It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bush Calls For Increased High School Testing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Speaking at J.E.B Stuart High School, President Bush said that he is pushing for increased testing in High School students. He is looking for High School students to be required to take Math and Reading tests that are now taken by younger students. He wants to require children to be tested every year from grades 3 - 11. Looking forward to the job opportunities which will be available in the 21st century, Bush stated that he felt strongly that this new testing policy will help to ensure the employability of the nations children. He also claimed that this new plan will make sure that a High School diploma "not merely a sign of endurance, but the mark of a young person ready to succeed.". He also wants $250 million to be given to states, which will require the 12th grade National Assessment of Education Progress be given in all 50 states.

www.cnn.com
FALLS CHURCH, Virginia (AP) -- President Bush on Wednesday began his push to require high school students to take the math and reading tests now required of younger students under the No Child Left Behind law, the most ambitious item on the president's slate of second-term education proposals.

"Testing is important," Bush said at J.E.B. Stuart High School in this Washington suburb. "Testing at high school levels will help us become more competitive as the years go by. Testing in high schools will make sure that our children are employable for the jobs of the 21st century. ... Testing will make sure the diploma is not merely a sign of endurance, but the mark of a young person ready to succeed."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I applaud President Bush for this initiative. Anything that helps our children is a good thing. I have said for years now, that the American Children are falling farther below the children of other nations in education, and employability.
Take a look at the fields which require "higher education" and the majority of these jobs are taken by those of foreign nationality.

While this is just what I consider to be a first step, but it is a very important step. As the father of young children, I support this initiative fully. My only complaint is that I think that $250 million is a drop in the bucket for all that is needed

[edit on 12-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
250 million works out to 130 dollars per school district. Don't youk someone in Bush's group should know that---maybe not.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   

250 million works out to 130 dollars per school district. Don't youk someone in Bush's group should know that---maybe not.

Like I said that was absolutely my only complaint. $250 billion to blow up sand dunes, and $130.00 per school district. It is a start, but $130.00 doesn't do anything for a district. I don't think that would fill the tanks of the school buses.
Overall a good initiative though.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by superdude
He also claimed that this new plan will make sure that a High School diploma "not merely a sign of endurance, but the mark of a young person ready to succeed."

That type of thinking is exactly why I voted for him. Good Job!

Yeah, I'm sure it is just a drop in the bucket, but every drop counts. It's a start.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

That type of thinking is exactly why I voted for him. Good Job!

Yeah, I'm sure it is just a drop in the bucket, but every drop counts. It's a start.

I've gone on record many times as being a Bush non-supporter. I don't bash him, but I certainly am not a fan. This is a very good thing, and I respect him for it. I hope more thinking along these lines is in the near future.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I am all for education, however I think this money could be better used to help employ teachers and ensure that the schools stay open for the entire year. The tests will show that many of the students aren't getting the kind of education they should be. And as said already 250 million does nothing for the overall education system, we need billions to help get the schools back into shape.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

And as said already 250 million does nothing for the overall education system, we need billions to help get the schools back into shape

Yep, I agree. I would LOVE to see 10% of the cost of the war in Iraq going towards schools, and education. Children are our greatest resource, and we should do everything possible to cultivate their futures.
These kids who graduate and can't read - very sad.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sigma
I am all for education, however I think this money could be better used to help employ teachers ...we need billions to help get the schools back into shape.

Agreed - too often teachers are underpaid - there's no money for textbooks, support materials and other necessities.

Also, IMO - the testing is used too often to label and target negatively - not to help students, but to provide "proof" that they aren't worthy of help - don't forget, most testing has its roots in eugenics.

Better to teach IMO, than to test, and put some money where it can be used to benefit kids, not label them.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Better to teach IMO, than to test, and put some money where it can be used to benefit kids, not label them.

Valid point, however i feel that the testing is necessary, as many teachers teach, no matter how good they are as teachers, yet don't get through to certain students. The student may be too shy, or just not care enough to let the teacher know. Testing is one of the best ways to make sure that students are learning, and can also focus on problem areas for certain students.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
First of all is not money so he is just painting a nice picture, second testing in high school will only bring more drop outs, if you don't fix the problem in the lower levers do you thing high school years is going to do it/

And as right now the school have not money to even start with this new proposals.

