It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina Loses 400 Jobs as PayPal Pulls Facility over ‘Bathroom Bill’

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freija

There's a pedophile access law? Damn!

Claim you are a woman and enter.

If you have a vagina, you should not be in the men's room.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Freija

Stewart has to be still writing this stuff. Brilliant.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
The religious association with many of these people supporting the anti-LGBT (is that it? Should I add Q? O? Something else?) legislations is disturbing.

I know tons of religious people who are good people and nothing like the bozos making the news. Of course that's what plenty of Muslims say too I suppose. One small % of one group wants to enslave or kill everyone not like them. The other small % of one group merely wants to harrass, imprison and fine them. It's hard to see a big difference except the lesser-degree (or at least 'slower' means of death, considering the suicide rates of the targets) of the second group.

I do get that some groups have enough % of them inherently threatening that human survival skills will build a bias-label out of this, that is cultural (not racial, though they can overlap) prejudice. It is why guys in a suit and rolex and diamond stud don't walk down dangerous ghetto streets at night and most of us would recognize that wisdom rather than call them out for their biased expectations. And if some % of those people really do have a demonstrated history of dangerous behavior it's easy to understand. But when the targeted people do NOT have that demonstrated history of dangerous behavior, then you have to ask what is motivating the hyperbolic fear that any second now they apparently will.

Most people, as the saying goes, do not expect other people to do something they wouldn't do themselves -- with the caveat that experience (that cultural bias) is an exception here, if someone/s or someone/s like them is known for it. But if [1] transsexual or transvestite [2] persons, in a country of 300 million people over the last say 30 years, do not have much (if any) history of using their gender-identity as a road to violence, then where does that fear come from?

[1] I don't want to call them 'trans' as that was noted to be derogatory, and I normally would not call them anything but people, but I need to specifically designate them in some way here, what word should I use?

[2] Is that a proper word for cross-dressing people who may or may not feel that gender? Should I use another? Are these grouped together normally or is that inappropriate?

Both the videos were funny -- though horrible too.

I am generally against creating any new laws and especially fundamental government stuff like "protected classes" of people (e.g. women are not a minority, just to begin). (The irony of this is no real conservative would want to create a law AT ALL let alone a law that says no other local governments can vote on and make their own rules. Modern R's are such posers!)

It would be nice if we were culturally evolved to the point where nobody would LET overt bias for stupid stuff go on around them and the issue would be minimal. Alas with a culture of people who are so often operating around age 10, you do get ridiculous prejudice.

I'm in the midwest and when I go to the west coast where I'm from, the constant verbal prejudice against everything midwest, southern, accented, 'flyover', or even minimally and benevolently religious, is insane. If I recorded it all and changed the words to something else, anybody would be aghast. They're so used to their media and people around them agreeing with them, they don't even realize they're doing it. I'm from mid-southern coastal CA so I'm not personally insulted, but I'm highly aware of it given I live where I do. It's shocking and disturbing. People acting like prejudiced boneheads is not limited to wanna-be conservatives I'm sorry to say. I seriously wonder if this is worse today in our culture -- if social media while championing unicorns (sic) and how we must love everyone is simultaneously making people far more polarized. Because I don't remember anywhere near the level of vitriol and bias I've seen growing over the last ~15 years.

There have only been a few social issues that have driven me to say that I would make a personal effort to vote or join a protest or whatever to support a cause. Some are already happening on their own, like legalizing weed and gay marriage. Some are nowhere close like revising the whole handling of rape accusations and paternity testing and so on. And some seem to be in the air explosively at the moment like this sudden wave of LGBT-related legislation -- I had no idea till I started reading the last couple days, how much is going on with this, bizarre and worrisome and worthy of calling out as injust.

I think more comparisons of "fundie law" -- sharia vs. alleged-christian -- ought to be made. It ought to be made clear that we're dealing with the same personality profiles here.

RC

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: gator2001
www.washingtontimes.com...

Meanwhile, PayPal is only showing how hypocritical it is by having other headquarters in countries that have laws against homosexuals.

It is only being pc in America for the latest pc, sjw trend. Gays are being killed in some other countries, but America wants to argue about bathrooms.

I just really hate these stupid excuses for argument.

We don't have control over other countries. Its pretty damn simple.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Wait.

This idea that perverted men will just say "I feel like a woman!" and use it to enter the women's restroom is actually, when you think about it, making a law against one group of people, for crimes that haven't even happened, but are expected to possibly be perpetuated by a completely separate group of people.

