It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secular activist is killed after criticizing militant Islam

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   
New York Times link

In recent posts, Mr. Uddin had expressed support for a petition to remove Islam as Bangladesh’s state religion, and he had urged the government to take a tougher line with Islamist groups. In one post, he used a proverb to criticize the government’s approach to rising militancy, likening it to raising a baby snake by feeding it milk and bananas.

In the last 18 months, there has been a rise in extremist violence in Bangladesh, including a series of assassinations of bloggers or intellectuals who have criticized militant Islam. Many writers and journalists have become hesitant to publish work that could attract the attention of Islamists, and a growing list of activists, fearing for their lives, have applied for asylum in Western countries

Firstly, may these men rest in peace, and I am deeply sorry to their family's. I only have one question, we always hear that the issues with Islam are cultural that it has nothing to do with the perfect teachings of Muhammad, if this is even partially true than why do secularists have to fear for their lives when speaking out against Islam? This is the meat and bones of the issue and one that must be addressed Islam needs reform, its needs to join us in here and now where we don't behead our friends or stifle speech by killing people. I know for a fact not ALL Islamic people are like this or even support this, but the fact that some do and use their doctrine as a rallying cry to commit murder means this conversation must be had . Surely there isn't an apologist that can support this? But nothing surprises me anymore.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Even recently here in the UK a Muslim shopkeeper was murdered in glasgow for wishing Christians a happy easter.

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Well if you don't say anything about Islam, if you don't question it in any way shape or form, if you don't try to discuss problems stemming from a literal interpretation of the Qur'an, if you don't look at them in the street, if you don't celebrate your infidel religions holidays or other things, if you don't wear a cross, if you stop eating pork products, and if you appease anyone carrying the shahada, then they won't kill you. The religion if peace won't harm a hair on your heads. IF...

It's not that hard, you know..

*hands out KY jelly*

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Because they believe it is Allan's will, how can you tell someone who blindly believes that Allan is waiting for him with some children to rape and is excited by that, so excited that they can wait to get there and get a bit so they kill infidels at any opportunity, some to guarantee a place in the afterlife orgy and some to get there sooner.

At least they will disappointed when dead, so next time you are killed by a raging Islamic criminal just laugh to yourself and think, oh they are so going to be disappointed and that will make everything better, it won't make your head grow back though.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: laminatedsoul

Yes that exactly how it looks.. The same people who criticize far right ideologies in the same breath call you a bigot for criticizing Islam (another far right ideology)

It is the secular people who speak out in their respective cultures that need to be protected and not with good wishes and happy thoughts, these are the people who will encourage reform. Sadly, they are killed and constantly in fear for their lives.

This is the world we live in and this is why I will continue to stand firm, liberals fail us every time they guide the conversation away from these happenings, every time they make excuses, and it is liberal ideology that I am intent on preserving in our western cultures but in the classical sense not modern day regressives. What a #ty state of affairs, anyway thanks brother for commenting glad to see you here.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: laminatedsoul
Well if you don't say anything about Islam, if you don't question it in any way shape or form, if you don't try to discuss problems stemming from a literal interpretation of the Qur'an, if you don't look at them in the street, if you don't celebrate your infidel religions holidays or other things, if you don't wear a cross, if you stop eating pork products, and if you appease anyone carrying the shahada, then they won't kill you. The religion if peace won't harm a hair on your heads. IF...

It's not that hard, you know..

*hands out KY jelly*

Now that is just ridiculous. You win the award for stereotyping extremists into normal Muslims who outnumber Christians about 10-1 I would think. Why is that?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: laminatedsoul

Yes that exactly how it looks.. The same people who criticize far right ideologies in the same breath call you a bigot for criticizing Islam (another far right ideology)

It is the secular people who speak out in their respective cultures that need to be protected and not with good wishes and happy thoughts, these are the people who will encourage reform. Sadly, they are killed and constantly in fear for their lives.

