It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Horseman's Dilemma

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I've been writing several conversations between some of my characters... and I have really fallen in love with this particular bit of a chapter. I struggle a bit trying to make my character's conversations seem natural and flow well, but, I'm really pleased with this.
Just wanted to share.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Matthew rose bleary-eyed from his bed as the pounding at his door disturbed him from his restless sleep. “By the Three! What do you want!?” He exclaimed in violent exasperation as he opened the door with force and saw a mere stableboy hovering outside, appearing to double and triple in his sight as he blinked rapidly to remove the remnants of sleep from his eyes. Covered in hay, the stableboy stuttered his response. “I-I’m very s-sorry, s-sir… Lord M-magister N-nic-nicolai requests y-your p-presence…”

“By Xander’s eternal flame!” Matthew slammed the weighty door, barely missing the face of the pathetic boy, and stood by his rack of attire. A slight hesitation as he decided between his uniform or the entirety of his ceremonial garb, before he shook his head angrily, annoyed at himself for allowing confusion to reign as he donned his usual uniform.

There was an inkling within him and he felt that he knew the purpose behind this rude awakening. It had been four days since his services were last required; since he had delivered that red-haired mage to the Council. He had experienced a guilt he had never before felt as he had watched that marked mage be led away from him, to suffer whatever monstrosities their High Magister had in store for her. Though surely the man would not have risked the ire of the Three by doing anything too unpleasant towards one of the rare Chosen. Surely. He did not know anymore. Their new High Magister was an unknown.

Caelin had replaced Victus as their High Magister for little over a fortnight now and already the changes within the castle were overwhelming; the people were more hushed, shadows seemed to appear within corners that were once filled with light, the Lord Magisters themselves seemed irritable and lost… Lord Magister Lena’s disappearance was a highly notable incident, she had been a near permanent fixture within the lower levels of the castle and her presence was sorely missed; the rumours were quick to flow, a near constant stream of gossip whispered from ear to ear in regards to her unlikely desertion… he felt a personal anguish at being the only non-magical witness privy to the particulars of why she had ‘disappeared’. Forever a loyal servant, he would harbour this knowledge until his end.

He had barely been able to conceal his shock as a stone-faced Nicolai dismissed him, his heart pounding within his chest as he allowed instinct to rule over him; the hidden knowledge that his life depended on remaining steadfast, unperturbed, had been his one saving grace. Lord Magister Nicolai had been a very close friend of Lena’s, they had likely been lovers though such gossip was unimportant in the long run… as malevolent and wicked the Magisters were known to be, Matthew knew that a few of the men and women actually had something resembling consciences, he had believed Lena to be one of those women… perhaps that was why she had turned.

Once again, he angrily shook his head. He would not think these thoughts, he would not allow them bastion in his sacred mind! He was a loyal servant of their High Magister Caelin. He would repeat that litany over and forever until the day he died.

He had wasted too much time. Buttoning the two final buttons on his uniform, he quickly rubbed his hands through the tangled mess of his hair in a feeble attempt to neaten the knots, to become somewhat presentable after his restless night. It would have to do. He carefully equipped his scabbard and left the room, noting that the stableboy had been quick to scarper.

He hurried down the dimly lit corridor, hastening his steps as an irregular paranoia began to tickle the skin at the back of his neck, he struggled to keep his eyes forward as a nameless fear beckoned to him from the shadows, seeming to whisper inaudible words into his ears. A chill struck his spine and he quickly made his way down the spiralling staircases, the fear at his back dissipating as he exited the castle and entered the courtyard. He wiped away the sweat that had formed on his brow, feeling utterly ridiculous and yet entirely relieved as he stepped into the outside world, away from the whispering walls of the castle.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Inhaling the cool morning’s air, he allowed a moment for his eyes to adjust to the dull morning’s light and glanced up into the Aethya. The maelstrom was simply beautiful this morning, a calm and serene green emanated from the heavens leaving him feeling almost completely tranquil after the superstitious fear he had felt in the castle’s hallways. He glanced over towards the stables in the distance and saw the vague silhouette of a robed figure softly stroking one of the horses. Lord Nicolai. Composing his face, Matthew strode purposefully over the stone slabs of the courtyard towards the Magister and stood at attention. “You required my presence, milord?”

The robed man stood back from the obsidian steed and drew himself to his full height, appearing almost anxious as he peered down at Matthew, smiling apprehensively as he waved a shaking hand casually into the air. “At ease.”

Matthew smirked inwardly at the irony of the Magister’s command in conjunction with the unconcealed expression on his face, before realising the deeper implications of the man’s appearance. He quickly wiped at his brow once more before attempting to relax his posture, shuffling about in his pockets to find a sugar-cube for the horse. Nicolai gazed up towards the Aethya and murmured softly. “She is beautiful this morning…” Echoing the thoughts of Matthew just moments ago.

Nicolai glanced away from the heavens and quickly looked at his Commander, unable to hide the sympathy from his gaze as he hastily asked. “Are you prepared for this?”

Uncertain as to what the Magister was referring to, Matthew scratched his nose and cocked an inquisitive eyebrow. “…Milord?”

Nicolai laughed awkwardly, the sound of his falsified mirth clearly tense in the silence of the dawn, the strain of the past few days evident on his taut face. “The demands of our new lord and leader! Of course!”

He cut his laughter short and stared hard at Matthew, an unhidden anger evident in his eyes. “I called for you this morning before our esteemed High Magister had a mind to. You will not repeat these words!” He took a deep breath and kept his gaze fixed firmly on the young Commander. “Under the guise of that childlike exterior, we are under the complete control of an absolute mad man… only the Gods can help us now! I am the authority over you and your company, it is only fair that you have time to ingest this miserable truth before you encounter the man yourself. And do not think for a second that you won’t meet him.”

