It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ben Affleck explains how 'Batman v Superman' reflects current politics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I wanted to watch this movie, and now I am not so sure. This is an odd question to be asking since we all know who has been in charge for the last eight years, and they sure didn't mind all that power with no one checking it until 2010 came along. After a majority of people in this country got sick and tired of a group of people having too much power. They elected the party of no.

What happens when one person has just too much power and there is no one checking that power?

It's hard when watching the movie, which has a major political storyline involving senate hearings questioning Superman's actions and a senator played by Holly Hunter, not to think about the current political landscape and the 2016 presidential election. And audience members aren't the only ones with the political in mind.

I wonder who they are referring to?

Why do movies have to have political overtones,or with undertones?

Especially a comic book superhero, and particularly this one that sets up hero against hero?

Is this code speak for Clinton versus Sanders ?

'Batman' against 'Superman' ?

Funny saying absolute power corrupts absolutely with all the corruption surrounding the primary races, and the 'protesting' that has been going on.

Irony or is it hypocrisy? I think the word is. That hollywood, and the left like to point out how 'flawed' super heroes 'are', but act like their politicians are 'perfect'.

I had my reservations about this movie, and now after this article. I just may not watch it.
edit on 24-3-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
It's a movie.

What relevance Batman and Superman have to Bernie and Hilary is beyond me.

I'm going to go off on a limb, and say you know nothing regarding the film adaptation of a CLASSIC comic book storyline.

"Irony or is it hypocrisy? I think the word is. That hollywood, and the left like to point out how 'flawed' super heroes 'are', but act like their politicians are 'perfect'."

What does this even mean? That Hollywood is controlled by Democrats, and - what?

Batman v. Superman - "is this code for Bernie v Hilary"

WTF

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
They probably consulted with Washington on it.

It's part of NDAA's propaganda war directed at our own citizens.

Speaking of that, you know Steven Spielberg is working on 'Obama's Legacy'......no propaganda there!!

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

What does this even mean? That Hollywood is controlled by Democrats, and - what?

Yep it is.

That's why tv shows like The Good Wife, and Boston Legal paint the left as heroes, and we sure can't forget about the political hackery of Battle Star Galactica that was ripped from the W administration.

ETA:

Madam Secretary.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Yep it is.

That's why tv shows like The Good Wife, and Boston Legal paint the left as heroes, and we sure can't forget about the political hackery of Battle Star Galactica that was ripped from the W administration.

neo...you have a good eye and a good ear.....you know what I mean?

What do you think of the Netflix series, House of Cards?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

I watched a few episodes of it, and stopped.

Same deal.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Man here i was hoping that this was going to be a good movie, why do they need to add politics to a god damn super hero movie.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Money = politics

It's a marriage.

Hollywood happens to be one of the richest industries in the world.

Billions of dollars float around, get spent, and are recovered from the citizens spending their pocket dollar for that slice of "entertainment".

Hollywood has its masters. Money like that, floating around, is owned and watched from the faceless who do not show themselves...

They sure want their version and agenda put in said films and music though.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I was under the impression the movie took a lot from "The Dark Knight Returns" which was required reading in my intro to political thought class last semester (right beside Locke and Hobbes).

Interesting reading (#%*! illustration) and an eye opener to a new comer to the subject matter while still providing "meat" to anyone that wants to find it.

I can't see how they are getting Clinton vs Bernie out of it but I'll have to see the film I guess (artistic license goes a long way).

Life was so much simpler when we didn't need safe places and movies gave us a "good guy" to root for. Now everything has to have a slant while still toeing a line. I honestly fear for our future some days.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Based on what I've read about the movie in advance, I'd say it is a total parallel to current politics.....

1. They spent way more money than they needed to on it
2. They apparently have focused on special effects and one-liners instead of a detailed plot
3. They have left many key issues unresolved and left it for the next installment to deal with
edit on 24-3-2016 by Slave2theTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

It's hard when watching the movie, which has a major political storyline involving senate hearings questioning Superman's actions and a senator played by Holly Hunter, not to think about the current political landscape and the 2016 presidential election. And audience members aren't the only ones with the political in mind.

What else could he be talking about ?

Affleck is no Trump or Cruz fan.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

From the article you posted:

"I don’t see this movie as overtly political," Affleck made clear when we spoke to him on the red carpet. "I think that would be a mistake. I don’t think you want to get pedantic with a movie like this. I think that’s dangerous."

You should listen to Ben Affleck. He's a cool guy.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I hate when either books or movies involve real world politics or events in them. For me I really enjoy pure fantasy and adventure when it comes to storytelling. And not inserting too much of the "real world" in a movie.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
an old thread discusses the links between Sony and the White House about a movie....

White House / Sony Conspiracy ? What !!

CLASSIFIED!

(Reuters) - Moviemakers producing a film about the U.S. special forces raid that killed Osama bin Laden are getting help from the Pentagon, but the Obama administration dismissed concerns on Wednesday that classified information has been divulged.

The film, focusing on one of President Barack Obama's key successes in office, is due to be released in October 2012, less than a month before the election in which the Democrat is seeking a second term.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Pinke

He also said this.

But he did note that while it's a not a "political movie," it does bring up very thought-provoking political themes

That's classic 'liberalism' trying to have it both ways.

Either it is or isn't.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
an old thread discusses the links between Sony and the White House about a movie....

White House / Sony Conspiracy ? What !!

CLASSIFIED!

(Reuters) - Moviemakers producing a film about the U.S. special forces raid that killed Osama bin Laden are getting help from the Pentagon, but the Obama administration dismissed concerns on Wednesday that classified information has been divulged.

The film, focusing on one of President Barack Obama's key successes in office, is due to be released in October 2012, less than a month before the election in which the Democrat is seeking a second term.

And then....Sony was conveniently hacked into a couple of years later! Sensitive classified information retrieved?! No need to meet in some clandestine way in the dark and hand over top secret classified documents. Hack into a foundation's computer, a crony company's computer, easy peasy and nobody can accuse you of selling out anything! 21st century espionage.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Batman v Superman is symbolic of humanities war against God, not modern political affairs.

Ben Affleck is a freaking idiot & ruins every movie he's affiliated with.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigScaryStrawman
Batman v Superman is symbolic of humanities war against God, not modern political affairs.

Ben Affleck is a freaking idiot & ruins every movie he's affiliated with.

Dare Devil sure sucked.

Odds are it will.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

originally posted by: neo96

Yep it is.

neo...you have a good eye and a good ear.....you know what I mean?

What do you think of the Netflix series, House of Cards?

I can't believe I almost forgot these most notable examples.

The Aliens Anthology- Corporation are evil.

Avatar- Corporations are evil again with a splash of 'save the environment'

Day After tomorrow more 'save the environment' with a splash of illegal immigration thrown in the mix.

2012 again with the 'save the environment' with the last refuge of man is Africa!

And Elysium 'free' healthcare, and illegal immigration thrown in, and the evil one percent!. By Affleck Cohort Damen.

And Damens latest one 'organic' potatoes on Mars movie.

Hollywood is infested.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I would watch it if any other actor replaced Skeez Affleck.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join