This is the world we live in and this is why I will continue to stand firm, liberals fail us every time they guide the conversation away from these happenings, every time they make excuses, and it is liberal ideology that I am intent on preserving in our western cultures but in the classical sense not modern day regressives. What a #ty state of affairs, anyway thanks brother for commenting glad to see you here.

Oh do modern liberals fail us? I had the idea modern liberals were the only thing holding back blind discrimination and hate. Please do tell why you feel otherwise. It is progressives, not regressives. Each period in history has had conservatives fighting progressives and the conservatives have, little by little, lost every time. Just as they lost on the vote for women. Wrong: every, single, time.
edit on 7-4-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   

They want to ignore the catalyst that drives Islamists to become radicalized. It's rooted in their religion, period. When radicalized parents raise their children at a very young age to hate the west and those who don't follow their strict and twisted view of Islam, it's a threat that will never go away. There will always be young radicalized Islamists taking the place of a father or mother who will kill in the name of Islam.

There will be posters that will claim your bashing a religion, but ignore the basic FACT it's the teachings of Mohammed that incite believers to become radicalized. It's a cancer that feeds upon itself. I've always said, being politically correct and ignoring and not addressing the root problem on issues such as racism and terrorism, creates a powder keg of discontent among the population ready to explode.

If governments around the world don't address the problem, it's citizen's will. It's starting to play out in Germany.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Because the conversation regarding reforming Islam is not allowed and is guided in directions that ignore the central issue. The question remains if this is a cultural issue and having nothing to do with doctrine why are secular people in fear for their lives (and murdered) when speaking out against Islam?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

They want to ignore the catalyst that drives Islamists to become radicalized. It's rooted in their religion, period. When radicalized parents raise their children at a very young age to hate the west and those who don't follow their strict and twisted view of Islam, it's a threat that will never go away. There will always be young radicalized Islamists taking the place of a father or mother who will kill in the name of Islam.

There will be posters that will claim your bashing a religion, but ignore the basic FACT it's the teachings of Mohammed that incite believers to become radicalized. It's a cancer that feeds upon itself. I've always said, being politically correct and ignoring and not addressing the root problem on issues such as racism and terrorism, creates a powder keg of discontent among the population ready to explode.

If governments around the world don't address the problem, it's citizen's will. It's starting to play out in Germany.

The teachings of Mohammed do no such thing. Just as the teachings of Jesus do no such thing.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Because the conversation regarding reforming Islam is not allowed and is guided in directions that ignore the central issue. The question remains if this is a cultural issue and having nothing to do with doctrine why are secular people in fear for their lives (and murdered) when speaking out against Islam?

The conversation regarding reforming Sharia law goes on all over the world. It is not a question of reforming Islam.

As I have said, in other threads, in many countries, most notably Egypt, they are very tough on extremist Imams and have set strict rules on what is a mosque and what is not.

People must stop speaking general terms. It shows a lack of knowledge of the world as a whole.

Where? When? Who? What? Why? Are all important questions. Is it a third world nation? Is it a Theocracy? Ignorance or Law may be some answers.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Why do you believe religions start with " sound moral truths" ? Why cannot the teachings of Christ be criticized and contextualized just as the teachings of Mohammed? There is one verse that Christ says he came to bring the sword, (only one) how many times does Muhammad speak of war and the infidel, their is folly here ideologies are not on an even playing field, I personally think all religion is a bag of marlarky, but even if you don't agree, then you must agree that some ideas foster peace over other ideas? Why do you hold religious texts in such high regard when they are all full of violence? And why should we not criticize that which can get you killed if you do? That alone opens the door for condemnation.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
Even recently here in the UK a Muslim shopkeeper was murdered in glasgow for wishing Christians a happy easter.

And when this news dropped without any real information being made public it was already being labelled as a "far right" act by native locals. I did not hear much when it was proven that a Muslim man was the actual perpetrator? but then there is a huge number of people that seem to constantly want to apologize for these acts.

