It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama smacks down Trump’s border wall plan

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Um...yep, still you. Now, please stop responding to me. I do not wish to talk to you any longer.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
The proposal could 'cause enormous damage to the Mexican economy' - erm, yes, that's the whole point. Is Obama really that stupid and weak?

would it matter to you?....of course not....bash Obama and Clinton....that's your game plan, all the while a significant part of the GOP voter block, is crumbling into ignorance and fear. can't wait for the "game plan" against...I mean for the rest of America
edit on 6-4-2016 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: gator2001

Um...yep, still you. Now, please stop responding to me. I do not wish to talk to you any longer.

Gladly. However, you seem to keep REPLYING to me, and as long as you do, I feel compelled to do you the honor of response.

Your argument failed on the facts, and when confronted with that, you've done nothing but whine and attack me.

.... or, actually address the facts under discussion here in this public forum about the topic at hand in a reasonable manner, and stop the screen scroll about your ideas about me or you or whatever.

For example, you claimed that a fence of about 700 miles is the same as a 10-20ft wall over 2000 miles. Can you tell us why you think that is the same thing?

You claimed that cancelling VISAs for a number of Iranians in 1979 is the same as shutting down possible entry of over a billion-and-a-half people from FIFTY different countries based on nothing more than their RELIGION.

These should be two very simple arguments to justify ... if you wish to deal with the facts.
edit on 6-4-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Hiring Americans inside of America would make it worse? Isn't that what conservatives want?

How about instead of forcing American companies to hire legal workers with a wall -- they penalize them or throw them in jail for hiring illegal, cheap labor?

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

It's ass-backwards thinking.

First you stop hiring them, THEN if that doesn't go far enough you build a wall. They'll find ways over or under a wall as long as there's hope that someone will still pay them for work.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Sure. Let Trump charge Mexico to build the wall. Assuming they actually pay-up and don't laugh at us for being idiots, all Mexico has to do is put a tax on exports to the US, including a tax on food and automobile parts, and they recoup the loss.

In the end, the US middle class is left paying the bill.

America has more leverage economically on Mexico than they have on us. We are simply reallocating power back to the nation with the bigger economy. Even if the American tax payers were left with the bill it would be cheaper than the crime and poverty that we are paying for right now. There IS a bigger picture here... They will certainly pay for it once they realize it will be cheaper to pay for the wall than suffer...

Trade tariffs, or enforcement of existing trade rules: There is no doubt that Mexico is engaging in unfair subsidy behavior that has eliminated thousands of U.S. jobs, and which we are obligated to respond to; the impact of any tariffs on the price imports will be more than offset by the economic and income gains of increased production in the United States, in addition to revenue from any tariffs themselves. Mexico needs access to our markets much more than the reverse, so we have all the leverage and will win the negotiation. By definition, if you have a large trade deficit with a nation, it means they are selling far more to you than the reverse - thus they, not you, stand to lose from enforcing trade rules through tariffs (as has been done to save many U.S. industries in the past).

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

It's ass-backwards thinking.

First you stop hiring them, THEN if that doesn't go far enough you build a wall. They'll find ways over or under a wall as long as there's hope that someone will still pay them for work.

MAybe we need to go farther. Killing tresspassers since they are "invaders" To make it all legal under the UN.

but to avoid that MAke employers stop hiring them and make them check for SS cards and drivers licenses like th e rest of u s already do. I get what you mean Mystic but at soem point you have to use the big stick.

Oh and they already penalize companies for using illegals...its just not enough to make them stop.
edit on 16000000pppm by yuppa because: added thoughts

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

We're not using ANYTHING (let alone a big stick) right now.

Why jump the shark straight to big stick when we haven't even tried something else? We might just find that hiring legal people is enough.

Or, we might just find that entire economic sectors fail because they can't turn a profit without cheap labor.

These aren't exciting, glamorous or high-paying jobs. I seriously doubt you'd enjoy picking lettuce for 12 hours a day.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
America has more leverage economically on Mexico than they have on us.

This would be true if the only two countries in existence were the US and Mexico.

Mexico has more in economic leverage based on strategic geographical location alone.

(post by F4guy removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Yeah...it is a lot deeper than just building a wall. I do think the wall would help and would create a lot of jobs during the time it is built and maintained, but isn't going to keep everyone out.

I saw several years back about a system that employers were supposed to use for every person hired. I don't remember exactly what it was, but it was talked about quite a bit back then. I haven't heard anything about that system lately. I wonder if it still exists now.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Why jump the shark straight to big stick when we haven't even tried something else? We might just find that hiring legal people is enough.

Or, we might just find that entire economic sectors fail because they can't turn a profit without cheap labor.

These aren't exciting, glamorous or high-paying jobs. I seriously doubt you'd enjoy picking lettuce for 12 hours a day.

I did mention we could try to MAKE EMPLOYERS HIRE LEGALS ONLY in my previous response. Maybe i should had lead with that first instead to had been clearer.

