It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crap public holidays...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
So it's been a 4 day weekend for many people here in the UK, and just the same as last year it rained, badly.
I'm self employed so I have worked a few hours here and there, and living in a tourist area many people I know have worked overtime, serving the tourists.

It's those tourists I'm ranting for, they spend a fortune on overpriced hotels, expecting a nice long weekend at the beach with their kids and nope, it's umbrella's and raincoats. Oh there are of course lots of 'indoor' attractions, but they are expensive and just add to the cost for a family with a couple of kids. 8 hours on a sunny beach costs nothing more than a few ice-creams and some fish and chips, but no, the gods of miserable weather show up and ruin it, again!

Our public holidays in the UK really are crap, move them to June/July/August I say!!!

...saying that, the Easter weekend and school holidays does provide a massive injection of cash into the local economy, at a time of year when businesses are running low on last seasons takings, so yeah, keep it as it is.
I still feel sorry for all the miserable looking tourists I passed on my way back from the shop just now though.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
So it's been a 4 day weekend for many people here in the UK, and just the same as last year it rained, badly.
I'm self employed so I have worked a few hours here and there, and living in a tourist area many people I know have worked overtime, serving the tourists.

It's those tourists I'm ranting for, they spend a fortune on overpriced hotels, expecting a nice long weekend at the beach with their kids and nope, it's umbrella's and raincoats. Oh there are of course lots of 'indoor' attractions, but they are expensive and just add to the cost for a family with a couple of kids. 8 hours on a sunny beach costs nothing more than a few ice-creams and some fish and chips, but no, the gods of miserable weather show up and ruin it, again!

Our public holidays in the UK really are crap, move them to June/July/August I say!!!

...saying that, the Easter weekend and school holidays does provide a massive injection of cash into the local economy, at a time of year when businesses are running low on last seasons takings, so yeah, keep it as it is.
I still feel sorry for all the miserable looking tourists I passed on my way back from the shop just now though.

Easter is always a funny time weather wise for us Brits.

I remember the Easter holidays a few years ago, the first week we were on the beach in Poole making sand castles and the second week we were back home in the garden making a snowman.

It's true though, a pretty pointless time to have a bank holiday.

As for moving them we already have one in august but one in June and another in July would give a few long weekends that could be put to good use at the seaside.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Agreed.
Aside from pretty Daffodils I'd go so far as to say March is a crap month in general.
Kids have 2 weeks off school, why? To stay inside sheltering from the rain?!

...it is a good earner for the local economy though so I'm beginning to doubt myself again.
Maybe just ban the month of March, January and February can do one as well, they are pretty crap too.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
If we get lucky Queeny will peg it in the summer and we all get a day off for "mourning".
edit on 28-3-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
If we get lucky Queeny will peg it in the summer and we all get a day off for "mourning".

Lol, saying that though, did you hear the news? Our pubs are being allowed to extend their opening hours for her 90th birthday this year!

Imagine that, we are allowed to get pissed up late for her birthday, but not on a crap public holiday in March.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

It's her 90th birtday this year.

Apparently they are keeping the pubs open late as a thank you to us plebs.

It's just a shame that with all the tax on beer no bugger can afford to have a skinfull in the boozer any more...

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
We live in the U.K, it's March and yet people still think the weather may just be okay for a weekend away?

I've gone away twice in my life on an Easter weekend and both times, the weather has been crap.

Now then, does a Bear deficate in the woods?

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

So grey gloomy skies, poor beach weather and nothing to do but drink warm beer... Isn't that like, just a normal day over there in the motherland?

...lol.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
An enterprising person might be down on the beach flogging umbrellas and wellies.

Or a few flasks of nice hot Bovril.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

That's a fine summer's day here in the Motherland.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Lol, true!
Public holidays in March, ridiculous I say, and as Cobaltic says, so predictable with our crap weather.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Lol, true!
Public holidays in March, ridiculous I say, and as Cobaltic says, so predictable with our crap weather.

Having spent friday and today in a Children's Kidney Unit I'm happy to report the Sun has made an appearance this afternoon.

But, as previous posters have said, the weather it pretty crap over easter.

I went to a Wedding a #cough# few years ago in early April. The morning's photos before the ceremony were full of colour, flowers, trees, blue skies. Fast forward to the afternoon and we were in a mini blizzard.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

Sunny here now, just in time for everyone who is driving home again after the long weekend!
Yep, ban Spring bank holidays, and ban the month of March generally I say.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
for once in scotland where i am was fine,probably have to wait for next 200 years for that to be the case again,as for pubs opening later for queens 90th?it just means up here that they can do it legally for a change.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: sparky31

Lol about the weather line, and also the ignored licensing laws!
Same here, just the blinds go down the windows so as not to take the piss out of the police too much.

top topics

join