It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockheed Pushes for Hypersonic Aircraft

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I have a feeling this push by LM for fighter sized hypersonics is to drum up publicity. It seams a little vain but there is a lot of money to be made if the public sees LM as the Gods of aviation again like they did back in the SR-71 days. Think of all the merchandising and exposure they could get with a picture of an SR-72 on every T-shirt and poster across the land.
They are playing a page out of the recent NG book with the B-21 contract. They have some really cool stuff that they are ready to take to the next level but if the DoD doesn't write the checks, they might take their budget fight to the streets so to speak to get public support.

I'm pretty sure they have a small run of hypersonic "SR" airframes already but they need to cash to miniaturize the tech to get it into a fighter size and get to the next level with breakthroughs they may have made in propulsion and materials science.

edit on 23-3-2016 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: intelgurl

Hello everybody! English is not my forte, i hope you bear with me.

After several years of wandering through ATS fields, mainly this forum, i just decided to join. Happy to see Intelgurl´s return, and i would like to see if she or another member can help with this:
We are talking on this thread about fast movers, and i remember a post by Intelgurl years back about a company named Sonicblue Aerospace and its electric-hybrid VTOL. Well, this same company is doing extensive research on hybrid jet engines for super-hypersonic regimes and is linked with Hypermach Aerospace in the making of the propulsion for the proposed Sonicstar.

What is intriguing is that the CEO of both companies has another one in the waiting (Hyperpropulsion) and it seems that he has links with defense in a variety of non disclosed programs related with hypersonic or even SSTO.
My question is if these guys are what they claim, because the Hypermach page is dormant for four years, the Sonicblue one is in construction for months after being on and off for years, and Hyperpropulsion page is frozen with an image of what appears to be some badass hypersonic drone. Thank you!

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Can I ask what is probably a very stupid question. Why the need for hypersonic aircraft? I understand the need for one of its a reconnaissance platform but is there need for a hypersonic bomber or fighter for example?

With the likes of the US military where they have bases and carriers all over the world and with precision bombing now the main use of ordinance surely the current fighters and bombers are capable of already deploying anywhere in the world at short notice

Or is it a case of just keeping ahead of the competition.

Hope my question is clear and makes sense

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

I think it's mostly for ISR but it can give one hell of an "instant strike" capability as well. It would allow the US to get to a target area faster, all while basing the aircraft farther away from that target area.
If the US sees a target that needs to go away fast in a highly defended airspace, they could send a B-21 form the mainland US, that would take half a day or more to get there or they could send a hypersonic strike platform, also from the mainland US, that could be there in an a couple hours or less. Even less time if they are based offshore. It's just another way of diversifying the arsenal and giving brass another tool to get the job done.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AlongCamePaul

An aircraft this fast won't be laying down Gs. The acceleration will be fairly slow and steady so won't be too bad, and it will have a turn radius at speed that will make the SR-71 turns look tight by comparison.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

As for roles, most likely IRS for now but you bet that they are looking at other capabilities as well.

Holy crap, Sam.

A hypersonic IRS agent?

That's the most terrifying weapon of all...

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

The more varied the threat posed, the more difficult it is to defend against.

With the B-21 alone, it might be possible to come up with defenses that are affordable.

With the B-21 and a big missile truck (B-52 arsenal plane), it gets harder.

With the B-21 and a big missile truck (B-52 arsenal plane) with a mix of stealthy cruise missiles and hypersonic missiles, it gets much harder.

etc.

A hypersonic strike bomber would make that much worse. Though, hypersonic missiles would probably be a better bet due to costs.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
this is a fascinating and timely thread. thanks intelgurl.

I think that Lockheed is coming out with this announcement so a certain AFRE technology can come out into the grey.

I think this is so because of all the talk regarding onboard lasers. where's it going to get its energy from? People are going to start asking questions specifically regarding, so they may have to come out in the grey about the technology.

I also think the new AFRE is scalable. and now they have a reliable way to down size it for fighter, drone and maybe even missiles.

I also don't think, although it may be a red herring they go with, that this new AFRE is turbine based combined cycle.

as for hypersonic bombers. prompt global strike bomber coupled with hypersonic missiles would make a lot of sense to me.

also, it sheds light on some experiments to extend the "8 minute mark" for the hypersonic skins. pretty sure friction from hypersonic speeds has been addressed for aircraft flying in thin air at very high altitudes. would be neat if they could tackle that problem for aircraft intended to fly at low altitudes like drones and fighters and cruise missiles.

either way this is a fantastic new precedent that means very exciting times ahead for aviation fans.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Comes to take your taxes before you have time to think.

Yes, it's early.

edit on 23-3-2016 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I agree I read that and said "The IRS has one too! They already have enough power!"

gotta admit when I read that a small tremor from terror ran down my back.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

I think there's a TV series in there somewhere.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

eh, rule number one in hollywood. never make a movie too terrifying to see.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
zaph or other venerable forum members. do you think if they built a hypersonic mach 6 ISR platform it would use the same navigating tricks the sr71 did like using the lights of large cities such as los angeles as beacons for when they need to start timing their turns or is that not necessary with the satellite and gps type of technology thats ubiquitous these days.

I hope so it would be awesome to try and get a glimps of a bird using this tech over my own backyard, or sidewalk in my case.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Any chance that big hole in the desert coincides with the brief SR-71 reinstatement? Because that would make sense.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I'd guess to say that they would use sat. and more modern methods of encrypted communications since they didn't have that available back in the 60's like they do today. However, I could see them being trained and at least proficient in the "old school" methods to keep in their back pocket for "just in case" times.
I think your in a location well suited to seeing them either way though.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Northernhollow

The timing sounds about right. If the location can be narrowed, there's a higher than average chance I could put together a team to go look for evidence of it.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

You bring up a good point. My concern was if a high flying ISR platform was using something to mitigate friction or to push the bow shockwave around or to "augment" the air as a pre-step before this new "compressor" would that prevent a clean signal from reaching the aircraft?

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman
a reply to: Northernhollow

The timing sounds about right. If the location can be narrowed, there's a higher than average chance I could put together a team to go look for evidence of it.

You n Zaph should get out there and do a hunt for the wreckage pieces. I think it would be kinda cool. YOu two remind me of the ATS's Aviation Forum version of Indiana Jones searching for lost aircraft relics and treasure.

The Robotek Avatars are pretty sweet but you guys should put up temporary Indiana Jones/Nathan Drake themed avatars when you guys are out on an expedition. That way the members can know that you guys are off on some adventure and eagerly await for any exciting news or tales upon your return.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Ha! That's not a bad idea. We are going to be on expedition this summer and both of us want to do some digging in NM.

posted on Mar, 23 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Take it one step further.

I propose You and Zaph should create the ATS-AFRC (ATS- Aviation Field Research Club)

I picture you guys setting up a thread where you update and chronicle the adventures of your expeditions.

Encourage other members to set up their own local expeditions, maybe if their lucky they can get a star guest member such as Zaph to join along.

The Club could set up field trips to historical aviation sights. Do members meetups and attend air shows. maybe see if members can set up outings to get tours of air museums or even air bases or contractor's facilities.

Maybe make a set of ground rules like no member posts other members personal information. No photos allowed of actual members unless expressly given permission by said member.

Give members who actually participated and or set up their own expeditions in some significant way maybe get a icon in their signature that denotes they are AFRC members

I dunno I think it would be a cool.

edit on 23-3-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join