It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to raise the voting age.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Wait, how is it not fascist for the OP to say all young people don't know enough to vote, but someone makes a rebuttal and they're evil?

And the poster is right, so many Republicans don't care whatsoever about other people even in their own country they probably don't deserve to vote, but I'm pretty sure he meant it as a joke.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

I didn't agree with the OP, I definitely didn't agree with the poster, and it looks like I'm not going to agree with you.

I'm such a disagreeable old bastard.

Any rights you want to take away from me?

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Yes, people are not always self aware enough to realize that they support taking the right to vote away from one group of people, but it is considered fascist when it affects them. Thus demonstrating the lack of empathy.

It was a sarcastic post meant to make people think. Although it sounds like most people support everyone's right to vote.
edit on 26pmSat, 26 Mar 2016 13:45:40 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

DB Cowboy sounds like a decent guy who supports the right to vote.
edit on 26pmSat, 26 Mar 2016 13:56:24 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Thank you.

And yes, I definitely missed any of the sarcasm in your previous post.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
How about a simple intelligence/knowledge test before voting? I know it's not very PC to actually judge people by their mental capacity. But when voting affects the whole of society then it should be reserved for the intelligent, informed individuals. Here in America the masses are NOT informed or intelligent! So sick of my life being effected by a group's of people who are out of contact with reality.

Age doesn't matter! I have met really informed young people and very ill informed old people and vice versa. Actually the older generations need to start accepting the majority of the problems we face as a nation are a direct result of their ill informed complacent actions and voting habits. They gave us NAFTA and GATT after all...

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
In America it's definitely the older voters that are the problem. Again, we need to lower the voting age. Maybe no one over 30 should be allowed to vote?

How can I say that? The older voters are the ones that keep voting in Jeb Bush, Mitch McConnell, Michelle Bachman, Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer, Harry Reid, Orin Hatch. Younger voters see through all that crap.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrokedownChevy
a reply to: and14263

Conditioned? Perhaps it's an absolutely retarded idea to force people to take a test to vote?

I'll say it again. The Constitution was created to prevent oppression from people just like you.

That's why democracy fails.

Running a country is harder than flying a plane.

Would you let anyone fly a plane?

Your use of the word 'retarded' is misplaced and insulting.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
That's why democracy fails.

Yeah, it's obviously failed terribly!
*facepalm*

Running a country is harder than flying a plane.

It's harder than a lot of things, thankfully no one person does it alone.
Thankfully, most of the time, nations elect rational and reasonable people to guide the nation, while a whole team of thousands work with them to represent the interests of millions of people.

Would you let anyone fly a plane?

I would let a pilot fly a plane.
Y'know, just like we let experienced individuals run a country, with the full support of thousands of others who are more experienced in their fields than you are.

Your use of the word 'retarded' is misplaced and insulting.

It's adequate for a person who believes "democracy has failed" while democracy thrives all around him, and while he's grown up in the luxury of that democracy.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: yeahsurexxx
Thing is. Ppl should get a iq test to ba able to vote.
Above average can vote.

and an ID!

Those Emory Uni students makes a good case for the OP.

You can't vote if you freak out at a name written in chalk.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

I'll play along for a second. Who creates the test?

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Ok Rocker, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Among many points - democratic deficit, the rise of single policy parties, the influence our media has over the voting populace, leaders who love money/power and not humans... in my opinion lead me to believe democracy is failing miserably.

But that's only my opinion, don't let it get to you.

As always I will continue to respect your viewpoint even though I disagree.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

a reply to: Rocker2013

Ok Rocker, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Among many points - democratic deficit, the rise of single policy parties, the influence our media has over the voting populace, leaders who love money/power and not humans... in my opinion lead me to believe democracy is failing miserably.

But that's only my opinion, don't let it get to you.

As always I will continue to respect your viewpoint even though I disagree.

And I yours.
Our difference seems to be that while I recognize civilization is a work in progress (how could it not be, we are constantly evolving), I'm also not willing to nuke the theme park because someone threw up on the ride.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Better yet, you either have to own property, or be named on a lease to vote.

So, no voice for moochers.... LOL

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok

Really while we're at it, we should do credit checks too, anyone who can't be trusted with their line of credit can't be trusted to make sound electoral judgements either.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok

Lets just have voter tests, make sure people understand the issues they're voting on.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join