It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oxford Theology Students Won’t Have To Study Christianity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Well this is good... Diversity is good for the world and natural. Why wouldn't this have been the course of action the entire time?

dennismichaellynch.com...

Daily Mail reports that students reading theology at Oxford University have managed to overturn the 800-year-old tradition that they have to study Christianity throughout their course. Changes are being made to the three-year undergraduate degree to keep up with the changing face of Britain.

Sounds good but then I read this.

These modules will include one called ‘feminist approaches to religion and theology,’ according to the Telegraph. The move, which was initially reported in the Times Higher Education magazine was instigated by both students and lecturers who challenged the lack of diversity in the curriculum.

What the hell? Feminist approaches?

1 step forward, 2 steps back.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

1 step forward, 2 steps back.
and then you find yourself in the ditch .

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   

They will still study Christianity in year 1.

Yes, feminist approaches. You sound as if you have never been near a university in your life.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I can certainly understand them adding diversity to the curriculum. But I would think anyone looking for a degree in theology, would want to study Christianity(past the first year) as well, considering it's prevalence in the world.

"feminist approaches to religion and theology" and "Buddhism in space and time" both sound like interesting courses to me, and would be fine for electives, but isn't theological study supposed to be a bit more focused on the nuts and bolts of...uhm...theology? Not saying those courses don't qualify(loosely), but they do seem a bit fringe for Oxford.

edit on 4/2/2016 by Klassified because: clarity

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

No I've taken programming classes.

Thank god is was at the city college in Santa Barbara I wouldn't last ten minutes dealing with any of the bull#.

i don't get why you think everyone has been to a university when it's still a minority % of the population?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

what the hell is a feminist approach to theology?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   

The statement was mocking your understanding because you've never been. It wasn't disbelief.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: imjack

What's the point is there a point?

Or are you guys just talking # pointless flashing your elite status?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

What's the point is there a point?

Or are you guys just talking # pointless flashing your elite status?

The point is I'm elite because I can answer my own questions with Google, and a programmer is baffled by this concept.

Feminist theology is a movement found in several religions, including Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, and New Thought, to reconsider the traditions, practices, scriptures, and theologies of those religions from a feminist perspective.

But I basically understood this from just the two words being next to each other.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Klassified

Feminists see most religion as very man-centered and misogynistic. Something I agree with incidentally. So I would imagine this will be a mainstay of the course itself(not saying it will be the totality). The problem with it is going to be defining feminism as it relates to the course. It could be any where from mild to wild, depending on the authors and the instructor.
edit on 4/2/2016 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Your amazing.

I'm building a statue of you to worship right now thanks.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Good luck with programming. I hear it's a lot like a language.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
It's a sign of the times. If female students play the gender card, they should found their own religion instead of criticising any religion founded by males. They have had centuries to do it, they could do it any time and start writing to build a library just like other religions, have people join and convert and acquire buildings then eventually get into university on their own merits.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   

maybe it's when we say "Jesus Christ, make me a sandwich"

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Acknowledging the "female" as just as valid and important as the "male."

Wicca, Tao, Hindu, etc. - they value the female/feminine aspect of nature instead of dissing it.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Like another poster stated, Christianity is still compulsory in year 1 but can be skipped in year 2 and they will have the option to take other papers, including "feminist approach to religion and theology" . I don't see anything wrong with this. Why is this 'two steps back'?
(LINK)

originally posted by: johnnyjoe1979
It's a sign of the times. If female students play the gender card, they should found their own religion instead of criticising any religion founded by males. They have had centuries to do it, they could do it any time and start writing to build a library just like other religions, have people join and convert and acquire buildings then eventually get into university on their own merits.

I hope you are being sarcastic, because women, until not long ago, were the property of their fathers and husbands, their children only belonged to the fathers, sons were sent to school and university and girls barely left the house, they couldn't even become vicars because only male were allowed to be Christian leaders, etc etc.Found their own religion? They were incarcerated for smaller things, like asking for the right to vote.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Giving people options isn't a bad thing. Elective classes within any curriculum should be diverse enough to handle the diverse student body.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I imagine they are alluding to goddess based religion.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnnyjoe1979

Wow so much fail in one paragraph!

Maybe you should find out what is actually discussed in these classes that bring a multitude of views from ALL disciplines, and feminism just happens to be ONE of the many disciplines that a SCHOLAR should be familiar with (others include archaeology, history, bibliography etc.) instead of imagining whatever fantasy world you think gets discussed in this class. Considering that feminists studies very much pinpoint the lack of the female point of view in historical documents because they had less access to reading and writing, and were closely monitored by the church, you show your own ignorance when you ask why women simply didn't stand up and start a religion. No one said anything about starting a religion. Feminist discourse doesn't have to be radical and destroy what it critiques, it just nuances a deeper understanding of a lack of feminine voice in the historical process. Women who did try to start their own religion were burned as witches..

You don't know how academia operates.. This is a theology degree from a University, not a seminary degree from Bubba the literalist interpretation of the bible backwoods non accredited college.

edit on 2-4-2016 by AudioOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Feminist approaches?

well there is a bit of patriarchy in the Old Testament, one wonders if the same forced standards will apply to comparative religious studies like ya know...Patriarchy and misogyny in Islam?

<<   2 >>

join