It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superior vermian volume loss in a non-alcoholic adult without ataxia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I've done some looking online, but I figured in addition to going through doctors and all of that, I'd ask some random strangers online because... why not?

So, a family member recently had a fall, and as a precaution CTs were done to check for hematoma, fracture, concussion, etc. All was fine (though they did suspect a mild concussion regardless,) however in both imaging studies they also found significant vermian volume loss. Significant enough to consult them about possible alcoholism, as heavy alcohol abuse is the most common cause of this finding.

The person in question has never abused alcohol. They drank a bit in their youth, but never to excess, and stopped at age 25. They're in their 60s now. While some vermian volume loss can also be normal for age, this is a new finding compared against MRIs for chronic migraine ten years ago, and it's significant enough that they do not feel it's appropriate for age.

People can have congenital vermian volume abnormalities, which would present as ataxia. She never had ataxia as a child, or ever, however following this fall, on a neurophysical exam (reflexes, balance, bilateral symmetry of motion, coordination, etc.) everything was normal, except for a very mild, possible gait abnormality, when walking a straight line at full speed. She feels unable to balance and veers to the right unless moving very slowly. This too is a new symptom never present before, and does not appear to be a consequence of the fall.

So... that leaves exposure to some sort of toxin, and adult onset cerebellar ataxia (which does happen - could be genetic, yes?)

Now, there is an additional wrinkle here. I've had elevated liver enzymes since we lived here. It was assumed this was due to my gallbladder being removed or simply genetic, since repeated studies show no abnormalities or disease processes in my liver. However, given these findings in said family member, they also want to look at my brain and see if I have similar loss.

So, tinfoil hats (sort of) on guys:

Does anyone know what kinds of toxins, pollutants, or other causative agents might be responsible for sufficient toxicity to cause brain abnormalities of this nature and elevated liver enzymes? It's entirely possible they will rule this out incidentally and that there is no link whatsoever (I expect that result frankly.) But I AM curious, and in addition to doing my own research and both of us undergoing a battery of tests, I thought I'd ask the ATS hive mind what they might think too, just to maximize the chance of any insights.

Thanks to anyone with any pertinent information or thoughts!

Peace.

join