It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The thoughts that creep into your mind right before you sleep...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
So, I know at night, as I'm drifting off, my brain should be getting ready to rest. But this tends to be my most creative time. For years, this was when I would come up with lyrics (used to emcee) and song ideas.

But it's also been a time where I would think thoughts that would then keep me awake. The classic is trying to wonder how I will cope without my family and loved ones in the future (even though I know to enjoy every second and male the most of it, I have never been good with death and coming to terms with it)

Bit one of my favourites lately has been trying to imagine the vastness of space. In both a science and spiritual term. I always find it crazy and down right terrifying to try think how small this whole planet it. Like 6 billion people, all unique. Yet still, all not even amounting to a fragment of dust in the grand scheme of the cosmos. It's beautiful, but crazy to try imagine some of the possibilities out there.

Another one is 'nothingness' just that whole statement in itself. It's crazy to me, it's almost impossible to wrap around. I picture blackness, bit that is something... so then I think of like space, the void in between stars on the night sky, but likewise, that is something....

So what's your favourite thoughts before you fall asleep?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TheFatedOutsider

Of waking up...

I think that starts when you hit your forties.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

My favorite is when I notice my thoughts transition into an automatic dream like state, yet I'm still awake, so when I catch this happening I realize good sleep is near.

I really dislike when I can't calm my mind down and Im kept awake thinking thoughts similar to some of the scary ones you mentioned.

It can go either way for me depending on the season of life and my state of mind.

S&F, fun subject, looking forward to following this one.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: MamaShredAK

My favorite is when I notice my thoughts transition into an automatic dream like state, yet I'm still awake, so when I catch this happening I realize good sleep is near.

I really dislike when I can't calm my mind down and Im kept awake thinking thoughts similar to some of the scary ones you mentioned.

It can go either way for me depending on the season of life and my state of mind.

And apparently I was on my wife's account, that's embarrassing. I was wondering wtf was up with my avatar.

Thought I ought to clarify.

OP gets an extra star and flag out of the deal though!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   

My mind is also always most active right when I lay down to go to "sleep"

Instead of lyrics my mind takes me into random scenarios with people I know, and I tend to repeat similar events that happened to me that day. I don't take any medications. It does vary, sometimes it will be totally random scenarios and situations but always in that sort-of half-dream state, mostly still aware and engaged in the "daze"

haha, lately I haven't been sleeping well and it's a more toned down version of that for the whole night, lots of tossing and turning. It is what it is though, I still feel pretty rested. Dreams are amazing but also quite alarming lol

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

And apparently I was on my wife's account, that's embarrassing. I was wondering wtf was up with my avatar.

Ahahaha brilliant!
Yeah, very rarely I get that state, the sweet calming that happens as I'm about to fall asleep, like I'm awake, but I'm dreaming lightly, it always means in like 10 seconds I'm KO'd for the night! Thanks for S+F

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow

Of waking up...

I think that starts when you hit your forties.

That's only nights before work. They don't count haha

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

My mind is also always most active right when I lay down to go to "sleep"

Instead of lyrics my mind takes me into random scenarios with people I know, and I tend to repeat similar events that happened to me that day. I don't take any medications. It does vary, sometimes it will be totally random scenarios and situations but always in that sort-of half-dream state, mostly still aware and engaged in the "daze"

haha, lately I haven't been sleeping well and it's a more toned down version of that for the whole night, lots of tossing and turning. It is what it is though, I still feel pretty rested. Dreams are amazing but also quite alarming lol
I do that sometimes. But I do that more after the event. I run through it in my head, thinking if things could have been different. Chaos theory and all that jazz haha

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheFatedOutsider

Ahahaha brilliant!
Yeah, very rarely I get that state, the sweet calming that happens as I'm about to fall asleep, like I'm awake, but I'm dreaming lightly, it always means in like 10 seconds I'm KO'd for the night! Thanks for S+F

Yeah that's precisely what I'm talking about! I should add too, that I'm only talking about achieving this dream like state before sleep completely unaided by any substances whatsoever.

With a sleep aid of any sort I feel things are superficial and like cheating.

Not assuming that's at all what you meant, I'm only assuming folks reading my reply will assume I'm not being specific on that...

