It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever held $800 dollars in your hand?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: MisterSpock

No the supply aspect is the supply of the item in question. The demand is a marketing gimmick.

I guess you can see it that way. The illusion of demand is driven by the pretense of there not being enough supply.

I suppose they are really approaching from both ends in marketing.

Reminds me of the watch, you had to make an appointment JUST TO LOOK AT IT. You couldn't buy one because "they are super hard to find"(supply). It's their standard tactic that works well with the phone, but didn't pan out so well with the watch. Either way, I do admire and acknowledge the sheer brilliance behind the whole scam.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I admire their tablet scam much more. With tablets, they literally invented a market out of thin air. At least with smart phones, the cell phone market already existed and they were just improving on that. But no one even knew they WANTED a tablet before Apple came out and said, "Hey pleebs! You want to buy this!" and everyone did. Now we have a tablet market for people who want to touch their laptop screens.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I admire their tablet scam much more. With tablets, they literally invented a market out of thin air. At least with smart phones, the cell phone market already existed and they were just improving on that. But no one even knew they WANTED a tablet before Apple came out and said, "Hey pleebs! You want to buy this!" and everyone did. Now we have a tablet market for people who want to touch their laptop screens.

There was a market for tablets, the technology just wasn't quite there yet to make them viable and practical on a large scale. Remember the Apple Newton? Palm Pilots?

I love surfing on my tablet. Allows me to do quick emails and other things when the laptop is too clunky.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

If you say so. I see the correlation between the palm technology and smart phones more so than tablet technology though. Tablets, to me, are just bigger smart phones that aren't necessarily able to make a phone call.

I don't decry people from buying them, they just seem redundant to me. I can do everything you can do on a tablet on a smart phone or a laptop. I get the quick ease of use you were talking about with my smart phone and I get raw computing power with my laptop.

ETA: For evidence of what I'm talking about, check this out. Microsoft apparently invented the first tablet, but it bombed. Apple created the hype out of thin air for their ipad.
The History Of The Tablet, An Idea Steve Jobs Stole And Turned Into A Game-Changer
Microsoft released its first tablet 10 years ago. So why did Apple win with the iPad?
edit on 30-3-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Excellent point, and Edumakated has a valid point as well. There was/is a market but I agree with you in the sense that apple drastically inflated that market well beyond what it would have been.

Tablets are "cool" and moderately useful, however the concept of them as a laptop replacement is unrealistic, IMO. I have been using computers for a long time. The functionality and efficiency of a tablet(touchscreen only) is dismal compared to a laptop. I have no desire to use one for anything more than an ereader. Yet, even with that I find that I prefer to have an actual book as opposed to an e-version.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Steve Jobs is like the Thomas Edison of the 21st century. He didn't really invent anything, he stole existing ideas, and is an AMAZING marketer/businessman.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

If you say so. I see the correlation between the palm technology and smart phones more so than tablet technology though. Tablets, to me, are just bigger smart phones that aren't necessarily able to make a phone call.

I don't decry people from buying them, they just seem redundant to me. I can do everything you can do on a tablet on a smart phone or a laptop. I get the quick ease of use you were talking about with my smart phone and I get raw computing power with my laptop.

ETA: For evidence of what I'm talking about, check this out. Microsoft apparently invented the first tablet, but it bombed. Apple created the hype out of thin air for their ipad.
The History Of The Tablet, An Idea Steve Jobs Stole And Turned Into A Game-Changer
Microsoft released its first tablet 10 years ago. So why did Apple win with the iPad?

It bombed because the software wasn't right. They tried to fit Windows XP on it. Apps are what make tablets and phones work so great now. We had none of that back then.

I recall a co-worker using the Apple Newton back in 96/97. It was clunky and just didn't have the processing power to be really functional.

Apple had the right product at the right time.

