It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's ok to murder bad guys but not undercover cops...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   
City settles $6.5M lawsuit filed by officer shot during undercover sting

An undercover police officer get's a 6.5m lawsuit settlement because his fellow officers mistaken him for the bad guy and shoots him multiple times without proper reason.

The information I've gathered on this case:
- Undercover cop is part of a dug bust
- Officers scream at him to see his hands
- Officers see gun and start shooting
- Undercover officer struck many times
- Officer says "I thought you were the bad guy"
- Undercover officer gets mucho dinero!

A couple of things stood out here:
- Obviously the under cover officer complied with officers demands. He wouldn't have pointed the gun at them or even went for the gun. They simply just saw the gun and started blasting like a bunch of idiots, not even recognizing their own undercover buddy who they quickly recognized after shooting him up.
- "I thought you were the bad guy". So it's ok to kill bad guys without proper reason, now. Just because you see a gun does not justify use of force. Before you use force, you HAVE to determine that you ARE under threat, meaning that that suspect has a hand on that gun and is or is attempting to point it at you to kill you. No excuses! MINIMAL force necessary! No exceptions!
- The officers involved were not charged with attempted murder, which they should have been. Maybe if the courts stop overlooking this obvious crime and start charging these cops, the problem will stop. They were sued and the undercover won so it's obvious that the sued party was at fault and guilty of crimes they were not charged with. Plainly put... they should have been charged with attempted murder.

This makes me SOOOOOO angry. Once again, folx. Here is just another of many tales where the person in the role of authority, be it government or local authorities, get no punishment for the crimes they commit while you and I, the regular every day citizen who pay for these #%@&*$ salaries are the ones who are beat down, shot and imprisoned for lesser mistakes. Where is the outcry? Where is the rage? Why are people not rioting for THIS kind of behavior? People only riot when it's their own children and usually when their children are the ones guilty of some major crime. Yet, when this happens, people do not think that this is much of a bother and likely because... "it's just a cop on cop crime... who cares". But that undercover cop could potentially be their child who committed no crime or may have committed a petty crime. Still, the officers involved meant to KILL and MURDER. Even if that supposed "bad guy" had a gun, this situation would have been attempted murder because there was no evidence that the "bad guy" intended on using deadly force against the officers.

How do officials of every kind get away with so much in our society today? It baffles me. It seriously blows my mind!

Lieutenant Greg Brachle shot Detective Jacob Grant nine times at point-blank range during an undercover drug bust in January 2015. Grant was nearly killed.

According to the city, the settlement amount is $6.5 million and the city will cover Grant’s medical expenses for the rest of his life.

Man... This one takes the cake. I believe there is a word for this but I can't put my finger on it.

Eden said APD immediately took action after the shooting to correct problems within the department that lead to the incident, including better communication within stings.

“We’ve decided that we’re going to change our tactics and put in place new procedures and also add to it some new state of the art equipment that assists officers in undercover operations,” he said.

The chief said some of the changes include new leadership over APD’s narcotics unit and new equipment to help during undercover operations. He said he’s also implemented a new “two check system” that includes an initial mandatory briefing, before stings, and operation checklists. APD said if officers miss any of the briefings they won’t be allowed to take part in the operation.

So to cover up our mistake, we're going to do better next time by doing something else, rather than paying the price for making the blatant mistake in the first place. Riiiiiiiight......

So what you're saying is... If I shoot some guy in cold blood... It's ok because I'm going to think long and hard about it next time and buy some safety equipment and take some lessons and be present for some shooters anonymous classes to assure I don't murder someone again. It's amazing our prisons are so full of murderers with this kind of logic.

For real? Why are lawyers not all over this?!?

Oh yeah.. Law enforcement, that's why.

I bet this isn't the first time.

Oh wait... it's not!

This is the second largest payout in the city’s history. The largest was $8 million to pay the family of Iraq War veteran Kenneth Ellis, after he was killed by an APD officer. The family of Christopher Torres also received $6 million after officers shot their son in his own backyard, and the family of homeless camper James Boyd was awarded $5 million after he was shot and killed by two APD officers in the Foothills.

Source

The city has shelled out almost $40 million in settlements since 2010 when it comes to lawsuits facing the Albuquerque Police Department.

Seriously? $40m???? The taxpayers should be furious. This is their own money! They should have someone's arse in a vice!

Source 2

The details of the shooting can be seen here:

Video 1
Video 2

The video shows Brachle getting out of the truck and approaching the vehicle targeted in the sting. Moments later, he opens the back door of the car and fires several shots.

Brachle appears to scream out in fear and shock after realizing he'd shot one of his own.

"I'm sorry," Brachle screams. "I didn't know it was you ... I thought you were a bad guy."

