It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here Be Dragons...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

SLAYER69...your post is amazing...thank you...

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Dear sir, the effort is well done and much appreciated!

Of course it is true that the development of bark-covered plants allowed created a more oxygen rich environment allowing creatures in general to grow to greater size, and conversely when levels lessen creatures will shrink. But the general theory is that oxygen saturation does not create large animals - rather it allows evolution to produce larger animals. Cold blood as well requires less energy and thus less oxygen, thus allowing larger creatures. But then again the notion that all dinosaurs were cold blooded is debated.

So, it is possible that modern "dinosaurs" exist in albeit smaller stature.

However, this poses problems. Dinosaurs, lizards I could imagine being feathered, changing over time to birds. But snakes make little sense. Feathers would be detrimental to any movement, prevent it from squeezing into small spaces, make them easier targets. If snakes needed to fly I imagine they would have more practical machinery, like the extant Gliding Snake. Herodotus noted that people claimed "fiery flying serpents" had bat-like wings. Yet he never witnessed them himself.

In your theory the South and Central American civilizations worshiped literal feathered serpents. One would expect these serpent bones in the temples, similar to Apis bull worship. One would expect depictions of them with priests, or people of high class. Verbal tales of literal epic captures of the creatures. Instead the tales make gods seem very human and emphasize duality. Notice how serpents were often depicted with human faces:

Quetzalcoatl was the god who gave corn to mankind, and Lord of the Dawn Star - connected with Venus. These are intertwined, due to the fact that Venus signifies farming season. Quetzalcoatl was also depicted as a human - so I cant fathom his visage being based on a simple dinosaur.

Though I doubt the feathered serpent gods were based off of real dinosaurs, I don't doubt that dragons of some sort made their way past extinction. I imagine our vast oceans as the most likely place to spot one.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

ive looked into so many conspiracys and theories on where we came from and the truth about this world, ive felt from a young age that things aren't quite right, it hasnt been till i stumbled upon the ancient gnostics teachings on archons that i finally found a theories that all others fit into perfectly, i will never believe anything 100% but this one ticks more boxes than all the rest in my opinion. heres some links if care to look over them.

freedom-articles.toolsforfreedom.com...
www.metahistory.org...
www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

what baffles me is the texts revealing inorganic beings within our solar system that supposedly feed of the negative energies of usand look like reptiles and greys ............... are 2000 years old and a lot of people died to hide this information..... until now.

we have nothing to fear but fear itself.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The Sirrush was a scaled dragon-like serpent that was worshipped in the temple dedicated to Bel way back in ancient Sumeria. There are stories in the Book of Daniel of it being captured and kept imprisoned in the ancient city of Babylon. One can only speculate if this was in fact a real dinosaur-like creature that was rare enough to be worshipped back in ancient times and extinct now.

At the same time in Babylon, there existed a terrible dragon revered and honored in Babylon. Nebuchadnezzar called Daniel to answer for his lack of deference towards a living deity. Daniel asked permission to defeat the dragon.
More info here.

Still, dragons are mostly symbolic. Take the dragons Tiamat and Apsu which are the salt & sweet waters; is it not those waters that the Biblical God is created from and His Spirit floats over in Genesis 1:2, I ask? Babylonian texts say all gods were created from this mix of the waters, and the biblical God claims He was the first.

-MM
edit on 24-3-2016 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation
You will notice the Mesopotamian depiction shows a mammalian tail, avian hind legs, lion's paws, etc. It is an amalgam, closer to a gryphon than a dragon.

Mesopotamians depicted unification of attributes regularly, for example the Assyrian Lamassu, representing animal strength with human intellect:

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Star and a flag for an interesting read/theory.

I think the "dragons" were most likely the terror birds- Gastornis, Dromornithidae, and Phorusrhacidae.

Phorusrhacidae was a large flightless predatory terror bird that lived in South America.
edit on 24-3-2016 by Schmoe1223 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe
I think so... once you leave here at light speed or greater... this .... is no longer your's so to speak. The 5 years flying in space at the speed of light would be thousands here. They (wow - ahem - reptiles) had an awful long time here, to themselves... Same with the bugs... Worth a wonder? Right?

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   
If we REALLY want to go out there for reasons and explanations. The ancients could have remote viewed these creatures and made drawings and sculptures to show the others what they "viewed"

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Strong and enjoyable post, thanks.

Your question "...where did the concept originate from in the human mind?" is the puzzler for me.

