It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: Most Americans support torture against terror suspects - poll

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Vector99

Why should we be nice to terrorists?

Basically because 'progressives' say we should.

We are not suppose to be mean to people that want to kill us.

We should send those people over to "negotiate" with them...lol

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Do we torture foreign soldiers?

Does being a soldier make you more than human?

Why would we torture "enemy combatants" and not soldiers?

Do we want our soldiers tortured?

Do 2 wrongs make it right?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I support torture against those who support torture against terror suspects.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Does being a soldier make you more than human?

Why would we torture "enemy combatants" and not soldiers?

Do we want our soldiers tortured?

Do 2 wrongs make it right?

Like I said, no need to cause pain nor physical harm.......

A pill, and a beautiful woman/man and no need for pain to get information from enemy combatants!

I hope the NSA, CIA are monitoring this, because I make less than 20k a year, and I can GUARANTEE results without pain nor harm to anyone getting information!!!!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

We probably did in world war 1,2, Korea, and Vietnam.

Terrorists are not 'soldiers'.

They have no state.

They don't play by any 'rules' but that of 'allahs'.

You can't beat an enemy tying both hands behind our backs.

Why do people think we are no better off today than 8 years ago?

Our soldiers are likely to get their heads cut off.

And our journalists, and our aid workers, and if they happen to be women ?

All of the above after they are raped.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Depends on what you mean by "torture." Waterboarding, IMO, is NOT torture. It gives you the sense of drowning, but guess what? You don't. Weenies call waterboarding "torture" and get their panties in a knot. That is extremely silly.

I'll give you an example of torture:

Torture is when they pull your fingernails out with a pair of pliers.
Torture is when they peel strips of skin off your torso.
Torture is when they hook your genitals up to high voltage and turn the power on.
Torture is when you die in the middle of them inflicting it.

Waterboarding and the stuff America has done in an attempt to get people to talk is not "torture" in any conventional sense of the term.

Wow, ok. Awesome.

Do us all a favor. Water board yourself on YouTube and post it here. .then afterwards feel free to share your observations.

edit on 30-3-2016 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
We Americans are a scary, misguided bunch and we're headed in the complete wrong direction.

Our morality as a nation is in serious question.

Morality aside, these people (we) are so incredibly shortsighted and ignorant with regards to the real life consequences.

The further damage from a Donald Trump Presidency would take decades to undo.

Just a few examples. The search results were almost endless.

Man Freed 25 Years After Police Tortured Him Into A False Confession.

Mentally ill inmates brutally tortured in Michigan women’s prison.

Jon Graham Burge (born December 20, 1947) is a convicted felon and former Chicago Police Department detective and commander who gained notoriety for torturing more than 200 criminal suspects between 1972 and 1991 in order to force confessions.

edit on 30-3-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
People that think torture is "justified" should have to sit in the room during a session.

Not see a glimpse on the screen or read a blurb.

Smell the copper and ammonia tang of mortal terror in real life.

I promise it will change their minds.

I read about a soldier that had a friend killed in Iraq. It caused him to become "lost" for a long time and believe that "end justified the means". One day that soldier witnessed two Iraqi cops questioning a supposed insurgent with a ball peen hammer. The soldier realized then that even our worst enemies are human beings.

It's easy to condemn both the tortured and the torturers as long as our own hands stay clean.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

I guess what bothers me is that we supposedly sit in such a high moral attitude.

Torture is ugly. But war is ugly.

We cannot ever win if we remain above it all. We have to get dirty, we have to become ugly.

Because our enemy is ugly. They don't have the moral bindings that we do.

But that's why they are winning.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I call BS.

A good light infantry squad can lay down hundreds in a day without resorting torture.

Being soft on the enemy and losing one's humanity are two differ things.

By all means, go Viking on them. Make them weep when they remember the day they stood up to us. But do it with the right means.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
If you torture someone you have to be willing to kill them I would think. Not like you can torture a human being and release them back into society and expect nonreaction. You'd essentially be trading one terrorist in the present for a future one. So are we willing to kill for the info? I think we say torture but we all know it's advocating murder. I don't wanna be like them, justifying murder for our own ends, even if we call it preemptive. I'd like to think we are better than that.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus
a reply to: DBCowboy

I call BS.