"JACOBS BEEN SHOT - JACOBS BEEN SHOT!".

No kidding dumbass... you shot him!

edit on 2-4-2016 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
Just because you see a gun does not justify use of force. Before you use force, you HAVE to determine that you ARE under threat, meaning that that suspect has a hand on that gun and is or is attempting to point it at you to kill you. No excuses! MINIMAL force necessary! No exceptions!

Why? Why not?

If there's a crime going down ... and the criminals decided to arm themselves at some point ... well ... better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. It works both ways.

Sucks the undercover was shot. It's really hard to recover from that ... and you won't come back 100%.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

And if the "gun" was an airsoft or toy gun someone's child left in the car? This applies to everyone in any situation.

Your response is disturbing. More so because of the stars you got from saying it. It's sad.

Why? Because it's the Law!

Why not? Because it's the Law!

So what's good for one side isn't good for the other?

Besides.. The money their dept is hemorrhaging shows that they're obviously in the wrong and there is a serious problem.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Let me make another case for you and your stars.

You're in a vehicle that:
- looks suspicious
- came from the "wrong" neighborhood
- looks similar to a vehicle police are after

You get pulled over and an officer walks up to your car. He see's:
- A gun tucked between your seat (considering it's legal in your state)
- An airsoft laying on the floor from your teenage son
- A paintball gun sitting in the seat from your earlier fun day with friends
- A cap gun that belongs to your child
- Something that is mistaken for a gun but really isn't upon close inspection

The cop starts blasting you as soon as the words "GUN GUN!" comes out of his mouth.

According to your example... It's justified. Because.. "better to be judged by twelve than carried by six".

There is a reason for the court system. Obviously it doesn't work like it's supposed to, but officers are NOT supposed to be judges.

But hey.. it's ok. You've just been murdered but by your own example, it's totally fine. If any kids are killed in the crossfire... totally ok. Because you just said it was.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Let's be clear (heh heh) ... nothing is black and white except a squad car.

Laws are great, until you step out into the real world. They're guides to a world painted in shades of gray. Nothing more.

Criminals (what a funny name) don't obey the law. Bad guys break the law. People who are dangerous to cops arm themselves before breaking the law.

Most of you go happily about your lives. Most cops could hardly care that you're a criminal who occasionally breaks the law. Cops hate it when they get a call that a criminal is in the process of breaking the law. That usually involves paperwork. Does anyone like paperwork? LOL Civilians don't put your lives on the line ... just to do your jobs. You need to let that sink in. If you still want to be upset ... because you're not in control ... I can't help you.

Sorry my post got more stars than yours did. Feel better?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

The Lieutenant, Greg Brachle, should be charged accordingly, and Detective Jacob Grant should get Workers' Comp, with a nice settlement, just like everyone else who is injured on the job. Then, he should sue Greg Brachle, personally. The city should not have to pay $6.5 million!

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   
All this over a little substance made illegal keeping the big fish in business. The war on drugs is so pointless.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Sure, it's no wonder US law enforcers have such a hard job not shooting people... they are extremely scared on the job. Right?

He shot someone he recognized after, he saw a gun NOT in the suspects hand. Either this LEO was near the point of pissing himself and reacted out of fear OR he had no qualms about shooting someone he considers a criminal.

9 at point blank range.

I'm not sure about you but I find either scenario, well. Unfit for duty.

The OP mentioned several cases within the same city where payouts have been made due to unnecessary death or wounding. Clearly a problem stands.

Fear?
or
Lack of empathy to human life?

What say you?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Let's add one more scenario for consideration: the cop finds the driver ready with a gun in their hands.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

A decent individual would rather die than shoot and/or kill a man who posed no threat. One might say that the only individuals who should be permitted to carry a gun as part of their daily job role, should be of that exact breeding.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
All you had to do was mention APD...those jackasses are about as dirty as you could get. So glad I moved away from that city.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Let's be clear (heh heh) ... nothing is black and white except a squad car.

Laws are great, until you step out into the real world. They're guides to a world painted in shades of gray. Nothing more.

Criminals (what a funny name) don't obey the law. Bad guys break the law. People who are dangerous to cops arm themselves before breaking the law.

Most of you go happily about your lives. Most cops could hardly care that you're a criminal who occasionally breaks the law. Cops hate it when they get a call that a criminal is in the process of breaking the law. That usually involves paperwork. Does anyone like paperwork? LOL Civilians don't put your lives on the line ... just to do your jobs. You need to let that sink in. If you still want to be upset ... because you're not in control ... I can't help you.

Sorry my post got more stars than yours did. Feel better?