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I get wandering thoughts very often. But for the past year something very weird has been happening.
I will be falling asleep and i think it must be a dream starting but i can usually hear someone talking. Sometimes a person arguing, or someone saying a name or sentance, heck ive even awoken startled from what sounded like someone yelling.
I dont know if its a side effect from my medication or what. But its been happening like i said for at least a year now.
Sounds crazy to say i hear voices lol, but I'm not crazy. - famous last words.
Must have something to do with the suboxone.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Ahahaha brilliant!

Yeah that's precisely what I'm talking about! I should add too, that I'm only talking about achieving this dream like state before sleep completely unaided by any substances whatsoever.

With a sleep aid of any sort I feel things are superficial and like cheating.

Not assuming that's at all what you meant, I'm only assuming folks reading my reply will assume I'm not being specific on that...

Oh I know what you meant! Yeah, I only get that feeling while sober haha if I'm not sober from whatever, I usually just pass out crazy fast.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
I get wandering thoughts very often. But for the past year something very weird has been happening.
I will be falling asleep and i think it must be a dream starting but i can usually hear someone talking. Sometimes a person arguing, or someone saying a name or sentance, heck ive even awoken startled from what sounded like someone yelling.
I dont know if its a side effect from my medication or what. But its been happening like i said for at least a year now.
I used to get amy explosion in my head (best way to describe it) before I fell asleep. Happened a few times before. Always hated it.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Sometimes weird thoughts or images or patterns flash through my mind. Sometimes they're a bit scary or even violent (as in someone getting hurt, not in me being violent). Sometimes they're just strange colorful patters. None of it ever makes any sense or seems to have any reason.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Right on the edge of sleep, sometimes I have photographic recall of events in my childhood, and I just play them like old movies.

I also have this thing that occasionally happens where I see things at random. Sort of like a slideshow of little video snips, about 1-2 seconds long. There's no pattern to what I'm seeing. And the 'vision' can be from really oddball viewpoints, and is sometimes very distorted in terms of focus, detail and color balance.

As a kid, I got the idea that I might be seeing through other animals' eyes. Most often people, but not always. So the shots from down low could be a kid, or a dog, if it was more monochrome, or from above could be from birds or whatnot. So I started trying to find something that would tell me where the viewer was - a diner name, a road sign or whatnot. But it's tough to lock onto and read text when you can't shift the viewpoint to look right at something and you have 2 seconds to scan a moving scene and read something in your peripheral view. I managed to get something a few times but not enough to positively ID anything.
edit on 30-3-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The things I think of are so broad that I'd have to say the things I try to avoid are easier to mention. This involves anything to do with deaths with those close to me or regrets/failures i've experienced in the past.
Although when it gets to this point, I usually begin to countdown from 99; similar to hypnosis but just to keep my mind 'still'.

When my thoughts become borderline outlandish and intertwined with other thoughts, then I know a good nights sleep is approaching.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   

So, I know at night, as I'm drifting off, my brain should be getting ready to rest.

But one of my favourites lately has been trying to imagine the vastness of space. In both a science and spiritual term. I always find it crazy and down right terrifying to try think how small this whole planet it. Like 6 billion people, all unique. Yet still, all not even amounting to a fragment of dust in the grand scheme of the cosmos. It's beautiful, but crazy to try imagine some of the possibilities out there.

Ah yes...90% of the time, the wonders of the physical universe is what I think about from the moment my head hits the pillow until falling asleep. For some reason, I like to imagine the varied cultures that are in that Hubble Deep Space photograph...the one that contains thousands of GALAXIES. Probably more cultures have come and gone, than what exist at this point, just like more people have died, than are alive today.

Going to sleep like this makes me very calm in day-to-day life for some reason. I used to be a Type-A personality. Now, I look at people rushing around like their next task is a do-or-die thing, or getting upset over what others think or do, and feel bad for them. People who have died/come-back say similar things.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Is there voidness between the stars? I think not. The void is thriving with energy...of some kind.

What is sleep, again? I haven't shut my mind off since 1980. Seriously, I can be uber cerebral, much to my own detriment. My REM sleep has a "keep away" sign near it.

I drift into and out of my consciousness all night. Sleep a little, think a lot.

Yeah, I get ya. * sigh *

Good thread!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
I used to get amy explosion in my head (best way to describe it) before I fell asleep. Happened a few times before. Always hated it.

It's calied exploding head syndrome. Happens to me also when I'm really exhausted.

new topics

top topics

join