It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Arrested as ‘Third Bomber’ in Brussels Attack Is Freed; Hunt Is Renewed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
It appears that the one suspect that was in custody, is now released back into the wild.

Fayçal Cheffou was taken into custody, and later released.

Although the official story is somewhat shakey, Cheffou was Vilified as “an extremist jihadi horror”.... is this just bass ackwards, or did they let the wrong man walk? Me smells stink....

What says ATS?

BRUSSELS — A noisy citizen journalist who reveled in verbal and physical fights in public spaces, Fayçal Cheffou never quite fit the profile of a furtive underground operative for the Islamic State. Yet that was the role assigned to him when the Belgian authorities announced that he had been charged with terrorism and the Belgian news media identified him as the “third bomber” at Brussels Airport in last Tuesday’s attacks.

Mr. Cheffou’s arrest last week, curiously easy as he was picked up right outside the federal prosecutor’s office, signaled a big break for a Belgian security apparatus assailed by complaints that it had missed vital clues before the terrorist assault at the airport and a subway station.

Now it looks as if the police got the wrong man, or at least lacked enough evidence to hold him. Mr. Cheffou was released on Monday.

Vilified as “an extremist jihadi horror” early on Monday by a senior Belgian official, Mr. Cheffou was freed just a few hours later with the authorities acknowledging that the evidence against a man they had charged with terrorism and murder was not as strong as they had thought. This suggested that Mr. Cheffou had been mistakenly identified by a witness as the bomber in a dark hat and white coat in an airport surveillance photo.

stinky linky
edit on 28-3-2016 by ReadLeader because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

It seems like one can throw a lawn dart in certain parts of Belgium, and it will peg a “an extremist jihadi horror”. The raids were a good start in bringing in those who embrace the "convert or die" mentality.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
What says ATS?

I would say this is good news.

The guy seems like a bad apple as it is, being "A noisy citizen journalist who reveled in verbal and physical fights in public spaces", but I would still rather an innocent bad apple be freed from wrongful accusion than a hunt discontinue for the real suspect.

At least now that he's been tagged for this, they'll have a close eye on him if further evidence supports their initial claim

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Oops, accidentally arrested one of the black ops "helpers" instead of the patsies. Sorry, on your way....

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   
"Funny", a buddy called me instantly when he heared that they had "the wrong guy". Because i told him before that exactly this will happen, Maybe i should play lotto?

Same for the arrested terror suspects in germany after brussels, all of them are free again, no evidence for anything.

And i bet, there will be ever any suspect on the run and they never will catch him(or if, they are aware of new ones to search for now), so bigbrother can keep it´s mass surveillance policy ongoing, and excuse everything with:

It´s for the "war on terror"...

It´s like with this alpha/early access games, even after more than two years in alpha, every not fixed bug and every problem is excused with:

But it`s still in alpha...

edit on 29 3 2016 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I don't believe anything I read these days, such a cynic. I predict that should there be another attack, suspects will get away, potential suspects will be freed and investigations will prolong into the foreseeable future.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Seems to me they got the wrong man and they let him go when they realized it wasn't him.
Love the character assassination the NYtimes has attempted there though, very thorough!

Apparently now just being a noisy nuisance and merely accused of something despicable is reason enough to lock you up as a terrorist and stop searching for the real criminals...

Here's how it works guys... you need EVIDENCE to charge someone with a crime. Have we all understood this by now? I mean, most people over the age of 10 do get this, right?

If the evidence is not there, then they cannot hold him for a crime they cannot prove he committed. In fact, this goes beyond not being able to prove he was there, it suggests they can't even link him to the event and there's no actual reason to suspect him of involvement. You can hold people on reasonable suspicion of involvement, and if he's been released then it seems they don't even have that cause to suspect him.

Of course they need to be watching him extremely closely, and they will be. While he was in detention they would have been going through his property planting listening devices, tapping all his electronics, installing tracking devices.

Now he's on the radar he's going to be watched very carefully.

But people, please get some common sense and realize that we have a legal system for a reason, regardless of the crime you cannot start rounding up anyone with a dodgy past or a "foreign name" and accuse them of terrorism.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Oh, and I was going to start another thread on this but I can predict it will spiral into a Trump thread within an hour, so why bother. I'll just mention my theory here instead...

No one seems to be talking about this, but it seems to me that there are handlers involved here:

Abdeslam supposedly "backed out" of his attack in Paris and fled home. This is a man dedicated to his deluded cause, a man who is willing to see his own brother die for that cause, and we're supposed to believe he "backed out"? He didn't back out, he didn't have second thoughts, he was a handler whose job was to get everyone in place to kill as many as possible and themselves while he ran away, to another cell - rinse and repeat.

Why do I think this? Because all of these attacks had the same pattern of one changing their mind or something going wrong. Even in other attacks before these there are instances of one "changing their mind" or "something goes wrong".

Then we have the Airport, where 2 were successful (with detonators supposedly in their hands) while a third "failed". Is it a coincidence that he was the only one with a disguise? He didn't fail at all, he never planned to kill himself there. His job was to get the two low IQ murderers in there and then run away, to another cell, where he would claim that "something went wrong" and he needed to act again, with them.

Then we have the metro, where there is evidence that another person fled the scene after leading the killer down there. Who is he? Where is he? Why have we not seen any video evidence of that person?

All of these people, in my opinion, have been picked out by IS as being more driven as leaders, it's their job to convince the low IQ suicide bombers to act, while they claim something "went wrong" and head to another cell, they feed the new cell a line about something going wrong and convince that new cell (without previous strong leadership) to act.

I said before that I believe they are underestimating Abdeslam. That doesn't mean I think he's some kind of criminal mastermind, it just means that his position within a bunch of low IQ religious freaks makes him one of the most intelligent, along with being incredibly devious, deranged and dangerous.

The only explanation for Abdeslam going silent after the attacks, in my opinion, is that he knew it was coming and the statement about him talking and fighting extradition was a signal to others to act. Why else would he be cooperative (if he was) and then suddenly fall silent?

They really need to locate the remaining two who escaped these attacks, because in my opinion they're not just terrorists who f-ed up or changed their mind, they're assets moving people around and putting them in place to act.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I doubt that the third guy in the image is a terrorist. Dont forget this the same news media that told us that rebels are moderates in Syria.

I no longer watch TV anymore.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
sounds like belgium needs to enact a patriot act

join