It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recommended reading about Egyptian Mystery schools??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Hey all!

Over the years I've read up quite a bit about Gnosticism and some of the early Christian sects.
Yet, I've had trouble finding a lot of information about the Egyptian mystery schools that were around during the time of Jesus.

I feel strongly that Jesus must've attended one of these schools. Many scholars believe this, but more importantly it makes a lot of sense when you look at the metaphysics behind Jesus' teachings and how they contrast from the Jewish teachings ( and law ) at the time.

So. Does anyone have any recommended reading on this topic? It may be broad, as I'd imagine different mystery school were teaching different things. But some good leads would be nice.

Thank you!

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

I think your best bet would be to talk to Byrd... send him a PM

Heres a link for ya...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

I think your best bet would be to talk to Byrd... send him a PM

Heres a link for ya...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Byrd is a she, and that's a good idea Akragon.

Jesus was a Buddhist, OP.

edit on 4/4/2016 by Klassified because: add video

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

lol whups...

learn something new every day i guess... And yeah...

Im pretty sure Jesus traveled to india and studied with monks

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

a reply to: Klassified

lol whups...

learn something new every day i guess... And yeah...

Im pretty sure Jesus traveled to india and studied with monks

Or He could have been, you know, God, and already just knew all that stuff anyway.

edit on 4/4/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Nah...

He had to learn just like anyone else... he went to the temple when he was twelve, and it says he was with the doctors of the law asking questions

His answers astonished those present... but he wouldn't have to ask questions if he already knew the answers

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Nah...

He had to learn just like anyone else... he went to the temple when he was twelve, and it says he was with the doctors of the law asking questions

His answers astonished those present... but he wouldn't have to ask questions if he already knew the answers

It looks to me as if the doctors of the law were the ones asking questions if 12 year old Jesus was supplying the answers.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Nah...

It looks to me as if the doctors of the law were the ones asking questions if 12 year old Jesus was supplying the answers.

Well...

46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Nah...

Well...

46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.

Furthermore...

47 Everyone who heard him was amazed by his understanding and his answers.

(Have you heard of a hypothetical question? It is where someone poses a question to which they already know the answer. It is also sometimes called a 'leading question'. They usually do this to expand the understanding of those being questioned.)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Fair enough... Lets skip to the end of the chapter...

And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

IF he was already all knowing... why would he "increase" in wisdom?

Clearly he had some learning to do... not to mention if one takes into account a verse in Hebrews where it says he learned obedience through the things he suffered

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed
Hey all!

Over the years I've read up quite a bit about Gnosticism and some of the early Christian sects.
Yet, I've had trouble finding a lot of information about the Egyptian mystery schools that were around during the time of Jesus.

I feel strongly that Jesus must've attended one of these schools. Many scholars believe this, but more importantly it makes a lot of sense when you look at the metaphysics behind Jesus' teachings and how they contrast from the Jewish teachings ( and law ) at the time.

So. Does anyone have any recommended reading on this topic? It may be broad, as I'd imagine different mystery school were teaching different things. But some good leads would be nice.

Thank you!

The scriptures have no record of Yahoshua attending a "mystery" school nor does his character allude to it..he Jewish leaders knew he didn't study with them as is falsely believed.

"And the Jews marveled, saying, How knows this man letters, having never learned? Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.He that speaks of himself seeks his own glory: but he that seeks his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keeps the law? Why go you about to kill me?

Yahoshua ALWAYS says everything he does and knows is from the father not the religious doctrines of man.It is poor speculation to believe Yahoshua studied anything to know the father.He clearly stated to the Jewish leaders the futility of studying to know the creator God

"You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is these that bear witness of Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me, that you may have life. “I do not receive glory from men; but I know you, that you do not have the love of God in yourselves. I have come in My Father’s name,[Yahoshua] and you do not receive Me; if another shall come in his own name[the Jesus of Christianity], you will receive him".

Yahoshua knew exactly what "studying" scriptures written in a book to know the creator God does...it creates ignorance and lack of love.
edit on 4-4-2016 by Rex282 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-4-2016 by Rex282 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Fair enough... Lets skip to the end of the chapter...

And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

IF he was already all knowing... why would he "increase" in wisdom?

Clearly he had some learning to do... not to mention if one takes into account a verse in Hebrews where it says he learned obedience through the things he suffered

I will admit that I am mystified by the 'totally God and totally human bit'. My guess is that He was co-habited by the Spirit and mind of God as well as His human spirit and mind. This would be in agreement with the verse that describes Jesus as the firstborn of many brothers (in that He is human but indwelled by the Holy Spirit).