Back to the OP, you have what tend to be poorly educated people with low intelligence that are fed this BS then the outcome is anyones guess esp when you have people behind that person pulling the strings..

I have two friends that actually read the Qur'an with a western athiest head on and they said it was absolutely absurd, you then have to ask if people really do believe this stuff you are 1000000% just peeing into the wind speaking out about it as their indoctrination is so deep they will act on the orders in it to the death.

RA

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

I will say as long as Islam is not reformed and the conversation stifled and people killed for criticizing than we should just continue to expect suicide attacks and jihadist plots. The secular people are who we need to protect and support its the only way to change this from the inside out!

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Why do you believe religions start with " sound moral truths" ? Why cannot the teachings of Christ be criticized and contextualized just as the teachings of Mohammed? There is one verse that Christ says he came to bring the sword, (only one) how many times does Muhammad speak of war and the infidel, their is folly here ideologies are not on an even playing field, I personally think all religion is a bag of marlarky, but even if you don't agree, then you must agree that some ideas foster peace over other ideas? Why do you hold religious texts in such high regard when they are all full of violence? And why should we not criticize that which can get you killed if you do? That alone opens the door for condemnation.

Above, I talked about current countries.

All of the teachings can be criticized, they are daily, especially in regard to Islam every day on ATS. Both religions in question foster peace. Christ could not possibly have raised an army against the Romans and the Jews even if he wanted to. They are 2 different places and times.

Many religions talk about war. The OT is absolutely ghastly.

I have no idea why, in modern times, one religion is spoken about so horribly. The religion has not caused the problems. most educated people know that ISIS was manufactured by the US arming militants that were once useful.
The US and allies have invaded ME countries again and again and again for oil.

Now we wonder ...how did this ISIS and Al Quaeda come about? We are lucky North Vietnam isn't attacking us with a similar group.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Until people are not in fear for their lives and being murdered for speaking out I am going to have to firmly agree to disagree. There is a deep problem in the doctrine or the interpretation of the doctorine. No not all teachings are peaceful lovey Dovey or good that's silly to think otherwise. Blaming America is fine, we certainly have a hand in the mess but it wasn't the American government who killed this critic for speaking out against Islam. Regardless it's a sad situation all around and yes there is a lot of nuance.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   

a reply to: slider1982

I will say as long as Islam is not reformed and the conversation stifled and people killed for criticizing than we should just continue to expect suicide attacks and jihadist plots. The secular people are who we need to protect and support its the only way to change this from the inside out!

Islam is not a country. Saying Islam must be reformed is as useful as declaring a war on Terror or Drugs. We all know how useful and logical that is. I am not saying Islam is akin to terrorism or drugs, I am saying it is a ridiculous plan.

How many Muslims? You plan to reform them? And which type of Islam? There are several, like there are several types of Christianity.

Perhaps we should start with the Baptists.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:41 AM
link   

I don't fear for my life (and no one gets murdered)when I call that stupid asshole preacher out for advocating killing gays. Christianity has reformed..

There was a time, though now is not that time..
edit on 7-4-2016 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Until people are not in fear for their lives and being murdered for speaking out I am going to have to firmly agree to disagree. There is a deep problem in the doctrine or the interpretation of the doctorine. No not all teachings are peaceful lovey Dovey or good that's silly to think otherwise. Blaming America is fine, we certainly have a hand in the mess but it wasn't the American government who killed this critic for speaking out against Islam. Regardless it's a sad situation all around and yes there is a lot of nuance.

If you don't like religious people who kill, look up white, religious terrorists that have killed in the US. You will find more than Muslims.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 03:43 AM
link   

I don't fear for my life (and no one gets murdered)when I call that stupid asshole preacher out for advocating killing gays. Christianity has reformed..

There was a time, though now is not that time..

Christianity has not reformed. I can tell you that if a Christian Theocratic country were created, you would see a difference in what you call reform. We are already seeing it, here. Mississippi is an example. I don;t know how far it will go.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join