A good light infantry squad can lay down hundreds in a day without resorting torture.

Being soft on the enemy and losing one's humanity are two differ things.

By all means, go Viking on them. Make them weep when they remember the day they stood up to us. But do it with the right means.

Yo terrorists don't fight like conventional forces.

Already forget Brussels ?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

Hey brother it's a simple question and everyone can answer this the way they choose but I know my answer.

If somebody you loved were captive and in imminent danger, and you had the person/source in custody would you act in a way that is beneficial towards your loved one (including torture) to get the information on their wear abouts and the guarantee of their safe return. Or would you act ideally and allow that loved one to suffer whatever fate may come. I know my answer what is yours?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Quite honestly, the thought of "taking the high ground"..... and yes, I'll say it...following the Geneva conventions...is naive.

I will treat you with dignity. I will consider your concerns and desires. I will be a good person.

War? No..... all bets are off. If I'm fighting you, I'm going to fight to win. Pure and simple. And, in a case of needing information....and the lives of those near and dear are at risk? Give me the bamboo shoots...I'm shoving them up under your fingernails.

I damned near died laughing when the popular meme was "torture doesn't get results". Purely ludicrous.

"Oh, but...they'll say *anything* to get you to stop!" - You're damned right. Including what I want to know from them.

A friend of mine in intelligence during Vietnam told me something. If you have good reason to believe that someone out of a group of...oh, let's say four people....know something you need to know....take them up in a helicopter for a nice trip.

Hover at about...oh...400 feet. Open the door. Ask one of the four your question. Don't get the answer you need? Out the door...NEXT?

Here's the thing. War and defense...are not nice things. There is no salute for a good effort. No consolation mini-trophies.

War is bloody. War is painful. War is scary. War is ugly.

And as we've proven...time and time again...war is human.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Morality is a construct.

Good? Evil? Neither exist. Good is when you're doing something socially acceptable....following their norms.

Bad? Bad is when you are not following societal rules.

If any of you have a hard time sleeping tonight...my most sincere apologies. But, this is reality.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   

No I haven't forgotten, perhaps they should snatch up a few muzzles in Belgium and go at them with a pair of pliers until they get some info.

Make sense?

"Fight them there or fight them here" ring a bell?

We stopped fighting them on their ground and it was only a matter of time.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides
a reply to: gladtobehere

Morality is a construct.

Good? Evil? Neither exist. Good is when you're doing something socially acceptable....following their norms.

Bad? Bad is when you are not following societal rules.

If any of you have a hard time sleeping tonight...my most sincere apologies. But, this is reality.

You got to admit though....

A tab of Ecstasy, a good looking dude or dame, and some minutes of film of the apprehended subject behaving in a sexual manner opposed to his religious beliefs?

With that video what do you think the chance of the chump going back home to join the battlefield?

Like I said earlier, I am open for offers for my expertise in how to get men to talk and cooperate!

Trust me, our government damn well knows exactly what I am talking about, but they choose to use their barbaric tactics to further divide us!

Business as usual for corrupt governments......

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

To each their own. We all have our own demons.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Personally, I don't have a problem with torture. If someone say abducted a member of my family and I had someone with the info I needed in my custody. They would need to invent a new word for what I would do to them.

But....As a US Service member, we and our Govt. are supposed to represent and embody all that is best about America. One of those things is that we hold ourselves to a higher standard of conduct. I realize that really isn't practiced much by most of our Govt. But some of us actually believe in principals and oaths of honor. So acting in my capacity as a US Marine, I could never allow someone in my control to be tortured.

Just my two cents.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
But....As a US Service member, we and our Govt. are supposed to represent and embody all that is best about America. One of those things is that we hold ourselves to a higher standard of conduct. I realize that really isn't practiced much by most of our Govt. But some of us actually believe in principals and oaths of honor. So acting in my capacity as a US Marine, I could never allow someone in my control to be tortured.

First of all, with all sincerity, Thank you for your service. What you do, is a service that nobody could begin to compensate you for appropriately.

I fully understand your desire to stand above. I respect the sense of honor that you personify.

I do have to respectfully disagree though. Honestly, were I in your shoes....I would not expect to receive the same treatment from enemy combatants.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join