It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

`WALK OF SHAME' - Obese flyer booted from flight in US

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   

New York:
PTI

A man weighing about 175 kg has claimed that he was kicked off a United Airlines (UA) flight in Las Vegas and had to undertake a “walk of shame“ due to the heavy handedness of the crew.

Errol Narvaez says he was stranded in Las Vegas after he was asked to leave a flight to New Jersey on Tuesday for being too large. “I never want anyone to treat me like that again,“ said the 31-year-old bookstore manager who was in Las Vegas to celebrate his birthday .

`WALK OF SHAME' - Obese flyer booted from flight in US

What's with United Airlines? Earlier, an Orange County, California man says that he was almost kicked off an American Airlines flight because another passenger complained that he was too fat for his seat.

Reacting to the incident, UA said: “To better ensure the comfort of all customers, United requires that customers purchase a second seat if they can't sit with both armrests lowered and without encroaching on the seats of their fellow passengers.

Really? So you throw a guy out from the plane? Why wasn't he informed before boarding the flight? This is outrageous! Racism and highhandedness by airlines especially in the US is despicable, appalling and contemptible.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
This has been normal practice at airlines for many years, if you're too fat for your seat you must purchase 2 seats. I don't want someone's blubber flowing over the edge of the seat on to me, lose some weight or buy 2 seats. There is no reason for fat people to be imposing themselves on other people at $1500.00 a ticket.
edit on Sat20164V201640230 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: DonVoigt
I assume he didn't walk to Las Vegas. Some other plane allowed him to get there without incident or danger. This sounds like bad customer service.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
I assume he didn't walk to Las Vegas. Some other plane allowed him to get there without incident or danger. This sounds like bad customer service.

You don't know what he ate when he was there!

Joking aside, you are correct, unless the outward journey was un-crowded so they could make an accommodation and turn a blind eye.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: OrionHunterX

You'd think this would be an increasing problem with obesity rates always climbing in the US. Last time I looked it was around two thirds being overweight and the outer edges of that figure would be people sized like Errol Narvaez.

Airlines should work out that a lot of customers will be priced out of the market unless they bring back some space in the seats. Maybe they should start adding 'your weight' at the ticket desk and on websites? That way the airlines will know how many massive customers they can accommodate on a flight. They'd have to add extra-sized seats too.

Guess it's cost/benefit time? Are there enough obese passengers to justify a change of policy? Is there enough money to be made by double-charging them?

I'm 100% in favour of airlines adding more room

P.S. just had a GTFO moment with the new RyanAir advert. The plane in there is a prop with big seats and wide aisles. It's a crammed in, tiny seats and room-for-one aisles. Grim.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   

So what happens if Hafthor gets on the plane?He weighs more than 180kg(400 lb).

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   

What is complicated about this? If you can't fit into the space for which you paid, you should have bought more space. It has nothing at all to do with racism.

Actually, you're race baiting.

Why would anyone have to be informed that, if you can't fit into one seat, you must buy two? Common sense says hello.

And if you spill over into someone else's space, you're stealing from them, eating up space they paid for.

Selfish. Self-centered.
edit on 9-4-2016 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Ericthedoubter

But 2 seats fatso

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ericthedoubter

It's not just about weight, if the person cannot lower both armrests then the policy of a few airlines is you must purchase two seats.

I agree with Kandinsky that airlines should have wider seats, it's silly that they haven't but that's greed for you.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I remember when i toured the states a few year back, that a lot of the obese were using train for travel. One guy I was chatting to was going from NYC down to Cali somewhere (forget which city now) the 20hrs it took to get to Chicago was long enough for me lol.

Seriously though they should just give you a total weight limit per seat (including luggage) of say 110kg or whatever people agree on. So if you want to bring a ton of luggage or are obese and need 2 seats then you have to pay for 2 seats.
edit on 9-4-2016 by johnb because: s

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: johnb

If they can piggyback the damn shuttle cross country then I think they can haul a couple of heavy passengers with no problems.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

originally posted by: Ericthedoubter

It's not just about weight, if the person cannot lower both armrests then the policy of a few airlines is you must purchase two seats.

I agree with Kandinsky that airlines should have wider seats, it's silly that they haven't but that's greed for you.

What happend to private company there rules?

Or afe you worried it might effect you ?

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Of course they can but that is not the point I am trying to make.

A person weighing 60kg takes a 26kg suitcase on plane and in Europe anyway they will be charged an excess baggage charge because of its weight.

Another person weighing 120kg takes a 21kg suitcase on board and as the suitcase is not heavy - no surcharge for weight.

So the totals are 86kg charged extra due to weight and 141kg - no additional charge due to weight.

If airlines are levying surcharges on baggage weight why not total weight as that would surely be fairer.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Where did I say they couldn't make their own rules?

No it wouldn't effect me I'm 5'11 210 lbs.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   

I had a 4 hour flight from Tenerife last year and it was almost unbearable. Small, uncomfortable seats and vertical backrests with about 16" width. Mr Narvaez couldn't have sat in one of those seats without the next passenger losing space they already didn't have.

Airlines have done their sums and averaged out the smallest seats and maxxed out their capacity to get more passengers. They've been considering designs for standing only planes to get even more bodies on board.

I agree, it's greed that's moved the flying experience from being a pleasure to being something like going to the dentist.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DonVoigt

I understand it. I had the same experience on a train. The passenger was so big and his fat spilled into my seat I got out of my seat and tried to sleep with my bag on the floor between two carriages. 15 hour ride overnight. I had people stepping over me.

Luckilly one of the rail staff understood my plight and gave me an empty first class seat whgich I obligingly crashed into.

The fat pig who took over my seat was smelly, sweaty and also required to go outside for a smoke at each stop. I also guess he got what I also got. A seat to himself.

In saying all this I want to convey that fat people need to consider others rather than their gutsy selves.

Sure, I understand an eating disorder but don't punish me with your rolls of fat which spill into my seat.

My thoughts and as always,

Kind regards,

Bally.
edit on 9-4-2016 by bally001 because: Comprhension mistookings

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

It's a shame the way the airlines have changed over the years I remember when flying use to be a completely different experience.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Yes, and I guess I'm one of the greedy. I have 7 kids and if we want to travel I need to pay for 9 tickets. Sorry to all but this is the way things worked out in our lives. Cheaper to travel air. We're all average weight. Not skinny and not obese.

So if airlines have to accomodate those that indulge in their obesity and the airlines have to make bigger seats, hence airfares will go up, I do not agree.

Get the fat rich overweight pigs to pay for double seats.

Me and my family are not going to pay for their obesity and eating disorders.

Kind regards,

bally
edit on 9-4-2016 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2016 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: Kandinsky

It's a shame the way the airlines have changed over the years I remember when flying use to be a completely different experience.

Oh yeah, cheaper flights have been great, but the current cost is having minuscule seats and barely any leg space. I'm not overweight and pretty average in height and build.

The experience used to be on-board movies, music channels and headphones and 'slightly' better food. Then again, I remember going on lads holidays and we'd be smoking at the back of the plane and drinking airport vodka and beer. Good times and I wouldn't want them back! Still, a return to the days of comfort would be popular if they could only do it without exorbitant prices.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Watching the news now and the USA has just ruled against a law against cramming in more seats. Apparently the cattle class flyers are already ordering planes with more seats than we are used to.
Also American Airlines ripped out a row a few years back to give everybody more room (with a hike in price to cover the costs) but most people didn't want to pay so they have gone back to less space.

edit on 9-4-2016 by johnb because: for clarity

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join