It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Petroleum extraction be causing the numerous earthquakes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I have beeen wondering for a while now if man really understands if Petroleum belongs under the earth for a purpose. Is it just there for us to find and suck out to power motor vehicles and lube parts? This last bit got me wondering (lube parts that is) if the the petroleum assists in making the tectonic plate movement more smooth. Imagine two earth plates rubbing along side each other and there being a possible bind up due to a lack of lubrication or liquid movement. Motlen magma is probably the motivator but what about the areas that are nearer the surface that would cause some great binding if there was no lubrication.

If this has any truth to it we're in for a great deal more earthquakes worldwide, especially with the Chinese demanding more fuel with their growing economy.

Any thoughts on this or has this already been covered at great lengths? Or this just a Ludicris idea like the world being really round instead of flat?

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
LOL who told you the world was flat

just kidding

Oil to lubrcate the plates? thats not the way it works

Syntaxer has a thread going here
Could the Asian Tsunami/Earthquake been a simple coincidence of nature?or was it the work of a corporate oil seach turned tragedy?
Did corporate oil companies cause the Tsunami/Earthquake?

[edit on 12/1/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Once they drill and pump the crude out, to my understanding they pump sea water back into the cavity. There are other methods of drilling but that was the one I remember being the more often used. That could definately effect an area, as drilling for well water can cause sinkholes and other problems, but I wonder if that wouldn't be more of a localized effect. There is apparently some recent debate as to the origin of petrolium though, but regardless of it's orign we are pumping a hell of a lot of it out the earth. I don't think large oil deposits correlate to fault lines geographically, but changing the viscosity, and even the resonance of a large area I imagine could have some impact. Good question though.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Well it seems others are starting to think oil companies might be to blame for the Tsunami in Indonesia.

Indonesian Tsunami Probably Tripped by Exxon-Mobil Works
Scientists have known for some time that earthquakes in the order of 4.0 on the Richtor scale have been caused by oil drilling and other earth intrusive practices.

There have been earthquakes associated with large Hydro Dams. For example, Fontana Dam (USTVA North Carolina) has been associated with up to 4.0 earthquakes and routinely causes 2.5 quakes some fifty-plus years after construction.

Due to its much greater scale, and the presence of six geological faults in the area, the Three Gorges Dam in China will create very large earthquakes if its reservoirs are ever filled completely. According to Chinese news reports, tremors measuring 6.1 and 5.8 on the Richter scale hit the Zhangye region at 8:41 p.m. and 8:48 p.m. on Oct. 25, 2003.
Link

Military Campaign Hurting Civilians in Aceh, Indonesia

More than 1600 Indonesian troops have guarded the Exxon-Mobil facilities in Aceh at one time in recent years. The Indonesian government gleans more than $100 million per year from the works.

Syntaxer has a thread going here
Could the Asian Tsunami/Earthquake been a simple coincidence of nature?or was it the work of a corporate oil seach turned tragedy?
Did corporate oil companies cause the Tsunami/Earthquake?

[edit on 26/1/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   
[edit on 28-1-2005 by knutjar]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   
The wheel made humans greed motorised.You eat then you #.
oil is like one billion microwheels, and turns on endurance
Dont oil pollution, wars, destruction, power-ty and so on
Power & responsible is unlimited and so is catastrophs
Use the important time correct and learn wisdom
because in a open prison you can make some changes to happen.
I live in northern Norway and its like living in a freezing hell & i am
doomed by age and other nasty stuff.But no earthquakes yet
They are caused by human activity in some vulnerable areas,
some area of earth is populated by "call them invisible but material beeings
Dont build anything in this areas.To few humans can guide in
vu areas, and i hope more people can reach new levels 6?
I use astrologi, numberologi, alphabetologi, religion & o(u)ther contacts Walking the sunny side will only force nights and nightmares on us
Try getting the waves small as a dc line not ac line
Dont be to happy ,rich and so on.Prisonguards dont like that.no joking
In t mean time only fix existing houses, and leave vulnerable areas`s & the rain forest www.care2.com... tsunami

Dont eat coffe cake chips coca cola cream cake candy
cigar cigarettes next christmas costs y and causes calories cancer ++

[edit on 28-1-2005 by knutjar]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I live somewhat close to Fontanna Dam Sauron, hadn't heard fo that before, will have to look into it as earthquakes here are exceptionally rare. There is one major fault line that runs through this area called the Brevard Fault, not sure if it is related to Fontanna tremors. Interesting post man, had no idea earthquake activity could be so readily attributed to surface activities.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Extracting oil can occasionally cause low magnitude earthquakes, simply due to the crust re-adjusting itself. However they are LOW magnitude, around a 4.

Most large earthquakes occure below 10km, and oil is only extracted from a maximum of about 4-5km down. So there is simply no connection between earthquakes and oil extraction.

Dams often cause earthquakes due to the loading of the crust by the large amount of water pressing down on crust that has previously only had the pressure of the atmosphere to contend with.

new topics

top topics

join