It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why white people need to stop saying 'namaste'

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: Spookytraction

Appropriate whatever culture you want, just don't try to seem deep/spiritual/worldly by using a word you probably don't understand.

Douchey works. As long as you're a white male that wears Chubbies.

The way it looks to me is that "douchey" is being used in this context as a weak tea substitute for the more apt (and apparently more inflammatory) term "cultural appropriation".

Potato, potahto; nahmahsdeh, namasty.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

I agree with you on Karma. The amount of times I see people write something, like "Karma, will get them."" or some other nonsense. You can press them a little further and some claim to not believe in God.. I even heard some lady refer to Karma as a God.....

Spiritual practices have been dumbed down too as this has slowly eroded within most cultures, the teachings confused and distorted too. Is it erosion of culture or is it evolution?

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Can she wear Levis with the proper western flare?

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

So does that mean when a non-Japanese speaking says "Konnichiwa" or "Ohayo" it's inappropriate?

I started learning Hindi a few months back and really enjoy it - our teacher said saying, "Namaste" was a normal greeting. As a white guy, am I being racist for speaking another language??

I dont see what the problem is... but them, I'm a non-pc "See you next Tuesday" sort of guy.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
This is unprogressive intolerance. Everyone sounds funny the first time they are learning a new language. It's no different with white people using the few words they know in Sanskrit. Give them a couple years in India they will sound more Indian than you.

The same could be said about white washed people. I know of people being more whitewashed than white people and they skin colour didn't change. These kind of articles make me less fond of mankind. How will we tolerate advanced races if we can't even tolerate each other. That is no doubt a step we must overcome together if we are ever to ascend our primitive form of civilization.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
In lieu of 'douchey' we could use 'pretentious', maybe. Although I don't think it's as precise.

I'm on a mission to have the word 'douchey' pronounced as doo-SHAY.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright
In lieu of 'douchey' we could use 'pretentious', maybe. Although I don't think it's as precise.

Deaux-Sheigh
edit on 4-4-2016 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

I can go with pretentious. I still think this is a special kind of pretentious, and that it should be called dew shay.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Why do people get so bent out of shape about how other people feel online? Isn't it doing the same thing you're griping about in a way? Sometimes I think the internet is making humans insane.
edit on 4-4-2016 by Floydshayvious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Floydshayvious

it is.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Yeahright,

Its always confused me, I use Arserinser......... Its a made up word, but most get the idea, irrespective of cultural differences

edit on 4 4 16 by auraofblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Floydshayvious
Why do people get so bent out of shape about how other people feel online? Isn't it doing the same thing you're griping about in a way? Sometimes I think the internet is making humans insane.

Humans were always insane. It's just that prior to the internet, we used to lock the crazy people in an attic for great ghost stories.

Now?

Loony Uncle Larry gets to orate and pontificate daily. And the view from the attic is quite lovely. . . . .

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
In my defense, I was crazy before ARPANET deployment.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Namaste means 'I bow to you'

How dare a white person figuratively bow to another person out of respect? Talk about micro-aggression.

#I'mOffended

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Why?
/

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
For the love of god, stop using an article to Generalize an entire race of people. Some person had a personal opinion thats it, that does not mean the rest of us believe that crap. The problem here is people giving undue importance to nonsensical opinions. She achieved exactly what she was out to do, thanks to ATS..
edit on 4-4-2016 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Done and done. Although isn't using the French pronunciation a little... pretentious?

I maintain that we have to examine the reason why a hipster wearing a keffiyeh, or an urban yuppie wearing cowboy boots, or a suburban kid flashing gang signs is douchey or pretentious or however you want to dilute it.

That reason is because they are appropriating the trappings of another culture in ignorance and superficiality.

In other words, it's douchey because it's cultural appropriation. No one's saying they can't do it, thanks be we live in a free society. But just because one can do it doesn't make it any less an act of pretentious douchery. Anyone who cares to is equally free to call them out as callow douchenozzles of the first water.

Ain't freedom wondrous?

edit on 4-4-2016 by Spookytraction because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spookytraction
Done and done. Although isn't using the French pronunciation a little... pretentious?

Yep it's a fire-with-fire deal.

I encourage 'tres doo-Shay' as the full-on high pressure nozzle expression.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spookytraction

Yep it's a fire-with-fire deal.

I encourage 'tres doo-Shay' as the full-on high pressure nozzle expression.

I just scared all the squirrels off with my peals of raucous glee. Thanks for that.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Wow, its interesting how many members in ATS quiet conveniently fell into the trap.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join