It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NDAA Legalizes The Use Of Propaganda Against US Citizens.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
This is interesting, and seems to have passed without much comment lately:

www.businessinsider.com...

"The newest version of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) includes an amendment that would legalize the use of propaganda on the American public, reports Michael Hastings of BuzzFeed.

The amendment — proposed by Mac Thornberry (R-Texas) and Adam Smith (D-Wash.) and passed in the House last Friday afternoon — would effectively nullify the Smith-Mundt Act of 1948, which explicitly forbids information and psychological operations aimed at influencing U.S. public opinion."

I'm surprised given how much they already do to influence public opinion, just how much more they will now be able to unleash now that it's legal. I imagine it opens the door to the deployment of all sorts of black-ops tools against an unsuspecting general public.

"If the NDAA goes into effect in its current form, the State Department and Pentagon can go beyond manipulating mainstream media outlets and directly disseminate campaigns of misinformation to the U.S. public."

In Fascist America, Propaganda propagates YOU!

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I for one welcome emperor comb-over.
Expects more flashes on your tv screen

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The gullible sheeple amongst us will notice nothing different. Nothing will change for the cognitively dissonant.

So now we can thank NDAA for the nullification of Habeas Corpus a few years back, and now this. Ike was so right.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

I may be overly cynical, but I see this as being basically a bit housekeeping in that they are pretty much just passing a law to clarify that their current activities are deemed to be legal.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

This has been legal for several years now, the article you shared is from 2012 and there are threads discussing this on ATS already, but you're right, it's an important topic that should have more attention

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Slave2theTruth

I may be overly cynical, but I see this as being basically a bit housekeeping in that they are pretty much just passing a law to clarify that their current activities are deemed to be legal.

It's still absolutely hilarious that they felt the need to formally legalize propaganda against the American public. What we all thought was basically common practice will now be full blown, completely out of proportion, absolutely without a doubt, in your face common practice.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Wasn't this apart of the 2012 NDA, or was it later? Either way, there are threads about this already, unless the propaganda machine was strengthened recently?
edit on 23-3-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
A few years old

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Fascism you can vote for! Yay!

These people don't work for us they work against us.

Don't they see what they are doing? Weren't they once human too?

These politicians are a disgusting bunch. They sell our rights and a great country that was once a country looked up to and that once had an "American dream" for cash and goods that they can't take with them when they die.

Leaving behind a devided enslaved society. And the worst part about it is the masses still have a fighting chance but will do nothing but follow the hurd to the slaughter, dragging people like us down the drain with them.

When TSHTF I got nothing but a bullet for either of the two.
edit on 3/23/2016 by Alien Abduct because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: angryhulk

IMO, it is already in our face.

The American people have been conditioned to quickly enter a state of "willing suspension of disbelief". We are conditioned to see every news event as some sort of morality play, and that is the way they present it.

No question asking--we accept everything at face value.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Thought so when I read Michael Hastings.

We all know how that ended.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: angryhulk

I suppose it could lead to even more nonsense once it is legally sanctioned, but in a way, propaganda may actually be more effective if the subjects don't believe they are watching/reading/listening to propaganda. Once the targets know they are being propagandized, more of them would (hopefully) see through it. Of course, this assumes that the overwhelming masses would have any idea what the NDAA is and that they would even care that they are being influenced.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

R.I.P. to that man - very sad things like this are a regular occurrence. So many things didn't add up with that suspicious death (and his recent research/activities)

"Things that make you go hmmm" (and cringe)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Lets see if its challenged. I can't imagine it would withstand a SCOTUS challenge....

The very notion of a people paying to support propaganda against themselves completely flies in the face of the rights of the individual.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure Call of Duty has been doing this for more than a decade.

'Hey kids! too young to remember 9/11 but old enough to hold a controller? Play Call of Duty! shoot terrorists in the streets of Baghdad! Shoot your fellow man while bragging about fornicating their mothers! learn about the glory of military service!'

It's a known fact that the military 'consults' Hollywood and video game developers to paint them in a good light and these mediums could also be used for promoting a career in the armed forces despite how hideously inaccurate they are.

'YVAN EHT NIOJ' was far more subtle.

edit on 23-3-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
This is old news, but re-reading it and thinking back over the couple of years or so since it was passed, just brought home to me how our media have become nothing but tools to be used by whatever propaganda machine.

I have developed the old attitude, "believe none of what you hear and half of what you see".

But, I also wonder how can this work when nobody, especially the millennials don't watch news programs much anymore. They get their "news" from social media. I actually watched an interview with some 20-something year old who was asked where she gets her news, and she actually said "Instagram".

It tells me that groups, government, and movements are using mostly social media to stir up the masses with their own brand of propaganda.

The idiocy that BLM spits out comes to mind. If that isn't brainwashing with propaganda, I don't know what is. When a black man stands up and says if my skin is black and your skin is black, then we must stand together in agreement and solidarity? What?! Is there no such thing as independent thinking within the black community? Are they just one big head with a billion arms and legs? I think too many of them are waking up to the reality of what has been done to keep them voting a certain way, and a whole lot of them are waking up and thinking for themselves, and the propaganda machine is in panic mode.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Most definitely Washington works with Hollywood.

I wonder what propaganda is going to be regurgitated out of this one:

Steven Spielberg 'To Work On Obama Legacy'

news.sky.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Why would our country find the need to lie to us legally? They've been lying to us since the late 1800s and did so without a law being passed. I find this formality a waste of taxpayers money.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

Why would our country find the need to lie to us legally? They've been lying to us since the late 1800s and did so without a law being passed. I find this formality a waste of taxpayers money.

"Taxpayer Money" is the species of the money tree politicians use.

I bet if you really took time to look, you will find some 501(c)3 getting grant money to produce the propaganda, or some politician's wife's brother's company being paid to film a "documentary" to explain "the real truth" to you.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

"Taxpayer Money" is the species of the money tree politicians use.

LOL! I'd never heard that before.

taxpayerus moneyus

-dex

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join