But I've still got to admit, I don't fully understand it.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Even the verses that Rex quoted merely shows the arrogance of the jews...

How could this man know these things having never learned... but he clearly did learn what he needed to

He did know The Father personally, i can't deny that... but these books were not written by God, but by man...

He had to have learned from his time spent in the temple... he most likely spent a lot of time in the temple learning scripture

edit on 4-4-2016 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   

It is broad, for sure. While I don't know much about Egyptian mystery schools, we just started getting to know a guy who's an OTO member (Thelemite). We're going on a date this Saturday if you want to send me with more specific questions. I'll try to work them into the conversation.

I know they aren't as ancient as you are looking for but they are scholars in the subject and would know better than me.
edit on 5-4-2016 by Abysha because: Clarity

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

The Gnostics and their remains.

The Egyptian book of the dead is what you really want to read. The mystery religions used ancient Egyptian writings.

Go to sacredtexts.com. they have the books people use to write books on the Egyptian mystery religions.

Book of Am Tuat
Book of Gates
Egyptian heaven and hell

Corpus Hermeticum
Wisdom of the Egyptians

edit on 5-4-2016 by Steinbergmanstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   

AncientEgyptiansacredtexts

Here is a link with many sacred ancient Egyptian texts that will keep you busy for a year or more!!

Good luck, they require a lot of previous research before you can actually decipher and comprehend.

I still can't.

edit on 5-4-2016 by Steinbergmanstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed
Recommended reading about Egyptian Mystery schools??

If you, or anyone, happens to find, somewhere in your Egyptian readings what a 'was/waz' is; the staff with the fork on the bottom and the jackal's head on top, carried by everyone from the Gods to the Pharaohs to the imperial janitorial engineer, I'd Love to know.
There are a couple of theories, but they sound a bit... forced.
It seems to me like some sort of 'magical implement', but it's origin and use is still unknown.
I even talked to Zahi Hawass, and he didn't know either.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

OTO Thelemites do ceremonies with a person dressed as Annubis on t.v., but are a sex magick cult of deviant ancient Indian sacred rituals. They don't know jack about Egyptian mystery religions.

You would have a better time buying the ancient books like book of the dead and the many more instead of learning from Crowley buggers.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Oh, and the monotheistic God of Egypt in the time of Christ was Serapis. That is where you get the reptilian class of angels Seraphim.

Most Egyptians, including Christian bishops, worshipped Serapis while in Egypt, and even considered the worshippers of Serapis fellow Christians.

You find the mystery of Serapis and you are a genius, I have only found scraps. But he WAS God in Christ age Egypt, especially Alexandria.

Egypt was a Greek and Jew and Egyptian haven in Alexandria, the learning capital of that world for a long time. They all revered Serapis.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   

hey,

I personally think that Jesus learned from the Essenes. They have a few awesome gospels and are a great spiritual source of wisdom. In their gospels Jesus is often mentioned or narrated about his teachings to other people or students.

Then you could also look into esoteric Gnosticism and esoteric Buddhism (tantric buddhism). Which are all also probable alternatives where he could learn from in my opinion.

All these three versions or other versions of esoteric knowledge are similar in some ways and are different in others. Try to learn about all of them and see what connections they have and where do they differ. Than decide what and how to practice, it can be practice made from many different "schools", what is important is that it "suits" you.

When you study about the truth, don't try to limit yourself to just one path, but try to be open about it and look "the other way" or look at every TRUE spiritual text and scripture (forget the bible! -> Sorry to all who love it, but it is book for "kids" - a few very basics lessons for spiritual life) and search for valid esoteric knowledge which is everywhere, in all religions. But "hidden" or at least not popular by mainstream due to a lot more effort needed to truly learn and practice. But truth is there and if you search long enough you shall find it.

And you shall find that they are all saying very similar stuff in a lot of ways. The truth is only one, but paths to "it" are infinite, in my opinion, like many rivers flows into one ocean kind of thing.

Also I like it that you seem to realize, that Jesus was not God or special in such a way. He was just like you and me - naive and probably a bit dumb but very good natured kid, nothing special...well but he was very gifted in spirituality in my opinion. If he were or stayed in india and tell his message there, he would be considered "normal" due to such different society where true yogis and miracles (siddhis for them) are not "special" or magic. But he chose(?) to come to "us" and showed our society that there is MUCH more to physical world and he was crucified and made into martyr...well maybe?

in any case, good luck and best wishes, the truth is out there and easily available like never before due to internet in my opinion.

: )
edit on 1459844387419April194193016 by UniFinity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join