I also said th e"big stick" was a last resort.

As to economic sectors failing those that fail can be subsidized IF they are needed.

And yeah I HAVE picked fields before. it wasnt as bad as people think. The problem is the farmers dont pay enough for anyone to work them except for first time workers.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: xuenchen

Why should anyone in the US support another country's economy, when ours is in the pits?

One good reason is that we sell a lot more to Mexico than they sell to the US. $182 billion more to be exact. We sell more than a third of a trillion dollars of stuff to Mexico. The US Chamber of Commerce has found that 14 million US jobs depend on trade with Mexico. Those are very good reasons to not damage the Mexican economy just because you don't like brown skinned people.

You had my respect until you tossed in the race card.

Go hate somewhere else.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

a reply to: Rocker2013

Hiring Americans inside of America would make it worse? Isn't that what conservatives want?

How about instead of forcing American companies to hire legal workers with a wall -- they penalize them or throw them in jail for hiring illegal, cheap labor?

c'mon...you know in America, WE NEVER throw the wealthy businessman or corporate exec. in jail...the government just fines the corporation (separate entity) in which the wealthy make their profits.....
edit on 6-4-2016 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Ummm...

So ... you don't like hearing what folks on the left have heard for years?

other posters, imagined political positions

Hello again Gryph...just look at what you wrote there...notice the disconnect...?

I myself

And who else...?

Trying and failing to critique the word choices of others is just ... what's a word that might not offend you ... specious?

Now isn't that exactly what your practicing here...BTW Griffy old bean...you can't offend me...I'm not a prog..
Did you skip over the part where I stated I was amused...?

I have addressed the thread premise...in page 1...page3 multiple times...page 6...shall I link back to them for you...?

Shall I also link to all of your off topic comments in this thread...I did find more than a few...

I really like the word hypocritical as well...but specious hypocrite...now that has a special flavor all it's own...

The remainder of my comments were in response to posts addressed to myself with the exception of two in which I addressed other members first...

Do carry on my friend...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

So ... In short you don't or can't address the facts of the matter and you wish to scroll the screen based on your critiques of posters which for some reason you think is of interest to those of us discussing the topic?

Fair enough. Makes it simpler to ignore your posts.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Ummm...Ding Ding Ding..."winner winner chicken dinner"...

And that my friend is why so many people are voting for Mr. Trump...I think the real problem is that when I say wall...the image of the great wall of China...automatically springs to mind...There have been some really good suggestions in this thread on securing the border...perhaps what we need is a culmination of all of those suggestions...

I do NOT...however advocate strafing or mining or blowing up people...unless they shoot first...IE...cartel activity...

I also do not advocate blowing up the tunnels...I much prefer emptying them of their human occupiers and filling them with concrete...

I also stated that a wall-E bot with ground penetrating radar along with seismic sensors...could travel along the wall on the inside searching for tunneling activity...all the tech for that is off the shelf available...From that point arrest...fingerprint...and chip the abusers...it works for my dogs...it would work for repeat offenders as well...The big shiny entry doors simply have readers in them or just outside them...If you don't like chipping....then perhaps a tattoo with a non-pigmented micro circuit in the dermis layer that's activated by the scanner sensor...

There are so many ways to do this it's not impossible...You could also offset the continued maintenance cost by installing solar cell panels along the length...have them not only provide energy to whatever systems are used...but have them feed the excess back into the grid...for a fee that is...Keep a dedicated fund from that...to be used specifically and only for upkeep and maintenance cost offsetting...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
More people dislike Trump than approve of him, by 2-to-1: RCP Summary of 16 Polling Sources - Trump Favorable/Unfavorable Rating

Trump himself has used the "Great Wall" terminology; perhaps that's why people make the connection.

As to the absolute fictional ideas about robots and munitions ... there are simply no adequate words.

As to the rest of it, we have been securing the border since 1924. Here's the harshest fact: there is no reasonable way to make such a border as the one between Mexico and the US impenetrable. None. Regardless of what the "World's Greatest Fantasyland Builder " tell us.

As far as "illegal immigrants" go ... the Obama Administration has been deporting them in record numbers ... in short, the facts of the matter keep stacking up here.

edit on 6-4-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
It's interesting that we keep hearing Trump knows nothing about foreign policy, when it always seems a week or so later the politicians (who apparently do know) seem to take his lead and start asking questions

Senators follow Trumps lead.

Not the first time it has happened. Immigration, walls, trade deals, Brussels... Trump seems to set the agenda or show foresight an awful lot for an idiot who doesn't know what he is talking about.
edit on 6/4/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

They follow because people like it.

When people like something it's popular.

Politicians like popular things. It helps then get re-elected.

It doesn't matter if the thing is good, bad, right or wrong. It's all about being able to keep the people happy and keep their jobs.

A politician will endorse anything that keeps their job.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join