It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally some good news for humanity.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: gort51
Oh yeah, you're right Gort!! I forgot they used a saucer in Forbidden Planet. I liked that movie; was ahead of it's time.

The reason I said Buck Rogers is because the video seemed so surreal to me. It didn't seem real.

Elon Musk is a cool guy; very special person. He's got his fingers in a number of interesting projects. I look forward to seeing how things progress. It may turn out he puts a human presence on Mars before NASA does. Should be interesting.

Later!!

PS: Oh yeah, maybe I was thinking of Biker Chicks From Mars, not Forbidden Planet...

edit on 4/8/2016 by netbound because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

There are many people that have achieved exceptional goals. Most of them have put all their life to perform one great achievement. But there are some we admire -without putting them on a pedestal- for the many different gifts they seem to have whereby they put the whole world in motion. How they are doing that? An enigma to us almost as great as that about the moon (we exaggerate).

Elon Musk is gifted in many ways, multifunctional, brave, hard for himself and for his workforce, emotional sometimes, a billionaire, but most important he seems to have a genuine humble personality. And for sure, he's a man. Although we are stubborn in our concept that women -generally spoken- are superior to men in some way (you have to read our site to comprehend).

Elon Musk is a superman. He knows the future lies in space. He knows we have to colonize space. But about our moon he doesn't talk much. Why not? We don't know, but we know his greatest client is NASA and NASA doesn't like the moon to be colonized. To Elon Musk (and NASA) our moon is just good enough to create a moonbase, by doing so we can explore Mars and space in general. According to him (and to NASA with a little reservation) we must soon colonize Mars. In fact, that's what we conclude when we read many interviews with the man.

You become a mystery to us mister Musk if we read that you apparently don't see the need to colonize the moon, not even just a little bit. Believe us or not but all problems about lunar habitats could be solved according to many scholars and then we even don't mention the moon tunnels.

And when you said Mars is only 150 times further then our moon -every two years Earth and Mars reach their closest point- we even thought for a second that with your Tesla racing car you must have lost contact with the idea of distance.

ONLY 150 times? Is that your way of saying that reaching the moon must be -what all insiders probably know- just a piece of cake?

from www.evawaseerst.be...

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

Ah okay... so that should give them plenty of time to see how it holds up under various types of conditions.

It is also worth knowing the Bigelow Aerospace, the company which produced the BEAM module carried up on this Dragon flight, already has 2 test modules in orbit. They are called Genesis I and Genesis II, and they have been in orbit for just under 10 years and just under 9 years (respectively). See link here. While the BEAM module will provide important data about how inflatable habitats behave and how they can be used by humans, the technology is already pretty solid.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Elon is a rare breed, I heard he gave the patent for the Tesla design out for free to anyone who wanted it just to speed up the revolution of electric cars over gas powered. Hopefully humanity can catch up in regards to how we live at peace with and respect our surroundings, instead of planning to nuke into every celestial object we can reach. Aliens are going to shoot our rockets out of the sky if we don't change how we do things--if we don't gain a further understanding. They've seen what we've done to earth

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   
It was a great watch.

Now we need more robots that can go and explore space while we can just sit back and watch comfortably from the ground. No need for heroes' stuff, using robots is much more efficient. We don't have a spaceship yet that can go very far and we don't have an advanced robot which can be used for anything. If only for the economical costs, robots are expendable and it's software can be developed while an astronaut's training took years and many million dollars and would be lost in case of an accident. We can let them mine in space and build even more robots and spacestations/ships to prepare for human habitation, which might well be our great great great grand children at this rate.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   

That is astounding.

The ground landing was astonishing and wonderful, and made me giddy with excitement, but THIS is something else entirely.

I think it is necessary to note the following:

Not only did they bring the rocket stage back to Earth safely, but they landed it on a surface whose inclination and relative altitude were changing as the descent and touchdown were unfolding. To put this in perspective, this is a much harder feat than docking a spacecraft to a station or satellite. For all that a satellite or space station is moving, and at quite a pace, it's movement relative to the craft which docks with it can be accounted for with much less immediacy, most of it coming down to manoeuvres made in the early stage of the approach, cutting speed correctly, alignment, and things of that nature, not to mention being prepared to be extremely slow and careful.

This landing however, was made on a constantly shifting surface, at fairly rapid pace, and pulled off with such aplomb as to boggle the mind. It is a much trickier feat in terms of vector of approach, thrust management, and timing. I am absolutely gobsmacked. Damn thing landed like a Thunderbird!

Hearty congratulations are in order.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ngchunter

That's absolutely insane! And to be a part of it, well, damn, good for you.

We have some really awesome people here on ATS.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Good stuff!!!

Let the private sector get in on space and we will leap forward quickly.

Too much red tape when the government controls this stuff.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: proximo

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes. Using someone else's accomplishment to justify your political beliefs. Stay classy ATS. Doesn't it feel good to be right 100% of the time? People who think differently are so gross and will never be as great as 'Muricans.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Congratulations to all of the Space X team.

In the present age of growing greed and selfishness, we're lucky to have pioneers like Mr. Musk and Mr. Branson who are putting their money where their mouths are. I hope Space X goes from strength to strength.

Nice one.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
This is definitely amazing!

However it does make me wonder, why is he so anxious to colonize mars by 2025? What does he know that we don't?
Mr. Musk has stated several times that colonizing mars is the best way to prevent the extinction of humanity.

Very interesting to say the least. Lets just hope he is on our side. Has anyone looked into him? Does he have any know ties to and secret societies, builderburg, ETC?

We should look into this guy before declaring him savior of humanity.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Alphaz

I think he is just saying we are and have been smart enough to realize a cataclysmic event could wipe us out. We should do something to increase our odds of survival. Sadly he seems to be one of the only people willing to do something about this.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this.

Scientific endeavor is what will free humanity from the constraints of its own economic and social constructs.

It will be science that feeds the whole world, it will be science that houses everyone, it will be science that takes us to other worlds to ensure the survival of humanity.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: netbound

It’s too bad more folks aren’t interested in things like this, rather than what Trump’s latest scandal is all about or who the Kardashian sisters are sleeping with now. Sometimes it amazes me we ever made it outta the caves and invented the wheel.

I hear you. I feel so privledged to be alive to witness the incredible human advancements coming hard and fast over the previous decades.

However, I would hazard that 'gossip' has had a significant role in human social development also. Information sharing, social cohesion, collective intentionality, reaffirming group morals vaalues etc.

Relationships represent that bedrock of Mankinds greatest achievements.

All that said .... I chose the SpaceX technical webcast over the overzealous hosted webcast.
edit on 146021924004bSat, 09 Apr 2016 11:27:20 -0500amth0000000400000020 by UmbraSumus because: Capitalization

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alphaz

However it does make me wonder, why is he so anxious to colonize mars by 2025?

Answer:

Elon Musk
Born: June 28, 1971

None of us are getting any younger

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Thank God, maybe we can finally start putting lots of people in space and become a spacefaring civilization

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

a big win for free market capitalism

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousMoose

Just goes to show you don't need the government for everything. Especially when designing and engineering.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
To bad Bill Gates is not space Geek. Imagine what he could do with his 100 billion.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The cacophony of cheering in the background as I read about the marvels of colonizing space and all. Been hearing that tune for decades.

They stuck the landing. Is that one for four?

I'd like to think all the promises of improving our lot by building ever more accurate missiles and maybe being able to mine asteroids for mineral wealth…

are somehow beneficial to anyone other than the power elite.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join