It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Egyptian 'demons' conference

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Ancient Egyptian manifestations of liminal entities - March 21- 24, 2016

Experts studying ancient Egyptian supernatural entities in texts and objects are gathering for a conference at Swansea University. An academic who advised on films like The Mummy is among speakers to attend. The aim is for scholars to share their research findings into "demons" featured in ancient Egyptian artefacts. The Demon Things Conference 2016, which is open to the public, is hosted by the Egypt Centre and the Department of History and Classics. Among the speakers is Wael Sherbiny, who rediscovered a 4,000-year-old artefact containing spells and depictions of gods in a leather manuscript from ancient Egypt, and Stuart Tyson Smith, a consultant for the Stargate, The Mummy and The Mummy Returns films. A university spokesman said: "Scholars are being encouraged to present their findings in the hopes that the conference will provide a creative venue for spotting links and patterns. "By converging different areas of research a fuller picture of these multi-faceted entities may emerge." BBC News

demon things.com

"This international conference explores the range and variation of liminal entities the Ancient Egyptians believed capable of harm and help from the Predynastic through the Coptic periods. While previous demonological conferences focussed on issues related to definitions, we invite scholars to discuss the manifestations of demons through iconography, objects, or textual descriptions."

Demon Things - Abstract Booklet PDF
edit on 21 3 2016 by Hex1an because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Hex1an

I would love to attend (or see a video of this conference) - very interesting stuff

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I would love to attend (or see a video of this conference) - very interesting stuff

Yes I hope it's recorded in some way... I'm following their twitter feed.
So hopefully they will release more info.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Oh oh... now they've gone and done it... some doors were closed for a veeeery good reason... in this case, think of the door as a refrigerator door, and guess who the perishable yummies were/are? Where DID the Egyptians "go?"

I'm kidding... well, mostly.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Actually, I proposed a paper for the conference. It wasn't accepted, but I'm going to tweak the paper and submit again next year.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd
Actually, I proposed a paper for the conference. It wasn't accepted, but I'm going to tweak the paper and submit again next year.

Mind if I ask what the subject was?

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
You just have to love the demons from those sand countries.

Especially Scorpions. Giant Scorpions are added in so many pieces of literature and movies and games.

Tho Sand Demons are better. Because they are made entirely of Sand.

Also i love games based on those stuff....

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Bummer.... that's a long way to go, Wales - UK. Even from our east coast. I didn't see a lot of information forth coming. A bunch of speakers for sure. I'm curious the types and names of the said spooks or spells and perhaps evidence... of them.

At any rate present a 'demon' something something to use as a basis of a starting point for study. You know, the different demons have their own study groups..................... ..... ...wait..! did I just say that ?

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Egyptians loved their spells.

I also hope there is a recording of sorts.
Byrd. If you get accepted next year, Ill meet you there

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

The magical knives. I'm trying to translate this paper right now

I read German at about a first grade level, and it's very difficult.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

I also hope there is a recording of sorts.

"unfortunately not" was their comment, which is very disappointing to say the least.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Good luck to you.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I know some German as well, from what i've read about German is that it is the closest thing to the English language that you can get, making it the easiest language to learn.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Yeah, keep trying... It would be great if you got accepted.
good luck with the translation, you sure haven't set yourself an easy task.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I see the paper is available via download. How long is it? I have a friend fluent in German. He'd likely have interest in the topic also. I can ask him for a translation.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Tell me more!!

Snoopy minds want to know. Not that I'll understand most of it, mind you...

Good luck to you.
edit on 3/22/2016 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

I see the paper is available via download. How long is it? I have a friend fluent in German. He'd likely have interest in the topic also. I can ask him for a translation.

The download costs $40, and the paper itself is 197 pages and the following catalog is 139 pages. I'm working on both. I've managed to translate the first 30 pages or so - the scholarly language is very heavy going, and some terms aren't entirely clear (I think the Germans are calling it by one name while we Americans (and the British) use a different name).

Having someone do the rough translation would be lovely... however I seriously doubt anyone's eager to translate 300 pages worth of PhD dissertation for me.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
I know some German as well, from what i've read about German is that it is the closest thing to the English language that you can get, making it the easiest language to learn.

It was surprisingly easy to get up to first or second grade reading level. But this is a scholarly thesis that he wrote for his doctorate. And it's... Not Easy.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Tell me more!!

Snoopy minds want to know. Not that I'll understand most of it, mind you....

There's not much to know, which is what makes it fun. The material is ivory hippopotamus tooth sanded/carved down to a sickle shape. There are a few plain ones, some are 3D carved, there is at least one made out of wood... I've seen an object misidentified as a awand, and then there are the ones that are inscribed with spirits ("demons"... though they really aren't demons as we think of them). There are no drawings showing their use, though the tips of some are worn from drawing something on the ground (protective circles, I'm told.)

All are Middle Kingdom/New Kingdom (I don't see any Ptolemaic wands). I will have to check to make sure that I've seen or got notes on all of the ones we know about. I think I can distinguish between "personal wands" (made for someone) and "general use wands" owned by the priest (this will be controversial but I think I can make my case.) I think I can help identify two unprovenanced wands.

...and I really should make a database of them. Alas, the DemonThings database was designed for the Mac (rather than for everyone) and includes database columns that I have no use for but does not include things I do have a use for.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I wish I had half the dedication you do. We're lucky to have have you around to share your knowledge.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join