It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Las Vegas Trip

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Hello all,

This is my first time posting a thread on here so bear with me and I apologize if this isn't the proper area for this post.

This upcoming Saturday and Sunday, I am planning a trip to go sight seeing around Nellis, Creech and Area 51. I was hoping some of you would be willing to help out with the best places to go for viewing spots. I am also taking suggestions for other places to check out while in the Vegas area.

Right now I am planning on hiking up Tikaboo on Saturday but I don't really have a schedule for Nellis or Creech yet. I'm hoping to see something interesting on this little trip so if anyone would be willing to give me some clues on where and when to see these...well, that would be awesome.

Thanks
edit on CDTth3120162016p2488 by TStoops88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TStoops88

Nellis, make sure you stay on the Las Vegas Motorspeedway side of the road, if you're down by that end of the base. The side by the fence is base property, and they can and will come talk to you. If you're on the other side, they'll ignore you and you can take whatever pictures you want.

Creech, there's a parking area near the base you can stop and and look right over the flightline.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Don't waste your time they just train pilots on new tech in Vegas.

I know my squadron was the one training them all the time.

There's other bases we should be worried about.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Sometimes people just like to go watch the different types of planes, and see new things flying. It's not always about catching black projects, or something like that.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Blow past all the signs go hard dude!
Then hopefully you can come back and tell us about a real adventure...

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yeah, I pretty much just want to go watch different military aircraft. All we have back home are F-16's. With that being said though, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a black project.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   

You'll see F-35s at Nellis, along with the usual suspects. I wouldn't count on seeing any black projects though. You'd have to get really really lucky.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Las Vegas local here. If you love beautiful sights, make a trip to the Valley of Fire in Overton. Absolutely worth it, amazingly beautiful. Looks like Mars.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Don't waste your time they just train pilots on new tech in Vegas.

I know my squadron was the one training them all the time.

There's other bases we should be worried about.

Not to derail the thread but...what bases are a worry?

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   

The USAF purchased the private land next to the Creech. I'm not sure what parking lot you are referring to, but there is nothing next to Creech. You are free to park on the other side of the highway. Take Cold Creek Road towards the prison and you can view the airspace.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   

inplanesight.org...

The route to Tikaboo is on the page link above.

It is too early to hike Tikaboo in my opinion. Expect snow in places.
Tikaboo weather

You need a vehicle with high clearance to do the Tikaboo drive. It doesn't have to be 4WD, but that doesn't hurt. I do the last bit of the drive in low range.

You really shouldn't do Tikaboo alone on your first hike.

Note there will be few flights to Groom on a Saturday. It is unlikely to see a 737. You might see a Beech.

To really get a handle on Groom Lake, you need to get the frequencies. At least the tower and approach. Oh, and they aren't published, so you need to scan for a few hours to sleuth them.

Consider viewing the TTR. The drive to Brainwash is about as long as the drive to Tikaboo, but it is not nearly as rugged. The distance from Brainwash to the base is about 14 miles, which makes for easier observation. Bull the activity takes place during the week. And Tonopah is even colder than Tikaboo.

I was on the range a few years ago with NPR in April and it was snowing. I loaned him my jacket since he was totally unprepared for how cold it gets in Central Nevada. (The audio never aired.) That trip, they did GPS jamming so I was guiding from memory. My point is you need to assume a GPS won't work, though that is rare.

edit on 28-3-2016 by gariac because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Red rock canyon. No aliens but glyphs on the canyon walls from thousands of years ago. Lots of oh wow moments.

Hey I heard that the strip offers a few diversionary past times too.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: gariac

There was a rest area type parking lot when we went by last summer. It's not the best view but you can see the base from it.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

There was a rest area type parking lot when we went by last summer. It's not the best view but you can see the base from it.

Can you spot it on Google Earth?

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

We were there the second week of Dec. Driving by creech it seemed impossible to even slow down. They had barriers up, lots of orange no stopping or standing and white security looking suvs with men in fatiuges standing at the back of them.
Not sure if that is the norm for that part of 95.
Nellis was AMAZING, we sat on the south east side of the runway on Cheyenne. We were by the junkyard, probably spent a good two days there and never had any issue with the people from the junkyark, we could park a little further back and when they closed we moved up to the fence of the junkyard.
Saw two B-2s take off to the south east on Thursday, very eerie looking at night, we said "what the hell is that" prior to it passing over us, very loud as well.
We also were very lucky to see USAFWS Class 14B (I think) exercises. Saw about 25 or so planes taking off Saturday and Sunday night.
Will upload some pics of where we were sitting later tonight
edit on 3231193201631America/ChicagoMon, 28 Mar 2016 15:32:19 -0500Mon, 28 Mar 2016 15:32:19 -050032 by nepatitan because: (no reason given)

edit on 3431073201631America/ChicagoMon, 28 Mar 2016 15:34:07 -0500Mon, 28 Mar 2016 15:34:07 -050034 by nepatitan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: nepatitan

It was last summer when we went by, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's changed.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

You get a lot of belly shots at the junkyard, but the planes are very close. I shoot with a 400mm prime, and often it is touch focal length.

Conversely, you need 400mm for shots over the base when at the speedway. Now sometimes the planes arc over the speedway, so you can get some good shots.

When nature calls or you need a break, there is a truck stop on Hollywood Blvd.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Regarding Creech, it might have been involved in "mission employment phase", or whatever they call weapons school graduation these days. Weapons school runs on a six month schedule. Graduation occurs in the first two weeks of the sixth month, hence the first two weeks of June and the first two weeks of December. It is like a mini Red Flag.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Not on my phone. It was slightly West of the base, past the actual base, but I don't remember just how far past it. Close enough you could see them taking off.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
West of the base would be on the other side of 95. That is certainly kosher.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join