It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dreadlocks Have Been Worn By Many Different Cultures Throughout History

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   

I recently uploaded some photos of myself to Tumblr. I expected a couple of comments, maybe the odd bullying jibe. I didn't expect the reaction I got. Suddenly I was being accused of cultural appropriation, branded a racist, jeered at and threatened. Why? Because I am white and I have locked hair. I was shocked. Naively, it hadn't occured to me that people would look at my hair and presume i'd appropriated black culture.

You see, i've never thought of, or called my hair 'dreadlocks'. To me they are elflocks (or as I call them, simply 'locks'), and they are an interesting part of my culture, a part of English folklore which can be traced back to at least the 16th century.
www.dreadsuk.com...

A friend sometimes has this problem. His locks attract attention. Occasionally those without knowledge of the history of locks accuse him of appropriating another culture. He loves going into the historical explanation.

The latest high profile example of someone showing their ignorance of the rich cultural diversity of locks comes from San Francisco State University. I suppose we shouldn't be surprised considering the extent to which education has been dumbed down.

Anyone on ATS want to claim locks for one particular culture? It's like claiming your culture invented the wheel.
edit on 30 3 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I find it incredible that anyone thinks they have the right to object to someone else's appearance.

It doesn't matter what culture a hairstyle is from, anyone objecting can just get stuffed.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I'm so over this Black Privileged # it makes me sick, get over yourselves your not special. I can see the day when every one see's it this way and eventually has enough and calls it out for what it is...Race Superiority.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

I saw the clip, it was bad..

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I don't completely understand the concept of 'cultural appropriation'.

If cherished religious symbolism, for example, is appropriated and used disrespectfully then I completely understand that there is a problem.

However, clothing and hairstyles are a different thing altogether. What is so wrong about celebrating another culture by adopting their style?

What are Europeans to say to the many persons of non-European descent who wear Western style clothing and hairstyles?

If this was a two-way street we'd find ourselves in a situation that was farcical.

Dreadlocks? The little guy referenced in the article just looks like a scruffy bugger to me. I'm sure the last thing on his mind was to cause cultural offense when he let his hair get into that state.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   
i saw a new catchphrase called afrocentric, meaning, everything, everywhere came from Africa but it seems to be isolated to American culture.. Thats the moon, Africans made it,, okay... Thats Neanderthals, they came from Africa.. Okaaay, but they thrived in cold climate, Africa was life.. okaaaay.. I know winners dictate history, but, maybe the earth is older than the black panther movement.. No Africa is a time machine.. Thats the discussion level..

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   

REAL men, of old, didn't brush each other's hair! LOL But really, dreadlocks were first worn by goats and sheep, the leaders in hair fashion of all kinds!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

IM A SHEEP!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I have no doubt many cultures have had them.

Not washing or combing your hair, or both, for a certain period of time results in dreadlocks.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I started a thread yesterday on the SFSU Video
SFSU Dreadlock Thread

I think the "cultural appropiate" thing is just plain wrong.

First of all it s very difficult to find out what would be appropriate for which culture. (As presented here, there are a lot of cultures sporting dreadlocks). Then you ould have to find out what your own culture is.

Imagine a white Jewish gay person who lives since generations in an arab culture. Should he dress gay (whatever that means) or jewish or rather arabic. Or combine a Kippa with arabic garb and a pink manpurse?

The examples are silly - to prove a point.

The positive example would be the Oktoberfest; millions of tourists from all over the world visiting Munich. A lot of them wear the traditionial Bavarian Lederhosen or Dirndel.

Everybody likes it everybody is happy. No one would confront an american or asian tourist about being cultural appropiate.
Au contraire: Munich's shops make millions selling Lederhosen and Dirndels.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I am almost certain the word locks comes from the Celts, not sure if they coined the term dreadlocks but they were wearing them long before Jamaica was discovered and populated with blacks. Jamaicans are often associated with dreadlocks because of the Rastafarian culture.

Did Rastafarians "appropriate" the Celt culture? Should the tables be turned in that disgusting video?

EDIT - PS, I have reason to believe the video is a hoax.
edit on 30-3-2016 by BIGPoJo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I don't know if anyone can rightfully claim dreadlocks - they just happen when you don't brush your hair (ahem
). I guess they were pretty common across the globe. One thing we do know about the Celts is that they were crazy about their combs, so maybe dreads were a seasonal fashion thing?

I don't understand the author's logic though:

As little was written about the Celts, Britons or Druids, it's hard to pinpoint the exact moment in time Elflocks emerged, but archaeological finds like stone henge can attest that they may be traced back as far as 2000BC and beyond.

I don't get how he makes that leap, particularly as the first time they appear in literature is in Romeo and Juliet, written at the end of the 16th c (not 15th as he claims).

Very interesting thread, though S&F.

B x
edit on 30-3-2016 by beansidhe because: bb

top topics

join