Looking towards the heavens once more, Nicolai sighed, a despairing tone to his voice. “It will be sooner than you know.”

Matthew subconsciously ran his fingers through his hair, no longer feeling the need to be as well-presented as he originally intended, as Nicolai continued to absent-mindedly speak his thoughts. “The man actually believes that the renegade outfit on the mainland is a threat to us! Oh yes, they exist. And yes, my dear Lena had infiltrated them. Though only the Gods know what she was thinking actually allowing herself to be brainwashed by their beliefs. They are nothing! A few dissatisfied farmers and villagers. Our esteemed leader professes an entire secret army is establishing itself down there! It’s entirely inconceivable!”

He whipped himself around to face Matthew, robes swirling about him, a fire burning clearly within the darkness of his pained eyes. “Can you do it!? I demand to know! Can you and your company ride your horses to the mainland? Can you murder innocent non-combatants?”

Matthew stared at his superior, eye to eye, a rush of unintelligible thoughts trying and failing to make sense of everything within his mind before he awkwardly averted his gaze. “I will perform my duties as required by our High Magister Caelin, I am a loyal servant of Fandriel.” He whispered, his eyes fixed to the stone beneath his feet.

Nicolai smirked grimly, no whit of humour evident in his grimace. “You should practice that sentence, boy. For when you say those words to Caelin… you will be required to believe them.”

There was an uneasy silence for several long minutes between the two men, both lost in their own thoughts as the morning sky began to brighten; the silence eventually broken by the frenzied whinnying of the nearby steed. Nicolai smiled darkly at Matthew. “Mage blood has been spilt. Best go about your work, but do not forget our dialogue this morn.”

Lord Magister Nicolai turned about sharply and strode towards the castle, leaving Matthew at the stables staring after him and feeling unsettled. He couldn’t possibly… of course he could! Absent-mindedly he stroked the horse’s mane as the beast began to dance wildly beneath his hand, glancing up at the Aethya once more. No longer feeling peaceful at the sight of the heavens above him, he made a silent yet simple plea to the Gods who resided within. Johne, Esraelle, Xander… please… stop this. He closed his eyes briefly, trying to filter away the distress that was trying to surface, ultimately failing until he mounted the obsidian steed. The air of authority rising within him as he sat high in the saddle, the guise of a fierce and loyal horseman of the Obsidian armies taking over the persona of the simple man who had stood there once before.

Kicking his heels into the horse’s sides, the conversation between himself and his lord faded away into the recesses of his mind; there was work to be done.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: kaelci

You know how I love your writing right? Your just awesome.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Thank you
your words are always appreciated!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Wow! Ok, you're a famous author right? Man, that was amazing! Would love to see you in the shed thread. We are currently in The Shed 3, soon to be on our 4th incarnation. It is mostly chit chat with story telling in between. Anyway, kudos! Love your writing style!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Hey, didn't you just post a pic of yourself? You're a lovely young woman and I thought from your avatar that you were a guy. LOL

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   

It's 10:41 pm here in Califorina Tuesday night! What time is it there. Your halfway around the world from me! LOL

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Haha!! No, I'm of the feminine persuasion!
The avatar exists to fool you all!

But thank you so much for your words, no, I'm not a famous author, but a girl can dream! One day! Exclamation marks!!! I will admit that I have popped in and out of The Shed at times, but have been too timid to say anything, everyone seems to know one another and I didn't want to interrupt.
But now that I have an invitation... I just might have to pop on in at some point

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Currently 3:50pm Wednesday afternoon here on the east coast of Australia

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   

I gave her my email. She sent me a few chapters of her book. They blew my mind away. She is a amazing writer like you. I thought she was a boy too lol.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Scroll down and you'll see her on this page. Quite the cutie!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Wait I saw Tom, yes she is a hottie! Your smart and beautiful. I wish you the best in life. You too Night Star! You are a star!
edit on 3 30 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star and Quantum12

I'll just be over here, blushing madly before starting tonight's dinner!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   

I will admit that I have popped in and out of The Shed at times, but have been too timid to say anything, everyone seems to know one another and I didn't want to interrupt.
But now that I have an invitation... I just might have to pop on in at some point.

Interrupt? OMG! Please do! We love new people popping in! They become like family right away. LOL We are a very loving, compassionate, kind, crazy and fun loving group. Our pages are filled with both serious and silly stuff and everything in between. Many people have hesitated before joining and now all I hear is how The Shed is their safe haven and how grateful they are that they joined. Don't want you to feel pressured or anything, but yes, do consider joining in! And a few of us write in a story there.

Anyone can join at any time, no invitation needed.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12

Wait I saw Tom, yes she is a hottie! Your smart and beautiful. I wish you the best in life. You too Night Star! You are a star!

Awwwww, soooo sweet! Tom belongs to the shed and he writes in the story with me. Not everyone there writes in the story, they just go to chit chat. Join us!

Sorry, to be off topic. Kaelci, you really are a fabulous writer!!!!!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   

LOL
You have a great day lol
edit on 3 30 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   

No need to be sorry
Thank you so much!

I look forward to joining you and everyone in The Shed at some point, I'm sad that there's no emoticon that expresses the ^____^ face! Haha! That is totally my face right now. I'll just stick with a bunch of smiley faces

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   

LOL! Look forward to seeing you there!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:42 AM
link   

I wish i was as good as you!

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: sosruko

I like the new screen name and photo! Where have you been