It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pregnant T. rex unearthed; Rare pregnant Tyrannosaurus rex has been found out West

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Well, this is a pretty big discovery. Just another Trex alone is huge; given the fact that we have found one with child is exceptional!

I'm looking forward to seeing how this transpires! Enjoy!

Through the years of searching for fossils of the ever-popular Tyrannosaurus rex, locating a pregnant one has been understandably difficult.

But scientists now believe they've located one, determining this particular T. rex that roamed Montana was female.

Traditionally, it's been extraordinarily difficult to figure out a dinosaur fossil's gender.

Specifically, the researchers from North Carolina State University and the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences found a medullary bone in a T. rex femur.

Pregnant T-Rex

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
thought they laid eggs?

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: haven123

These bones are found only in female birds in the period before or during egg-laying.

You need to read the article.

Great find! The rarest of the rare.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
When is she due?

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: haven123
thought they laid eggs?
when carrying an egg it is pregnant still isnt it?

cool beans i gave you your first flag
freaking love dinos!
edit on 17-3-2016 by CaDreamer because: eta

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Didn't they lay eggs? This one had eggs ?
Ok the article explained that this one had a particular bone that is also present in birds that are ready to lay eggs or had just laid eggs of that time period.
While pregnant is a term everybody understands it's not quite what this is. There was no baby t rex bones found. Still this has provided knowledge of the dinosaurs as they had always had a hard time determining the sex of a fossil. Now that they know this one is female they can compare it with other remains to see if there are other differences that will help p them identify the sex of future finds.
edit on 3172016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

edit on 3172016 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Didn't they lay eggs? This one had eggs inside it?
read the post before yours

yes they lay eggs

edit on 17-3-2016 by CaDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Please put more effort into your threads, as its about quality not quantity. This thread and lack of user input makes reading about it on ATS boring. I'd obviously rather go to a paleontology oriented website to discuss the details and mingle with like minded individuals than commend you for linking to a story that is already all over the internet, described in much greater detail. I know that you're better than repeatedly posting numerous topics, while letting the external content speak for itself, hopefully soon realizing that many of us that come here used to enjoy the other member's input and interpretation as it relates to the story.

This post will self destruct in 3...2...1...

edit on 17-3-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

This was a study regarding the gender identification through bone tissue which is now confirmed. The technique can be used as a reliable way to determine if the fossil is female or male.
There have been previous fossils found that also suggest 'it' was pregnant.
www.nature.com...
edit on 17-3-2016 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

edit on 17-3-2016 by CaDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CaDreamer

This T. rex isn't the first known example of a pregnant dinosaur. Fossils of both Allosaurus (a Jurassic-period, meat-eating relative of T. rex) and Tenontosaurus (a herbivorous relative of the duck-billed dinosaur) have been found with medullary bone, suggesting that the individuals may have died just before, during or after laying eggs

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

i misread your previous post and refuted it with what you already stated lol ... my apologies. i agree with your previous statement

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CaDreamer

I did and edited my post.

new topics

top topics

join