline wants to do something like that, it's between you and the airline, but it is not between you and me.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Or you could, you know, be an adult about it and suck it up for the 2 hours you're on the flight.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Yes, shift the responsibility to the innocent patron sitting next to you who you're intruding on.

It's hardly adult behavior to take up someone else's space they paid for and suggest they "suck it up".

How about I park my truck halfway into your parking space, scratch your car doors, then tell you to suck it up? I mean, you wouldn't discriminate against trucks, would you? I might be offended if you insult my beautiful luxury SUV. Have a problem with it, take it up with the guy who designed the small parking space.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join