I have a 8 inch tablet for surfing and entertainment. I usually travel with it. I also have a Surface Pro 3 for real computing. I use my S6 mainly for calls and texting. I do surf on it and do other things in a pinch. Even with its large screen, I find it a bit too small to be practical. This is why those phablets are popular with the larger screens.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Hey, you don't have to justify your purchase to me. I just don't see the need for them personally. If you get something out of them, great. But you have to admit that up until the ipad was released there was next to no demand for these things.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Did you pay by cash? or did I miss the $800 in your hand?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
A nice still camera, video camera, voice recorder, navigation device, portable telephone, entertainment device, music player and receiver, alarm clock, gaming machine, storage device. Lots of "things" in that skinny little package.
Maybe they are too cheap?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I don't get the smartphone fad. I also don't get the tablet fad, either, so take that for what you will. My 3 year old $400 refurbished HP laptop has more to offer me than a smartphone does, but that's looking at them in terms of getting your money's worth for under-the-hood specs. Kind of why I won't drop the dough on a tablet yet (when they're as good as a laptop, or better, both in specs & price, THEN I might get one)

My husband has a smartphone, but it's a Boost phone. I think it was $50 or $60 on clearance when he bought it, but its better than hundreds. I still don't see what he finds so awesome about it, all he does is call people...My dinosaur of a feature phone does the same (but I miss my Qwerty, I wish it hadn't kicked the bucket)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I don't get the smartphone fad. I also don't get the tablet fad, either, so take that for what you will. My 3 year old $400 refurbished HP laptop has more to offer me than a smartphone does, but that's looking at them in terms of getting your money's worth for under-the-hood specs. Kind of why I won't drop the dough on a tablet yet (when they're as good as a laptop, or better, both in specs & price, THEN I might get one)

My husband has a smartphone, but it's a Boost phone. I think it was $50 or $60 on clearance when he bought it, but its better than hundreds. I still don't see what he finds so awesome about it, all he does is call people...My dinosaur of a feature phone does the same (but I miss my Qwerty, I wish it hadn't kicked the bucket)

Some people need them. Some don't. I certainly don't need mine to survive but i definitely use enough of the features for hours every day to make it worthwhile having a smartphone.

As for tablets. They are just easier to hold and browse things on. Of course a laptop offers more in terms of performance but not in terms of handyness.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

The simple answer is that things are worth what you're willing to pay/do to have them--nothing more, nothing less. Yes, there is a pre-determined price attached to some things, but that is so that there can be a profit made and further money used on R&D for the next multi-hundred-dollar item that you are going to feel obligated to have.

So, if you like the item, and it is something that you use regularly, then it is probably worth it. I have had my iPhone 5 for probably 2 years now, and it cost me around $600 for it. Divided up over 24-ish months, I've paid $25/mo. for a device that is basically a miniature computer that helps me when I'm lost, allows me to pay my bills, look up things online, play games when I'm bored, keep in touch with family and friends via voice, texting, or video, and everything in between all that I said.

If you think of it in terms like that, maybe you'll feel better about the cost of some technology.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yeah, I never understood the IPad/tablet thing at all. You can't do any professional app work on them (or at least you shouldn't be, especially creative field type stuff). It's it kinda like... hmmmm, let's make something between a phone and a laptop, people will buy into it.

Then again, I think they then went a step further with all these ridiculously large smart phones (Iphone 6, 6 +, Samsung Galaxy, Google Nexus, etc.) and made people want something between a regular smart phone and a tablet. So stupid. How many 'in-between' two things do we need?

That said, I will say that iPads seem really good when it comes to kids and young kids for learning and such. I know plenty of parents that saw a need for them there, and I'll concede on that functionality.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

And now they have mini-tablets. At this point in time, when does it stop being a smart phone and become a tablet?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Price, value and cost are 3 different thing.

I personally am fed up with the iphone. The last update just killed it.

3 of 4 of the last updates have been a nighmare. With my phone unusable for hours and in one case days.

So i am looking for an alternative.

Best would be this combo: good OS, modular hardware like the fairphone but better camera than the fairphone plus the indestructability of the old Nokia 8810. And all that for the price of a Huawei.

Any suggestions?

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

Actually, my husband has a Galaxy and loves it. When he replaces it, he'll get another "phablet" phone.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

sim card slot ? : yes = phone , no = tablet ????

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join