It's already illegal to assault people, to molest children.

The claim is that 'children and women' are not safe if someone who 'says they feel like a woman' is in their restroom because they could be a criminal INSTEAD OF a true transsexual who just needs to pee.

So we are legislating against one group because we fear crimes that haven't happened from a totally different group? How does that make any sense at all?

Re: PayPal: yeah, a person or a company can only act where there is opportunity. PayPal cannot change the entire culture and laws of entire foreign countries, that's a ridiculous expectation, and as an international corp they have to do business internationally. But where they CAN make a change for the better -- by arranging their money where it best supports their ideals -- they apparently do. I think they deserve credit for making this so public. While it might be mercenary for their own reasons for all I know, it did get it into the limelight and given the amount of legislation going on related to the larger topic as it turns out, something needed to.

RC

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Meanwhile, PayPal is only showing how hypocritical it is by having other headquarters in countries that have laws against homosexuals.

It is only being pc in America for the latest pc, sjw trend. Gays are being killed in some other countries, but America wants to argue about bathrooms.

But said company does have that choice. That is my point. My point is said company is hypocritical in a very big way. They only did that in a current political environment that makes them look like a great company, but...

Why do you hate it? Because it is true?

I am not arguing about the bathrooms. If you want to argue, then feel free. Don't take my point as trying to deter you from that.

I will say one thing. I think this is leading to genderless bathrooms like what already happened at one University. Nobody is going to win the battle of the bathrooms except for the people that need to pee or poop.
edit on 8-4-2016 by gator2001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: RedCairo

Whoa!

Got to get a quick one in...

This is brilliant! I am absolutely absorbed by your post, your writing and ideas and find your intelligent observations and analysis compelling. Your uncertainties about language and terms and sensitive approach to them and your curiosity about learning and understanding really makes me want to write another tl;dr response.

That's what I'm going to go do now after I read your post five more times to digest it more thoroughly and find a coherent enough brain cell to put together something of worthy reply.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   

But said company does have that choice.

No, they don't have a choice in disrespecting other countries.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   

But said company does have that choice.

No, they don't have a choice in disrespecting other countries.

Wait...what? PayPal would be disrespecting another country if it pulled their headquarters out of that country due to a law that is harmful to gays? By that logic, they disrespected North Carolina because that's what they did.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   

No, we don't, but doesn't paypal have control over where they have headquarters?

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Obviously when one bathroom is closed "normal people" use the other bathroom. Men have been in women's restroom just legitimatly. Women have been in the mens.

Almost every man knows the women's bathroom smells nice and is clean, that's not assumption, it's because of testimony.

I myself have been in both bathrooms many times, and it's not because I'm transgender alone, it's because I'm also a normal person that had a job at Dairy Queen at one point, and part of that job was to clean the bathroom.

This concept will eat itself because it interferes with "normal people" more than trans, or more than trans are interfering. And like hell will I ever let a "normal person" break the rules without calling the police if this is universally mandatory - for any reason. Ever.

Appearance is the only perpetrator in this case, and case closed that as a basis is discriminatory. I can already imagine hilarious implications as Cis females and males are called out as transgender.

Anyway "show me your papers" bills won't ever pan out for this reason alone.
edit on 8-4-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Basically what I have learned over 18 pages amounts to:

- companies should not be allowed to espouse morality
- liberty and decency should be given up for safety
- pedophiles are stopped by strict gender signs

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: SargonThrall

1. Unless it's Religious like Chic'fil'a
2. Safetys hotbutton, because the terrorism is working.
3. Yup.

Btw mormons are the nicest of the nuts, and chic'fil'a is delicious.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: imjack

Chick-fil-a is good and I like their cow commercials, too.

I wonder if they have a position on bathrooms.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
These southerners never learn do they?

Were in a new world and old time religious based “morality” is passé.

They are the Taliban of America.

I hope the religious people in America don’t start going crazy

Accept change with grace

You don’t have to practice what they do just respect it

Listen, how far do we have to go to placate 1% of America.. They are the true Taliban . This one is so absurd it boggles the mind. A man dressed in mans clothes is now allowed to follow a 6 year old into the rest room, rape and then murder her all in the name of diversity.

The LGBTQ-WXYZ will say the end justifies the means and will just move on to the next absurd demand.. What will that next demand be?
edit on 8-4-2016 by RepealTheLaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: gator2001

They're probably more against it than others on their LGBT stance alone...that's why I mentioned it.

