It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hard work pays off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I just wanted to give a message I think isnt appreciated enough in our world.

There is a common idea that you are screwed by forces out of your control from the get go. That you are a fool if you try to change things that are seemingly set in stone.

I just got off the phone with my boss. I have just gotten a promotion today. I am really happy and wanted to share the joy and explain how this happened to me, so others can benefit the same way.

I started a job a little while ago that was going to be a hobby /second job. It has been tough and mostly something that cost me money. I am working for a company that specializes in campaigning and "marketing" focused in politics. Its honest clean work, with an actual benefit to society.

We get public support for new laws, help people get elected, push for awareness of issues, all of that. We are the people politicians and organizations turn to when they want to get a message out to the public. Example: My boss helped get weed legalized in a state where it was not before.

It sounds nefarious, but my boss is a good guy that is motivated beyond money. He does things he believes in and that is why I chose to stick with it.

Like I said, it wasnt going to pay the bills and really was costing me money. The thing is I kept with it and worked my ass off. I went from a nobody to now being a manager of my own team!

Its not a high paying job, and really takes its toll, but it puts to work all of my skills, engages me and forces me to develop new skills. Its really something I am growing to love. It is helping me to grow.

The down side is that I have become more political in my leanings, whereas I used to pretty apolitical. I dont mind since I am doing something I love.

I was offered a position as a manager off the bat at another job before I took this one where I would make TONS of money. I went nuts applying to jobs and sending out resumes since I was going insane at my then current job. I was a slave to them for a pittance. I got offered a few positions out of my intense job searching.

So I got offered a high paying job that would sap my SOUL. I turned down that seemingly secure and well paying job to do what I thought was right. I was motivated by doing something I believed in, and it is finally paying off. Money is not the key to success.

So either tomorrow or the day after I will be flown out to a new state I have never been before, and will be entrusted with a new group of petitioners. I have to orientate my group, develop their knowledge base, study the area we have to work in, break down demographics and map the potential for signatures. Try to reach out to local groups involved in politics in the same way, see what events are going on and try to get involved for our end,...Its cool. I was doing these things before I was a manger, of my own accord because I REALLY wanted to succeed, and I think that is why my boss just up and asked me if I wanted to lead a group as a formal and paid manager.

My last group consisted of guys from low income areas in NYC. Not very well informed and kind of struggling. By the time we were done they were well developed debaters, well informed and thirsty for more. I cant say I DID THAT, but I am not so humble to avoid saying I HELPED them find their way.

I showed them a good work ethic, how to be productive, roll with the punches and keep at it against all odds. I taught them as best I could how to inform themselves, grow.... They are now my new brothers from another mother.

I had an ex gang-banger on my team that was hard to work with. He has since REALLY surprised me. He went from lazy pimp, to upright citizen. Really a great guy trying to make things right. We almost fought, nearly got arrested, struggled to coexist, all of it. We were like rams banging heads....now we are on the same page and its great. I know he will do great things. He was the first to call me his manager even when I was not such a thing. HE made me think of myself as being more. I thank him for that.

I am really proud and motivated to keep at it. I plan on being able to do what my boss does eventually and possibly buy his business years from now. Maybe start my own.

It is all because of hard work. It DOES PAY OFF.

I had no idea what I was doing at first. I was lost but determined. Now I can honestly say I am well on my way to kicking ass in my new chosen profession. I believe in what I am doing and am getting better at it.

So that is my message. Keep at it. Be stubborn about wanting to win. Take risks that mean something to you. Be persistent about where you want to be. Dont fear anything or anyone. Dont let poverty or not having keep you down. The struggle makes you noble. The path you choose defines you. Obsess about your goals. Become your own champion and fight against your old self.

Nothing is beyond you. You are never an old dog that cant learn new skills. I was a product of the hospitality industry, and now am well on my way to working in politics and marketing. I should have failed or just barely gotten by. I proved myself wrong. You can too.

Dont be afraid of hard work. Dont be dis-encouraged by the set backs. Its easier said than done I know. I can only say this:

I remember looking down at my shoes with holes in them that I was walking around in the snow with. Wrapping my feet like a bum in shopping bags under my socks. Skipping meals so my family in Mexico wouldnt have a change in lifestyle. Doing things like walking everywhere to save on train fare, not spending on little things I could go without like coffee or cigarettes. Not treating myself and even not taking care of myself in some instances. It was depressing and almost made me go crawling back to my old job I was getting screwed over by. I had to give it up entirely at this point since it was holding me back from making progress in this new job.

I was so close to quitting and taking the safe path I knew instead of this uncertain one that was driving me to my end. I really was low, low, low. It made me gather myself and push back as much as life was pushing me down. I would recite the poem INVICTUS everyday, several times. The whole situation made me stronger. Defiant like before but with all the fat cut away. I had MY purpose. I think if I was worried about avoiding all that pain I would not have made it through to the end.

Now I look at my new shoes I have to fill, and this moment makes all that depression melt away into strength. I remember the pains, the tears, the rage, all of it. I wont ever forget. It made all my ideals mean something. It put them to the test and they sustained me. They kept me.

Thats it really.

HARD WORK PAYS OFF!

Have a goon one.
Hold it down.

edit on 3 30 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Another awesome writing of yours, tadaman! Nice

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Thanks bro. Its people like you that make life worth living.

Have a good one
Hold it down.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

To be honest it's people like you who could save the planet.
I will be in NY this summer for two weeks. I will buy you a coffee!
If you are free. I have your number.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Yeah man. Please do!

Looking forward to it!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I LIKE seeing this interactive thread. It's heartfelt to the point I can here that "man slap hug" in my mind. It's a good thing!

OP, you are spot on. Good going and excellent inspiration. Good luck in your future...it deserves YOU.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Thank you NewzNose. Tadaman is a great person and the best writer. He is like Google. Ask him anything and the answer comes out!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Wow, once again I am blown away by the love.

We have to chill. I need to reciprocate some of this back at ya.

From my heart, thank you.

edit on 3 30 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   
That's a nice story, and I somehow did the same ,but a different profession, and starting my own business.

Recession made me do that, you have to use your survival instinct, not the aggressive way ,but creative way.

I'm doing it four years now and I still have to work twelve hours a day . I'm not making tons of money, but I survived recession and doing what I was made for .

You would be amazed what gifts you posses if you're a constant fighter to improve yourself, doesn't matter what profession you wear it's what you're made of that you sometimes think it's not there..

Everyday is another day to start all over again and change your life completely. ..

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Congratulations!

However, saying 'hard work pays off' is almost blasphemy in today's world. It implies that people that don't work hard are responsible for their lot in life and that just can't be can it!?!

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Sigh...that was really nice.

I was just writing on another thread how I have a love/hate relationship with ATS. It's people like the ones here that keep me on the right side of the equation.

Someone told me once that I would go far, because I didn't know what I couldn't do...and he was right.

Congrats on your new position.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

The treshold and definition of hard work isn't the same for everyone,I believe nothing has been said about that..?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Agreed. Hard work prepares you for ur lucky moments.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I've never excelled at holding it down; really not one of my skill sets.

Warriors can be female or male. In my world, warriors are not warmongers or necessarily soldiers, but people who take responsibility for themselves and accept the consequences of their actions. They are people who push against the bonds thrust upon them by the system and strike out on their own in accord with their own goals.

ReSpect. If you can sleep well at night, that ain't bad. Sometimes it's enough.

top topics

join