It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestions for hair/skin care?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Hi, all. My sweet heart has a problem and I promised her that I'd as around and see if I could help her.

Her hair is thinner than she would like and also is brittle so it breaks off and she can't grow it long. Is there a shampoo or other hair care product she could use to fix this?

Now for the skin care part: She's originally from the Eastern Highlands of Papua New Guinea; which is considerably cooler than where she is now, which is the coastal area. Ever since she's moved there the skin on the sides of her nose has turned brown dry and then flaked off, leaving pink skin where it was. She's tried creams for it but she has sensitive skin and it burns. Is there anything she could use that would stop her skin from doing that?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Add avocados to her diet. Done deal.

Please don't hesitate to ask for recipes.

edit on 2-4-2016 by Bybyots because:

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots
Thanks! I'll tell her that. Does it have something to do with certain vitamins?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

It's the fats.

25 BENEFITS AND USES OF AVOCADO FOR SKIN, HAIR, HEALTH AND BEAUTY

Although I should add that vitamins are fat soluble, so imagine the ramifications of having lots of the right fats enriching your cell's power to absorb vitamins.

P.S. Also: Is she homesick?

P.S.S. She is coastal: How much fish does she eat? That's another source of skin and hair enriching fats.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Thanks for the link. I'll pass it on to her. Yes she is homesick. The coastal area is a lot different than the highlands.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Yes she is homesick. The coastal area is a lot different than the highlands.

What's her spiritual orientation? I may be able to help here.

P.S. Only suggesting daily "meditation" of some sort here to cool the anterior cingulate gyrus of the brain.

edit on 2-4-2016 by Bybyots because: ?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
She's Christian.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Me, too. That's why I thought I could help.

I would recommend the The Prayer of The Heart, aka The Jesus Prayer.

I would use an Eastern Orthodox prayer rope, or rosary, because it has 100-or-so knots and so you can repeat the prayer for every knot and not worry about time and get it done in 10-20 minutes.

Twice a day, with the fats and the regular presence of you should cut it.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Vitamin D I think.. I saw a show that was talking about a circus act where people literally hang from their hair and they had to be on a strict diet of eating avocado and eggs for hair strength or something..

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
For skin care I fell in love with the oil cleansing method, but it caused some issues. I then tried a face wash by Burt's Bees, it is their Orange Essence Facial Cleanser. After using the oil method, I couldn't adjust to anything else, it was too drying. This stuff is the best thing I have found! Smells great, my skin feels great, clean and not dry or tight, and it is 100% natural.

For hair, my sister in law turned me onto Dove Quench for curly hair for my daughter. It makes a huge difference in the softness and pliability of her hair. Not a cure for the root cause of dryness, but it certainly helps.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots

Add avocados to her diet. Done deal.

Please don't hesitate to ask for recipes.

I was just talking to friend about Avocados and the benefits of good fats. I often supplement with vitamin e with mixed tocophenols and vitamin c just for my dry skin. I also take fish oil supplements with EPA and DHA for my brain and skin.
Sensitive skin with dry skin a tricky problem and you want simple ingredients with no parables, as parabens are ultimately drying... this when it comes to creams and serums.
I think there are some Cetaphil products that don't have parabens.
For the bare basics in skin care, a good carrier oil with the proper dilution of German chamomile essential oil. I think two percent of German chamomile to the rest carrier oil, like Argon oil,
Here is link to dilutions chart, this site will also tell you the right and safe percentages to use throughout their site,
www.naturesgift.com...

For brittle hair and more shedding than is good, I'm putting together this very day a mixture of organic olive oil, shea nut oil, white camillia oil and macadamia nut oil. I'm going to use mostly the olive oil and mix in smaller amounts of the others. The first oils for hair I mentioned are carrier oils and I'm going to add essential oils to stimulate growth and deal with dry itchy scalp. In the proper dilutions the essential oils I will use are, sweet basil, rosemary verbenon, bay laurel, tea tree and palmarosa with a little vetiver.
I have gone through the site I posted above and read about theses oils over and over, if you or your GF are interested please do your research about proper dilutions and what would work best for her.
The site below tons of info and also a place to purchase, here is the front page of their site,
www.naturesgift.com...
Hope you and GF find good solutions! I battle dry skin too and if I think of anything else will try to help.

edit on 2-4-2016 by peppycat because: parabens not parables!

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Going from Highlands to lowlands would be difficult for her body to acclimate to. How long has she been in the lowlands i.e. the coast? A backlash on her condition would be normal.

What was her main diet in the Highlands? How much has it changed? If a change then that is another adjustment for her body.

And mostly a physical at the local clinic is a good idea as it could be a thyroid, or adrenal or one of many conditions starting.

And if none of the above apply here's a vitamin basic that is pretty much repeated all over the place. Disclaimer: Is not a medical source, but overall I'd agree with much of what they say.

How Your Hair Can Reveal Your Health

STM

edit on 2-4-2016 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

Yeah, you got it: Fats are the "way" to good health. It's about "fat-modulation" strategy.

I'm surprised that the whole "Bullet-proof-coffee" thing didn't take-off more strongly.

Conspiracy?

P.S. you have deep herb-knowledge. I'm deeply impressed.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I was trying to edit my post that auto corrected parabens into parables and I'm all confused.
Some info on parabens, apparently a controversial subject that many tend to disagree about, I can't find the source for them being drying, but here is some info,
www.livestrong.com...
edit on 2-4-2016 by peppycat because: uggh..

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots I had to look up "bullet proof coffee'' never heard of it! Here is link for anyone wondering what it is,
www.huffingtonpost.com...
I might have to try this! Thanks Bybyots!

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Get an aloe vera leaf /stem. Looks like agave. Cut it in half so you have 2 flat halves.

Take the pulp side and just rub it on skin.

For long term /strong treatment, heat it and then wrap it pulp side down.* Heat it on pan, pulp side up

Hair.....same. Wrap scalp with hair neatly wound into thin even circles under aloe vera sections.

edit on 4 2 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Truly excellent advice.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
If you can, send her some good quality biotin to go along with the recommended fat uptake. This will fix things from the inside out. Also, whatever oil she can get her hands on that is solid, like coconut or shea, she can use once a week to deep condition before using a sulfate free shampoo. She should also put a little of the oil in the ends of her hair to keep it protected.

Unfortunately, once hair is damaged, it's damaged, so cosmetic fixes are pretty much the only option until new hair grows in.

If your lady love has a deep or tan complexion, the pink discolouration that comes with skin damage is hard to alleviate yourself, time will take care of it. She shouldn't waste money on creams, just apply coconut oil sparingly to keep the skin well moisturized. She should also be staying hydrated, of course.
edit on 2-4-2016 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Thank you all so much for your advice. I'm sending her this thread so she can read through it and decide what she wants to do. You're all so nice.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
tell her to take lysine tablets daily, it's supposed to be great for hair and skin.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join