They're also not the problem in the country, so it's worth mentioning they're nice even though they're ignorant.

It's one of the few instances I've seen an establishment be against something without being a critical and total douche tbh. They still service LGBT, and they got a severe ass whipping over it(too much). Infact, states told them they wouldn't allow stores based on their prop votes...that seems wrong to me. On the flip side, they didn't lose any business where they were open I guess, so the LGBT boycott afterwords was not only unnecessary, it was ineffective. I in no way support their business enough to be anything but an outlier but I don't really think denying myself chicken is winning when it's the law they must serve me. Also I personally encountered discrimination 0 times.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: RepealTheLaw

Listen, how far do we have to go to placate 1% of America.. They are the true Taliban . This one is so absurd it boggles the mind. A man dressed in mans clothes is now allowed to follow a 6 year old into the rest room, rape and then murder her all in the name of diversity.

The LGBTQ-WXYZ will say the end justifies the means and will just move on to the next absurd demand.. What will that next demand be?

Do you mean to say a man dressed in woman's clothes? Here is what is so absurd: that you actually believe that a man dressed in woman's clothes is allowed to follow a 6 year old into the restroom to rape and murder her. Rape and murder is against the law! It always has been and it always will be.

Bad people exist. Bad people always find ways to do bad things. Just like bad people with guns. Should we ban guns to stop the bad people? We know that bad people will always find a way, so banning guns only hurts the good people who want to own guns. Same with bad men who want to rape 6 year olds. Even if you have this bill pass, bad men will still find ways to sneak into a restroom if they want to. We have to be careful and never allow our 6 year olds to go into public restrooms alone. THAT is how you solve the problem - not refusing the access of legitimate transgender people who won't hurt anyone.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: RepealTheLaw

1. The laws about rape and murder aren't changing any time soon.

2. The difference is the majority of LGBT hate the system that made the south this way, not the south.

The terrorists win again, is all it means, if you believe anything you just said. You're afraid of Mexicans taking your taxes, you think our government is Muslim and boys in dresses will rape anything that moves.

Let me say that again:

Afraid.

I'll give you any day of the week that the Left is full of whiners, but the Right being p#####s isn't something I'm used to though. It's really sad when you're just "the other left", and this is a brand new phenomenon. Normally you guys love creating liberties, changing the system, and no Old Schooler would ever want a law like this that is based on actually limiting freedom, when there are actual reasons you might one day use the women's bathroom because the men's is out of order, and a $2,500 fee will cross your mind.

You understand that's what it boils down to? Fee, or open bathrooms. There is no middle.

As a last bit of basic science most being labeled Trans take Estrogen replacements. The top 3 side effects are: softer skin, easier to cry, and lower sex drive. Most trans also report they dislike sex due to the whole having the wrong brain thing. They see it as being lesbian and gay.

For you to act all "tough and cool" Is one thing, for you to tell me you're afraid of a boy in a dress, with a female brain, with no sex drive, that crys more often, raping and murdering your daughter you're apparently unable to watch responsibly is some bulls###.

Stand watch at the door bro, I don't care, but to continue to act like you have no ability to do anything about it is pathetic. The law itself suggests this means you can go in too, but I'm sure you understand why you won't.

Ps. F### THE TALIBAN. Get a hobby that isn't Fox News. You're not allowed to have an opinion until you can claim you can protect a little girl adequately, none the less national defense. I'm TSG, I've worked with the CIA/DoD/NSA and I protect your dumbass everyday.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: gator2001

I agree with that. If you want even a clue to how pc "unfriendly" this is though consider:

As a transgender, I'm uncomfortable with the idea of transvestites that are not transgender being in the women's room. That being said, this whole arguement is over me being indistinguishable from that. Ironic?

Open bathrooms is peanuts compared to the way trans want to be viewed- as women or men.

They're settling at best with all the shoebox arguements about the grey lines. They want to be in the lines.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Sargeras

Peep? In a public bathroom? There are stalls. Many place have family type restrooms now.
It was always an issue when I was out with my boys when they were young. I didn't like sending them into a strange mens room alone. They didn't want to use the women's room. A non gender facility would have been great but they didn't exist back then.
NC is so backwards in so many ways. My sister lives there. Nothing new is ever built nothing ever changes. They still have gas pumps that don't swipe cards. This old fashioned view is no surprise. They would still close stores on Sundays if owners didn't complain.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join