It's not about the stars. The stars only represent people who agreed with you, nothing more. It just gives an indication of the amount of people who think like you and that's the sad part. It bothers me that there are people, like you... obviously, who believe that the law only applies one way. THAT's the problem. You justify it because "bad guys break laws". You're above putting yourself in someone elses shoes.

When you say there are shades of grey, that's total BS. One creates shades only to justify their own beliefs. There is only black and white. The lesser of two evils are shades and that simply isn't a choice or an option. That's a broken way of thinking and rationalizing.

You said it yourself... "Because you're not in control". See, that's a problem for police officers. I know personally.

Here's a little tid bit for you. I was a patrol officer for a number of years and apparently I don't think like all LEOs. I actually see a right and wrong. It's troubling to know for a fact that there are quite a few LEOs who believe they're above the law. I get the feeling that you might or have some connection to those very same officers who believe you're above it all.

The very first day I was on the job, I had a fellow officer who mentored me played Q&A with me. One thing of it all stood out more than the rest...

"You see that guy over there. He didn't use his blinker. What are you going to do"?

"I'm going to pull him over".

"Why? Do you always use your blinker 100% of the time"?

That question didn't even need an answer. His point was... Why would you punish someone if you yourself broke the same rules? How can you justify your actions if you're taking action against someone for doing the same thing you yourself have done.

That mentor made me a better cop because he made me look within. He didn't just speak to me. He spoke to my conscious. Knowing what I know... and knowing how many broken, ruthless and crooked cops that were around me and in the world today is very disturbing.

Cops who think EXACTLY like you do.

It's pathetic. How can you claim to uphold the law when you don't follow it yourself?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Civilians don't put your lives on the line ... just to do your jobs.

Bull#. MANY civilians put their lives on line for work FAR more than any cop does.......

You need to let that sink in.

Try your own medicine. ........

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

Sure, it's no wonder US law enforcers have such a hard job not shooting people... they are extremely scared on the job. Right?

He shot someone he recognized after, he saw a gun NOT in the suspects hand. Either this LEO was near the point of pissing himself and reacted out of fear OR he had no qualms about shooting someone he considers a criminal.

9 at point blank range.

I'm not sure about you but I find either scenario, well. Unfit for duty.

The OP mentioned several cases within the same city where payouts have been made due to unnecessary death or wounding. Clearly a problem stands.

Fear?
or

What say you?

Exactly! Damn good point.

If the LEO is that damned incompetent or afraid for his life, he's in the wrong business. He's in the business of upholding the law, not breaking it for his own reasons. He can't just bend the law every time he pisses himself.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: VP740

Let's add one more scenario for consideration: the cop finds the driver ready with a gun in their hands.

Then that LEO would be justified in shooting the person holding the gun. I don't see the problem here. Do you honestly think I'm saying that people pointing guns at cops shouldn't be shot?

If so... You missed the whole point of my OP. You really should go back and re-read.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: VP740

If it happened more often.

Maybe then all this # would be justified.?
edit on 2-4-2016 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Fear?
or

What say you?

Fear. One hopes to not be placed in a situation where their life is in jeopardy. A superfluid situation where anything can happen ... an outcome similar to rolling a pair of dice and expecting a number, but the dice don't stop bouncing around ... or fall right through the table.

Consider that most cops will never hit that situation at all ... let alone develop what one could reasonably define as experience.

But ... give someone an armchair, or a keyboard and an Internet connection. LOL

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I would have thought that Murder no matter who is illegal in the extreme. Pretty much the worse crime one can commit aside from kiddie fiddling or rape.
edit on 2-4-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Fear?
or

What say you?

Fear. One hopes to not be placed in a situation where their life is in jeopardy. A superfluid situation where anything can happen ... an outcome similar to rolling a pair of dice and expecting a number, but the dice don't stop bouncing around ... or fall right through the table.

Consider that most cops will never hit that situation at all ... let alone develop what one could reasonably define as experience.

If this is a problem for them, they SHOULD NOT be in that line of work.

Seriously? So because you have the internet and a place to sit, this means that you're uneducated about the law? That's pure ignorance.

I have an arm chair. I have an internet connection. I'm a former police officer. I'm ex-Army. I know the laws in the state where I was a police officer. Hell... I know the laws in the state I currently reside. I have a right to an opinion. Matter of fact... yes.. Fact... It's the printed law and not even an opinion.

I can even call BS where I see it, and you sir, are full of it.

How high on the food chain do you see yourself? How much control do YOU wield? Are YOU in a line of authority? If not.. that would place you in the same arm chair you're calling others out on.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Problem is that most cops put themselves in the danger in the first place. I'm thinking no knock warrants mostly here.

Either due to lack of training, gung-ho attitude or just plain Ole stupidity.

So yeah, I don't care when their stupidity backfires on them.......

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join