It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mind Map

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

However, which of the following do you think more accurately describes to you what fear represents as a CONCEPT: "shortness of breath, increased heart rate, chills down the spine" compared to "concern about the unknown, a deep sense of worry, filled with dread" ?

Clearly the second one. The first could explain any arousal, whether fear or otherwise. We have a limited amount of bodily responses, but an infinite amount of scenarios in which they can be used. These situations—in philosophy of mind a theory called externalism, where the mind is dependent on external and environmental factors as well—should be considered as well.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Exactly, the second one.

What physical basis can we refer to when explaining the concept of fear? We cannot really do so, which leads me to believe that the second example uses terms which transcend the boundaries of the body and refer more specifically to the mind. The body knows the first example, the mind the second.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

You've addressed almost exactly the same concepts that I've thought about to get to where I am. I wonder what that says about the mind? (That we would use the same concepts to try and measure it.)

Also, and I don't want to scare you off, but where are you exactly with expectations? There has to be some kind of truth, within desire itself, that leads life on a similar coarse, right? (Laws of logic, so to speak.) e.g. We use similar concepts to measuring the mind, or convergent evolution in animals, etc. and so forth. As for myself, I think time and expectations have to be very closely linked. How close? I don't know - they may actually be the same exact thing. (Time as a sort of manifested will, where part of the expectation, or desire, is conception, or the desire to measure of will.) Are you making similar connections here?

Oh and what are you using to map with? Any specialty software? I am using a drawing program.

posted on Mar, 28 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Specimen

I've been saying it for year: evolution is the evolution of awareness (awareness being the conception, measurement, or translation of will/forces.) The body is merely the image, or output, of the measurement of will/forces. Like z being the image of the measure of the forces of x and y (x+y=z) -- where what you end up with is a lot of measurements like x being the measure of previously measured forces, y being the measure of other previously measured forces, and z being the final product (which will, itself, become one of the previous measures).

e.g.

desire to have insect qualia/qualities + desire to fly = bug with wings

vrs

desire to have fowl qualia/qualities + desire to fly = fowl with wings

(The main function is the measurement of desire/will/force. Convergent evolution being the convergence of similar measures of desire.)

The polar bear is white because he desired to blend into his environment, not because he went through an entire color spectrum and white just happened to help him survive better. The force that was translated into his color was his desire to blend in. (We are constantly forming our bodies into the qualities that are the measure of our desires - why should we think that this does not effect us on a molecular level?)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join