It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Landing accident injures 8 on USS Eisenhower

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
One of the arresting cables on the deck of the Eisenhower snapped during the landing of an E-2C Hawkeye off the coast of Virginia. Eight sailors working the deck were injured when it whipped across the deck.

Eisenhower has been doing post overhaul work ups, including various ships in the group firing multiple SM-2 missiles yesterday. She required 50% more work than planned during her overhaul, and will eventually replace Truman in the Middle East this summer.

All of the injuries are reported to be non life threatening. Four sailors were transported by helicopter to Sentara Norfolk General, the only Level 1 trauma center in the area. Two were taken by helicopter to Portsmouth Naval Medical Center, while two remained on the ship. The Hawkeye was able to get airborne and returned to shore. There was no damage and no injuries reported to the aircraft or crew.

pilotonline.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

All of the injuries are reported to be non life threatening. Four sailors were transported by helicopter to Sentara Norfolk General, the only Level 1 trauma center in the area.

That's very good to hear.

I can't even imagine those big ol' cable coming whippin' across the deck at knee height...given the velocity, it amazes me they weren't killed.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I'm actually shocked no one was killed.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Probably looked a lot like this, except the E2 was able to make it back into the air

edit on 18-3-2016 by Bfirez because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

All of the injuries are reported to be non life threatening. Four sailors were transported by helicopter to Sentara Norfolk General, the only Level 1 trauma center in the area.

That's very good to hear.

I can't even imagine those big ol' cable coming whippin' across the deck at knee height...given the velocity, it amazes me they weren't killed.

There was a story about one sailor who was on the deck against a wall when an rigging cable snapped. The last thing he remembers seeing was both his legs falling overboard...

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
those poor guys who got injured. I can't imagine the horror of one of those cables shattering my legs as it slams into them. I hope the injuries they suffered are treatable with physical therapy after they get out of the hospital. although not life-threatening they've got to be bad enough that the sick bay couldn't handle them. (is that what they call the medical facilities on a ship, or have I been watching too much star trek?) I was under the impression the medical facilities were decent on a carrier.

man goes to show just how precious life can be. those guys were healthy men with full lives ahead of them then a second later it all changes. imagine if after you read this something tragic happened 5 minutes later that leaves you crippled and alters and diminishes your life forever.

my condolences go out to them and their family and wish them a speed return to health.

zaph or any navy /maritime experts,

what are the life ratings for those cables. do they need periodic replacing due to fatigue. I'd imagine so, but maybe they should look at the metrics and get the safety or maintenance program to shorten the usage time before replacement.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Someone in Newport News is in trouble.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
One of the arresting cables on the deck of the Eisenhower snapped during the landing of an E-2C Hawkeye off the coast of Virginia. Eight sailors working the deck were injured when it whipped across the deck.

Eisenhower has been doing post overhaul work ups, including various ships in the group firing multiple SM-2 missiles yesterday. She required 50% more work than planned during her overhaul, and will eventually replace Truman in the Middle East this summer.

All of the injuries are reported to be non life threatening. Four sailors were transported by helicopter to Sentara Norfolk General, the only Level 1 trauma center in the area. Two were taken by helicopter to Portsmouth Naval Medical Center, while two remained on the ship. The Hawkeye was able to get airborne and returned to shore. There was no damage and no injuries reported to the aircraft or crew.

pilotonline.com...[/q uote]

An aircraft carrier flight deck is one of the most dangerous places to work. Whether on the deck or flying. This isn't a 10000 foot runway and a shoot and trap separates Navy pilots from other pilots. Skylarkers are not permitted for this reason. Intakes, props, cables, and such are incredibly dangerous. Night ops are even worse and all deck crew have to know all steps of the dance or they can find themselves in trouble. Just turning the aircraft can send someone over the side. Hopefully, they end up in the safety net or the plane guard ship spots their epirb/plb. It's a long swim.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Cables are inspected and replaced as necessary. They're automatically replaced after a set number of landings.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I seem to recall this happening one time before,and the poor guy was sliced in two.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: seagull

I'm actually shocked no one was killed.

I think sadly a few will wish they were for awhile and you know what I mean about that. Cant wait till they figure out how to make them unbreakable.

top topics

join