Though, I must admit, I think there maybe reptiles (eg. Megalania) out there, say the unexplored jungles of North Queensland, or even something lurking in the under-explored deserts of North Africa, that either benefits from a 'recessive gene' which re-ignites dinosaur characteristics, or is a simple survivor.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I created a post on Tiamat and Apsu yesterday for those interested in investigating my theories further.

Solution to Genesis 1:1-2 mystery

-MM
edit on 25-3-2016 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

1.) Dinosaur fossils were found in ancient times and people created stories and myths about what they were based on their fossilized skeletal remains.

or

2.) Some form of Dinosaurs survived in isolated pockets and were sometimes hunted and feared, while in others, were venerated and idolized.

Myth and Terrible Lizards aside, there s a third possibility… that specimens they call extinct are all still here, just smaller and younger versions of their former self. Since we know crocs, porpoises and sharks grew fifty feet, since they have found giant fleas, cockroaches and dragon flies, why not giant birds that we think were lizards. After all how could a feathered flightless, long neck, dino feet, with short wings grow so large?

If current specimens of some birds are big enough to ride bareback, imagine how big some may have been back when the earths environment was supporting other 'ordinarily' giganticus non-extincted critters?

Big Bird

edit on 25-3-2016 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: SargonThrall

In your theory the South and Central American civilizations worshiped literal feathered serpents. One would expect these serpent bones in the temples, similar to Apis bull worship. One would expect depictions of them with priests, or people of high class. Verbal tales of literal epic captures of the creatures. Instead the tales make gods seem very human and emphasize duality. Notice how serpents were often depicted with human faces:

If I'm right, sooner or later they'll find something in one of their oldest tombs. I'll keep my fingers crossed...

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
As always, Slayer69, your posts are welcome for their depth and width.

I have thought about this subject since I was young. I have a scenario to put out there.

Imagine you live in antiquity and you are the heir to the thrown. Your people are building a new castle on the sight where your family has ruled for generations and they discover what we now know to Dee the skull of a dinosaur.

Now the smartest thing to do would be to claim that your great, great, great grandfather king GreatBeard Slayer once fought and killed a dragon on this very spot which is how your family became the divine rulers of Slayerland.

Have local artists paint the story. Musicians sing of his bravery and the local priests tie it into whatever religion your subjects believe in.

Now place the skull above your thrown so that all who come to visit you will be stairing directly at the reminder of your families birth rite to the kingdom.

I don't know... just a thought.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Mrgone

Nice post! Really deep!

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Yes, there be dragons.

In a thread of mine posted a few days ago, a related subject was discussed. IMO you are absolutely right if you say that many of the dinosaur species that lived millions of years ago survived and roamed the earth. Some even still do. Also, some of these species still exist and live underground. They have developed for millions of years, are highly intelligent. They know how to engineer bio-drones (e.g. the Grey, but also some humanoids), and use these for various purposes. They also created man - they seem to use us for various experiments and as workers "on the outside".

They are the ones responsible for almost every UFO sighting. They in fact are the true masters of this planet, but they live inside our planet and they have no desire whatsoever to take over the outside. In olden days they visited the outslde more often, hence the large amounts of depictions of "lizardlike" gods, dressed in suits to protect them from heat and radiation. Nowadays the have the Grey to do their fieldwork.

There be dragons allright.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Interesting idea, it seems plausible enough to me, after all don't many creatures alive today and all reptiles trace their ancestors back to the Dinosaurs? Though I wouldn't necessarily say that the Dragons from the myths and legends survived unchanged from the period of Dinosaurs, they might have continued to evolve.

I think its highly possible something related to this critter and much larger could have been made extinct at some point in the past when humans were also around.Draco Volans

link

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

There's also this, whether its real or fake though I couldn't say.

Chinese Dragon

edit on 25-3-2016 by surfer_soul because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Here is another depiction of Tiamat, this time looking more like the Lock Ness monster than a dragon. This may be the oldest sea serpent depiction that we have found? Makes you wonder if they actually saw something like this.

-MM

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   

It's nice to see something thought provoking in the Skunk Works for a change. I have always been fascinated by Jung's Collective Unconscious; it explains so much of the mythological aspect of the UFO phenomenon. Perhaps all mammals have inherited a fear of predatory dinosaurs... at one point, millions of years ago, it would have been a necessary survival trait.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Good stuff in this thread.

I also think think that Dragon myths are memories of dinosaurs or something similar, but i think that rather than Dinosaurs being alive in recent times, that Homo Sapiens are an older species than we are taught. I saw somewhere pictures of fossilised human footprints and Dinosaur footprints together, I've no idea if they are fakes though.

Again nice thread.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join