It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Xbox 360 Keeps Shuttung Down.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
My Xbox 360 keeps shutting down. It say there is a ventilation problem.

It's in an open space and I've just cleaned the dust out of it. And it's still shutting down.

Anyone have any suggestions what I could do?

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: PennyDreadfuls

Red ring of death?

Might need to send it in for repair.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

That's what consoles do...

Now me, I have a PC. I overclocked mine so good, it was running faster than I had read anyone pushed theirs too. It was so fast it would shut it self down. That's how good a PC is.

Sell it and buy a PC, I rekon.

And not one of those slow macs that pretend to be a PC.

Ahha no seriously, do they still get ring of death? Man we've not come so far from the old dreamcast have we, open it up, scrape the pins on something I even forget now, and viola. back to working.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Im no help.. sorry. I'm moving to America tomorrow. Us Aussies are being shot all over the place. lol I can't wait.

edit on 8-4-2016 by laminatedsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Need more details, how long is runing before shutting down? Does it go through the propper shutdown steps as if you shut it down or does it just blink off? Does the uptime before it shuts down decrease if you turn it right back on?

If you tink it is a venting problem you might need to blow it out with a can of compressed air or an air compresser from a distance mind you. Wouldnt want to break something while attemtping to clean it.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DeviantMortal

It runs for about 30-45 seconds before a message comes up saying it's shutting down due to a ventilation problem. Then it takes about 15 seconds before it is off. If I turn it back on right away it will shut down quicker.

I got a can off air too and blew it out. Still shutting down though.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

The 360 shelf life isn't great anymore considering all the software updates they've done.

Most of the older generation 360's are starting to give out just past the 5 year warranty mark.

I've repaired several in the last few months for the same issue.

It's most related to the CPU getting too hot cause the heat sink glue is gone.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

You could have another blockage deeper inside, if your adept in taking things apart I would recomend doing so and cleaning it out that way. If you have never taken apart a 360 before I would also recommend using a guide, a quick google search will yield a multitude of results. Another problem could be a bad sensor thats tells the system its hot when its not. Also listen to see if the fans even turn on at all. Your fans could be burnt out and the system takes the extra heat as a blockage.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Try resetting the cache if it stays on long enough to.

WARNING: ALL MICROSOFT UPDATES WILL BE ERASED!!

To clear the system cache. Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings. Highlight any storage device, and then press Y on your controller. (It doesn't matter which storage device you select; the cache will be cleared for all storage devices.)

I understand that it may be an overheating issue, but there might be some corrupted update files on your storage devices causing the message to appear. Also, the fan may have burned out which might prevent the xbox from running if the motherboard can't detect it.

edit on 8-4-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Try turning upside down and giving a gentle shake ( take any game out first ) Ensure the charger is plugged in fully and change the outlet ? Try it on its side if you usually have it horizontal or vice versa ? Just small efforts to try that cost you nought..
Hope you can sort with no frustration..

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Put a laptop fan underneath it? That could help to cool it down but it sounds like you need to either repair it or trade it in for a new one.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Buy an XboxOne
Problem solved

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o
Buy an XboxOne
Problem solved

Hey Bill Gates, didn't know you were a member.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: skywatcher44
Try turning upside down and giving a gentle shake ( take any game out first )

Omg, that says so much about consoles.

well more those that have them. hee hee

Like telling someone not to put sugar in their petrol tank after someone said putting sugar in their petrol tank makes it more fuel efficient.

Except you did it the right way.. All those people putting sugar in their petrol tank without a clue.. on their own, by default.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Simple fix.

Get a ps4 or if you have to a Xbox one

Could be a problem with the thermal paste, Xbox 360 was notorious for that problem
edit on 8-4-2016 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
You may have a "clamp" issue. Simple fix too if thats the problem. just need a torx t9 screedriver and some rubber washers. Youtube it. Coukd be a simple ten dollar repair and a trip to the hardware store.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
computer shop will fix it easy if you take it to them. Mystic is right its prolly the thermal PAste or the FAN NEEDS CHANGING. OR it could be your power block. have you cleaned that one out yet?

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Your hardrive is messed up. Take it to gamestop buy a cheap 4g and have them put your hard drive in it. It will keep all of your saved games ect.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: laminatedsoul

Like telling someone not to put sugar in their petrol tank after someone said putting sugar in their petrol tank makes it more fuel efficient.

Except you did it the right way.. All those people putting sugar in their petrol tank without a clue.. on their own, by default.

If this is a mine is bigger than yours post good for you with your flashing lights.. most family's with children have a games console these days I would have loved one 40 years ago. They may have a computer also, I am sure not as good as yours.
Like you suggested turning off and on the simple stuff may not work but is worth the small effort maybe to try. AH.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: laminatedsoul

I gt a console AND a PC. each has its own strenghts and weaknesses. A console dont have to worry about catching a virus i s one upside. And really microsofts next X box will be modular allowing for upgrades most likely to get longer use out of the consoles. And really THAt would be cheaper in th e long run than getting a PC.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I agree with some posts. Sounds like the fan is done.The XBox probably goes through a system check when you boot it up. At 30-45 seconds , it is probably checking the fan status and shutting down to keep from damaging the CPU.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join