Just like his last four year promises is going to go to the back burner, we can not even provide for lunches to all the children that needed because is not funds.

Bottom line is not money.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Just like his last four year promises is going to go to the back burner, we can not even provide for lunches to all the children that needed because is not funds.

Isn't that sad? Not only no access to lunches, but no access to computers - very sad, and SOOOO fixable.
Marg you are/were a teacher I believe correct?
What do you think is the best way to fix things? Mandatory testing from 1st grade?
Interesting you said that you felt that testing would increase drop outs. Why do you say that?

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I tell you why, I have seen first hand the rate of drops out on high school, once a child turn 16 and he is in the lowest ranking percentage, he will not be considered for grants to pursue higher education most of the time these children are from poor families in wealth fare.

At age 16 a child can drop out of high school but he will not get a license, so if he is to work he can not drive.

Most of them will no get a GED, but will wait until he is an adult to get a diploma.

Testing in high school is only going to make students that are borderline more prone to drop out and the only ones that benefit will be the ones that are in the higher percentage and that is just but a smaller portion.

All these testing without fixing the problems that usually starts with the lower grades is going to make more harm than good, specially on states like the south that has very high percentage of drop outs in the nation.

I forgot Spanish have one of the highest.

[edit on 12-1-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Agreed - too often teachers are underpaid - there's no money for textbooks, support materials and other necessities.

Also, IMO - the testing is used too often to label and target negatively - not to help students, but to provide "proof" that they aren't worthy of help - don't forget, most testing has its roots in eugenics.

The local school districts are responsible for a large part of the school funding. That's where a big chunk of our property taxes go. Not to say that the federal gov't should not kick in, but we have to look long term here, and realize that a growing number of Americans want tax reform, and so ther may not be as many federal dollars to go around in the future.

Also, testing has it's good points. You need feedback to see if you're being successful. How else do we measure the students' progress? But I agree, you can't just jump in at grade 11 or 12 and measure somone who didn't even know he was going to be tested. That's unfair.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

But I agree, you can't just jump in at grade 11 or 12 and measure somone who didn't even know he was going to be tested. That's unfair.

Very much agreed! But the initiative Dubya is talking about will start testing in grade 3.
Marg, seriously as a teacher I would love to hear what you think would be a good idea. I have very young children who don't start school for another year, and i want nothing but the best for them. What would you like to see happen for schools overall?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by superdude

Marg, seriously as a teacher I would love to hear what you think would be a good idea. I have very young children who don't start school for another year, and i want nothing but the best for them. What would you like to see happen for schools overall?

Personally if I was you I do the educating at home. I have seen children home school that do better in college.

Also if you decide to keep them in public school make sure you complement their education with more information for them to get at home, also make sure you know the teachers and make sure you know what they are telling your kids at school usually personal opinion does impact their learning.

In my opinion the whole Educational systems is outdated and in need of a overall reform not a patch to make it better like a band-aid.

The more you get involved on your children school supervise their learning the better you will be, never be afraid to question the teachers work, and if you don't like a particular teacher or the way she is teaching your kids, you have the choice to change teachers regardless of what the school tells you.

Make sure you paid a visit to your school district once in a while and meet your school board officials.

Again if you can afford to educate your kids at home do so.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   

In my opinion the whole Educational systems is outdated and in need of a overall reform not a patch to make it better like a band-aid.

The more you get involved on your children school supervise their learning the better you will be, never be afraid to question the teachers work, and if you don't like a particular teacher or the way she is teaching your kids, you have the choice to change teachers regardless of what the school tells you.

Thanx for getting back Marg,
Trust me I will absolutely be involved in their education, no doubt. I was shocked to hear you support home schooling. Around here that is sort of a taboo subject. Two questions for you.
1) If home schooled, wouldn't that impair social skills, and interactivity with peers?
2) If you were the supreme ruler and could accomplish whatever you wanted in the world of schooling, what would you do to fix the problems?

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I know many children that are home school and they enjoy the same type of interaction as any other kids with their peers through social programs like church, sports and clubs.

Is not reason as why a child that is home school has to stay away from any other social interaction.

I know you will do the best for your kids, well care children bring good and productive adults in society.

I am proud of my children so far they are what I hoped for.

top topics

join