It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Need Advice About One Of My Cats

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I have been having a serious problem with my boy kitty.For over a year he has been caught
peeing on my walls. Last fall,while I was on vacation,my husband took him to the vet about
this problem.The vet's office ran some tests that confirmed that my boy has chronic kidney
disease.
I bleach down the walls and that has helped some.I still caught him ,twice in the past 5 days,
peeing on my walls.My husband and I are going to be working on the house soon.We are wanting
to put it up for sale.We may not have any choice but to have him put to sleep.I don't want
to do that,my boy looks like the cat in my avatar.
If someone has had the same problem I would appreciate any advice.I am running out of time
because we have to have a solution soon.The vet has already told us he would put him to
sleep and the pet cemetery gave me an estimate on cremation.I don't want to kill my kitty!

I forgot to mention that he will turn 14 this summer.
edit on 4-4-2016 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth
The only thing helpful that I can give you is that pine oil helps to get rid of cat urine odor (that, and scatter baking soda through the whole house).
I am the wrong guy to ask if you want advice on how to keep your cat alive, sorry about that.

Oh, and good luck, I wish you the best.

edit on b000000302016-04-04T15:18:54-05:0003America/ChicagoMon, 04 Apr 2016 15:18:54 -0500300000016 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
So sorry to hear. Have you tried feliway diffuser spray? His urination is due to stress, this can help curb that as hey may not urinate in a marked spot. Try bringing him to the bathroom/location of litter boxes often to see if that helps him to not focus on walls.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
put him in a cat carrier - drive him into a heavily forrested area, and let his instincts take over.
i had to get rid of 2 cats recently - nobody wants an old cat, and they are killed if taken to shelter. at least u will know hes prolly having a blast

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Had to put our "big 'un" down on last hallows eve due to his kidneys totally failing
still miss him, sometimes cats can recover but it depends on the age of the cat

Spraying is more normally a territorial thing to say that they're there, it might be that due to not being well they've retreated indoors and are now treating your house as the ends of their territory and as such are marking it as so, the constant removal of the scent markings may cause worry as the cats feeling unwell and with the constant removal of his scent he's feeling his patch is being eroded.

Theres things like feliway which can help a cat feel calmer in their environment, also look to see if the cat likes to perch and if so make it somewhere raised off the ground so it can watch the world knowing it won't be disturbed which might also help reduce the spraying.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: nobunaga

I would have him put to sleep before I would consider dumping him out in the woods.
He has been an indoor kitty since he was 6 weeks old.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Next time that I go to the pet store I will look for this stuff.
I just hope it doesn't have a strong odor because I have asthma
that is triggered by an allergy to scents.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Do you have an outdoor kitty visiting around lately?

Spraying is usually territorial stress, and if he senses/smells another cat, even if it's outside, it could be provoking that anxiety.

You can try the feliway. It will help calm his anxiety. But I'd see if there is another cat roaming that might have helped trigger his spraying.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

You really cannot smell feliway as its designed to make cats feel more at home, its a smell only cats can smell but if you have an allergy then perhaps but it normally comes in a plug in diffuser like a lot of normally things for us humans and i'm sure you'll be able to know if it sets you off quickly.

If a cats spraying more and more generally it will be trying to protect its patch more and more so its feeling weak but it needs to tell any other cats around that its as strong as a lion for example.

But if its eating and maintaining normal weight and not drinking copious water and thus filling the gritty kitty tray with water every day i'd relax a bit and just wipe off the visible stains with just water and a rag so a lot of the scent remains to keep the poor darling happy as he'll do less spraying if he feels happy.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Do you have more than one cat? If so, how long have they been together?

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: nobunaga
put him in a cat carrier - drive him into a heavily forrested area, and let his instincts take over.
i had to get rid of 2 cats recently - nobody wants an old cat, and they are killed if taken to shelter. at least u will know hes prolly having a blast

Yeah a real blast. Bitten by fleas, mosquitos, ticks, chiggers and any other blood seeking critter. No food, house cats are not very good providers of vermin. No clean water and he has a kidney problem. No shelter from bad weather and until now he's lived inside. I'm assuming he's an indoor cat otherwise he'd spray outside.
Possibly becoming prey to a larger animal. Good times yeah.

link   

Feliway is a great idea, as several have stated. And a high perch.

You could try 2-3 litter boxes and try a softer litter like 'yesterdays news'.

You may have to leave 1 wall spot. Every time you clean one or cover it with cleaner or another scent, the cat will want to mark another spot. You can spray a citrus cleaner on all but 1 spot. Scrub and paint over the last one when it comes time to show your home. I would only consider putting a cat down if they are in pain.

The cat is trying to say something. It can be difficult to figure out exactly what. Try Jackson Galaxy's videos on youtube. Here's one that helps figure out why.

link   

originally posted by: nobunaga

I hate Cats...

WTF, you dumped a house cat into the Forest ?

You would go to jail if they caught you doing that

Please don't treat any animal that cruel.

You can't pretend you know what the Cat was thinking.

They will slowly starve to death in the Forest.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I use a spray bottle filled with water, set nozzle to stream and give kitty a spray when caught in the act, keep,litter tray handy, Good to keep pets off of kitchen bench, I just let my cat see the bottle now and her ears go down. Good luck.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

He drinks a LOT of water everyday.One day,while sifting his litter pan,
he hardly had any pee clumps in it. While I was watching him he started
doing that little wiggle and peed on the wall.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Do not kill the poor cat.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

I have three cats.My eldest cat will be 15 this fall,my boy will be 14 this summer
and my youngest cat is 11.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Have there been any major changes in your house lately -- from your cat's perspective? Is your cat neutered? Sometimes male cats spray as a stress reaction, and sometimes it is a territorial thing. does he usually spray in the same place? Habitual grooming of his pink parts?

Our female cat took to urinating on the floor, often next to the walls. She actually sprays and I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself several times. Vet did tests and didn't find anything, except a possibility of developing cystitis. To encourage her to drink more water, we put water bowls in different rooms and always kept them fresh. We added water to her wet food, and that seemed to decrease the urinating outside the litter box.

We did two things that must have made a difference, just not sure which one. We changed her topical flea treatment from Frontline to Revolution. The other thing was we changed her unscented, clumping litter to a different brand of unscented, clumping litter. Our floor and walls have been cat pee free for about a month.

I hope this helps. I'm no vet, just a cat lover. I'll check back.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

The citrus sounds really good.His favorite place to pee is in the breakfast
room part of my kitchen.When I was trying to track down a strange odor
in my kitchen that's what I found.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Cats never drink enough and are prone to kidney issues. I lost one boy at 4.

Your boy is no kitten for sure but that only makes it harder. He's been a part of your family for a long time. Sending him away would be traumatic at his age.
Can you confine him? Cover the walls and floor?
Also KILZ on the wall may help. It's waterproof and covers odors.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join