It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why white people need to stop saying 'namaste'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: new_here
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Hmm. I don't go around saying 'namaste' but if I wanted to, I don't need anyone's permission/approval to do so.

Na-mas-te... a collection of audible syllables created by certain mouth positions combined with vibrations of the vocal chords. Does anybody really think they have an entitlement over anybody else, to make that grouping of sounds ???

I couldn't agree more, ... also what next? Where is the limit?

I am part Italian. How dare a non-Italianos a eat de pasta, capiche?

Pfft, please!
People are either way too sensitive or have way too much time nowadays. A lot of kids nowadays are so easily offended, it's ridiculous. I blame helicopter-parenting, and this new everyone-is-a-winner mentality.
Back in my day, if you lost, you lost. Better luck next time.
edit on 4-4-2016 by Harut because: added a thought

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Spookytraction

"So? Why does population size matter? Isn't cultural appropriation still cultural appropriation?" "Maybe, but I think there's a gradient, and I think it's n= the number of people you're going to piss off by cherrypicking and warping parts of their religion so that your clients can get that warm-fuzzy mystic vibe."

So its all about appeasement based on the larger the practitioner group the more respect you give and the more offence that may be taken; you see no harm in....

"How many people would you estimate are practicing Asatru in Norway?" "Mmmm, maybe like .1% of the population?" "Right, as opposed to

Nice to see your ethical values are based on a sliding scale.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Spookytraction

Well, other than illustrating how petty the argument is...choosing boots could easily be substituted with choosing crosses.

But the point is still there: its just silly. And as a rationalist, I am not capable of seeing religion as being a sacred cow that must be treated with reverence beyond all other topics.

Yes, her religion may matter to her. To HER. Not me. It is wholly selfish to project your own personal viewpoints on the rest of the world. Especially when the intention is not to mock, but rather to participate.

Sure, there are curmudgeons in all cultures. And some of them have blogs. In my case, i am a complete curmudgeon. You should see how offended I am when eating "mexican" food anywhere north of Lubbock.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

For an indian woman to complain about how indian is done in America, when its obvious that Americans are more than open to learning about her culture....she has an opportunity to teach here.

I agree with your post....but...she is an Indian in Australia -
Its not always about America...read the link...or my posts

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

I read the link, and even saw "australia". But having a huge American ego, it just didn't register.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: meiosismb
what's next ? white people should stop being white ?

What's next?

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: PLAYERONE01
SJW's and PC culture and this really really far right feminism among others were the result.

~Tenth

I agree with everything but this. 3rd wave feminism is pretty blatantly far left wing.
edit on 4-4-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harut

Pfft, please!
People are either way too sensitive or have way too much time nowadays. A lot of kids nowadays are so easily offended, it's ridiculous. I blame helicopter-parenting, and this new everyone-is-a-winner mentality.
Back in my day, if you lost, you lost. Better luck next time.

No, those kids have always been there.

While i was fairly well liked in school, a lot of the chicks hated me. Mostly because they were social justice warriors in grooming, and couldn't stand some of the things I say (17 year old BFFT was an unfiltered mess).

The difference now? They have a platform. Back then we'd just make fun of them until they shut up again. Now, they have communities where they find validation and support.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

but for now that's how it'll remain. Call it "sins of the father", or whatever. And whether fair or not...its just the way things work, on scales and cycles that are bigger and grander than all of us. Its hard to fight against a swinging pendulum....so you just jump on and ride it

I get that whites are excluded from EOCC protection - would you however allow such a crybaby lawyer defend you, with her thinly veiled contempt of the culture she is living in? I wouldn't trust her is she thinks all Australians are still colonists and cultural thieves.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

But having a huge American ego, it just didn't register.

Well at least you're honest

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Qwerm
a reply to: Dark Ghost From my perspective there is no greater difference in the human race than male and female....but we seem to get on ok.

There is only one race/one earth/one God.

not any more.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

In our house, we prefer "weirdmaste" which means "the weirdness in me honors the weirdness in you". It fits us far better, especially when we do a lot of our Yoga from this awesome instructor who transforms movie plots into Yoga sessions (like Harry Potter).

Anyway, cultural appropriation is real but we need to really know where the line is. "Namaste" is a part of a practice. This would be like insisting that white Muslims not call the Abrahamic god "Allah".

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
It fits us far better, especially when we do a lot of our Yoga from this awesome instructor who transforms movie plots into Yoga sessions (like Harry Potter).

Call me when he does the Sharknado series. I would pay to watch that.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Strange, but I see where she is coming from.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Nobody likes to feel that they’re being labelled a racist, and if the r-word is so much as hinted at, they shut down. The possibility that they’ll listen to the person they think is slapping the label on them dwindles to zilch. If the goal is understanding rather than self-protection, it pays off to accept people on their own terms, and to take them at their word when they tell you about their experiences and feelings.

The girl isn't telling people they can't say namaste during a yoga class. She's just telling them how she feels about it, and why.

/shrug

I’ve enjoyed engaging with you. You’ve got a colorful writing style, and you seem to operate out of your executive functions rather than your amygdala, which makes you a joy to converse with. So, I hope you won’t get sore when I roll something your way.

I think the jocular contempt you clearly feel toward the urban cowboy is on the same affective spectrum as the disgust expressed by the girl in the OP, and I think it comes from the same place: seeing a cardinal symbol of your native culture removed from its context and trivialized. I think your contempt springs from offense. In that sense, you and the girl might have a lot more in common than you realize. However, as a wise frog once said:

edit on 4-4-2016 by Spookytraction because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I am getting so sick and tired of everyone playing the race card along
with the blame card.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
I am getting so sick and tired of everyone playing the race card along
with the blame card.

Ignore them. They eventually shut up.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

White guilt? I was unaware Asians, African Americans, or any other persons other than caucasians are incapable of feeling guilt.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

I lost the reminence of my miniscule American ego after the 2008 election.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Abysha
It fits us far better, especially when we do a lot of our Yoga from this awesome instructor who transforms movie plots into Yoga sessions (like Harry Potter).

Call me when he does the Sharknado series. I would pay to watch that.

A yoga position called "The Hoff" brings tears to my eyes.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I was also looking forward to 'devoured Benji'.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join