It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest Shipment Ever of UK Nuclear Waste to Cross the Atlantic Ocean to be Processed in the U.S.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

The UK Government confirmed yesterday a deal had been struck and David Cameron will set out the details in Washington where he is attending the International Nuclear Security Summit.

Officials would not comment on the planned mode of transport of the material however, citing security reasons.
www.pressandjournal.co.uk...

PLANS to transport 700kg of highly enriched uranium to the US from Dounreay have been slammed as a "callous disregard for safety" by the Scottish Greens.

It has been revealed that the largest ever shipment of British HEU nuclear waste will be sent from the Scots storage facility, as part of a landmark deal that will help in the fight against cancer.

The highly-enriched uranium will be used to produce medical isotopes that can be used as part of a cancer-fighting treatment.

But John Finnie, Scottish Greens Justice spokesperson and MSP candidate for the Highlands and Islands, criticized the move, saying: "The UK government's attempt to present the proposal to send dangerous nuclear waste across the Atlantic as helping in the fight against cancer is at best misleading, and at worst cynical.

"Moving such a large amount of toxic waste shows callous disregard for the safety of people in the Highlands.

"There must be better ways to fight cancer than sending dangerous uranium on an 11,000km round trip."
www.dailyrecord.co.uk...

Moving 700 kg of highly enriched uranium about 11,000 km seems to risky to transport across our ocean. What if something goes wrong?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
OH yippee, we send China chickens, the UK sends us nuclear waste.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

Wonder what America wants with all that highly enriched uranium.

edit on 2-4-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
First this agreement and then in the next breath, more fear about extremists getting their hands on Nuclear material.

news.sky.com...

edit on 2/4/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Pirates and dirty bombs. Let's advertise the ships movements. Scary scary scary. Countries should deal with their own waste.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
So Hillary sells half our goddamn uranium to the Russians and we have to get from the UK? How friggin rich is that?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Oh no's!!!

The military has transported thousands of tons of radioactive material all over the world. The stuff that is being transported this time had to travel to that site in the past.

Don't panic....

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Great! A possible traveling Fukushima in the Atlantic ocean! And of course they just HAVE to announce this shipment to the whole world! I guess they think they're in no danger from high seas pirates?! Or God knows what other happenstance could be waiting out there....

I just love being constantly surprised by the total STUPIDITY of humanity on a daily basis. When will it end? When we are no more I guess
edit on 2-4-2016 by Rubicon3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Sorry America...I can only apologies. If i had it my way i would send it to Westminster.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Maybe just maybe it will be flying...they didn't exactly name the mode of transport...not that there are many options. Hell it could come by submarine for all we know.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
First we import terrorists and now we import enriched material. Great.........

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent
First we import terrorists and now we import enriched material. Great.........

As long as they don't ship the pair together to cut down costs, I'm sure everything will be a okay, right?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

To be used in a high-flux isotope production reactor for making medical and scientific isotopes.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rubicon3

Great! A possible traveling Fukushima in the Atlantic ocean! And of course they just HAVE to announce this shipment to the whole world! I guess they think they're in no danger from high seas pirates?! Or God knows what other happenstance could be waiting out there....

You do realize there are well over a hundred nuclear reactors traveling in the ocean?

High-seas pirates?? against a nuclear shipment, managed by the US Navy? Who's going to get away with hijacking that?

What if they put it in a sub?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Maybe Kim could hit that with one of his missiles. Although it would like shooting at a duck in the middle of a lake with a bb gun. Wrong ocean I suppose.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
If they're saying they're shipping something that can be used as a dirty bomb in public the actual chances of it having anything dangerous are pretty much zero as theres no way they'll give the route out for such thing in advance.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I can't understand why they are so illogical about sending that stuff to be kept in rather expensive facilities in the US.

Why not simply ship it to Japan and pour it down the holes at Fukushima? What's the problem with a little more radioactive junk in the environment? Nothing can be done about it anyway?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel
a reply to: gortex

To be used in a high-flux isotope production reactor for making medical and scientific isotopes.

Well if that's the official story I'm sure it's true.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
If they're saying they're shipping something that can be used as a dirty bomb in public the actual chances of it having anything dangerous are pretty much zero as theres no way they'll give the route out for such thing in advance.

Maxatoria, Betty Page always will get a star from me!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join