It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to raise the voting age.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: xstealth

We should raise the age to vote when we also raise the age to join the military, and set an age limit on political positions.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: theantediluvian
That explanation isn't applicable to the change in Britain.

I honestly don't much about the history of the voting age in the UK except it happened a little sooner there.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

They live with their parents, never worked, never been in the real world, yet they are at the helm of political protests and voting efforts. They simply are not qualified to vote.

So who are these people voting for, causing you grief?

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
You'd be better off lowering the drinking age. The kids won't be so pissed then.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
I honestly don't much about the history of the voting age in the UK except it happened a little sooner there.

The change came just in time for me to vote in the 1970 election, and it was carried out by a Labour (that is, left-wing) government.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid
LMAO!

I came to post the same thing. You're and adult, or you're not, right? Can vote, but can't drink...lunacy. Sounds like something the hippies in BC would come up with...

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
I would point out that the right to vote is in the Constitution... a document on its way to oblivion under current management...

No, it is not. The constitution contains no right to vote, some amendments however do list ways in which a vote cannot be denied.

originally posted by: xstealth
In the old days people used to have jobs and families at 18, now the younger generation still lives with their parents over a quarter of their lives. We have 25 year old, "college students", who've never worked a real job in their lives who think they know something about life. At 18 you were a man, now you're a college student.

They live with their parents, never worked, never been in the real world, yet they are at the helm of political protests and voting efforts. They simply are not qualified to vote.

I think raising the voting age is an appropriate response to an increasing lazy and non-driven generation.

Raise the voting ages to 25 years old, but still 18 years old for military and people who work for a living to the point they actually pay taxes, not get all of it returned every year because they don't meet the income requirements.

Back in the good old days owning property and being male were much bigger bottlenecks on voting than age was.

If someone is over 25 and pays little to no taxes would you still deny them a vote?
edit on 23-3-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

In the old days people used to have jobs and families at 18, now the younger generation still lives with their parents over a quarter of their lives. We have 25 year old, "college students", who've never worked a real job in their lives who think they know something about life. At 18 you were a man, now you're a college student.

I think raising the voting age is an appropriate response to an increasing lazy and non-driven generation.

Raise the voting ages to 25 years old, but still 18 years old for military and people who work for a living to the point they actually pay taxes, not get all of it returned every year because they don't meet the income requirements.

So it's ok to ship an 18 year old off to war , but they won t be able to cast their vote for whatever fool wants to start that war?

Sorry, I just can't get behind that idea. Another poster suggested an across the board age for voting, drinking and military service.

Works for me.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I never get why its 21 to drink in the usa, a man should be able to drink a beer before he heads off to war, always baffled my mind.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I understand your dismay with many of the younger generation, but there are people like my 18 year old daughter who took her right to vote very seriously and did her research. She didn't vote for who her mother and I voted for she made her own decision. Frankly, almost all of the other kinds her age didn't even bother to register to vote.

I don't think the vote should be taken away from my daughter or people her age. Most of the people that are uninformed don't care about voting anyway.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

When my son was excited about and went to vote for his first time(about 8 years ago) I was proud. Don't care who he voted for. He participated. Proud as #.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: Metallicus

When my son was excited about and went to vote for his first time(about 8 years ago) I was proud. Don't care who he voted for. He participated. Proud as #.

Exactly!

My daughter and I took a picture together and I couldn't care less who she voted for...I was just glad she voted and took her responsibilities seriously.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Time to raise the voting age.

To 80!

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Thing is. Ppl should get a iq test to ba able to vote.
Above average can vote.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   
This suggestion is simply stupid. 18 year old citizens face the same legal responsibilities and punishments as other adults, so they should also get the legal perks of adult citizenship.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: yeahsurexxx
Thing is. Ppl should get a iq test to ba able to vote.
Above average can vote.

(Glances at the spelling in your post.) Hmmm, are you sure you want to make this argument?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Hey I do not like what this group of people thinks so lets just deny them the right to vote. That is about as un-American as you can get. Here are the nations of the world that require you to be 21 to vote Kuwait, Lebanon, Malaysia, Oman, Solomon Islands. and Tonga. Yeah, great idea.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I have to say, I definitely get how xstealth feels. I agree with the posters who mentioned how their parents are largely to blame also. I also am glad for Metallicus that his daughter is reasonable. That's probably because he is a good dad, though. What I find most intriguing though is that the majority of the responses you received here, xstealth, are simply childish. .. even those that had a valid point to be made. Interesting. But you're right, the college demographic is a problem in political reality.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta
I have to say, I definitely get how xstealth feels. I agree with the posters who mentioned how their parents are largely to blame also. I also am glad for Metallicus that his daughter is reasonable. That's probably because he is a good dad, though. What I find most intriguing though is that the majority of the responses you received here, xstealth, are simply childish. .. even those that had a valid point to be made. Interesting. But you're right, the college demographic is a problem in political reality.

The entire subject is childish. The college demographic is not a problem. Agree with them or not. Just as while most older retired people vote with an agenda that supports their wants and needs. The very rich vote to with an agenda to support their wants and needs, the very poor vote with an agenda that supports their wants and needs, the very religious vote with an agenda that supports their wants and needs so do students. The college demographic is not a problem it is the very essence of a democracy just as all the other demographics are. To try and remove one from the mix because they do not have your agenda is childish.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

I say we take away your right to vote. Why? Because you want to remove it from others.
edit on 24-3-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join