It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Model Ben Melzer Is Making History in Europe as First Transgender Model on Men's Health Cover

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I read the article and thought it deserved a thread here on ATS. Although I do not know any TG's, personally, I can only imagine the pain; mental &physical that one must endure...Just to feel normal day to day.

If you read the article, the other participants had no idea he was a TG.

"When I entered the cover model contest, many of the other men had no idea that I am a transgender model," he told NBC News. But Melzer was surprised to find that all of the participants were "curious to hear my story."

Hats off Ben! It must have been a rough journey, but you made it!

Ben Melzer Transgender

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Wow! Congratulations to Ben. I would never in a million years have guessed he was Transgendered.

Now tell me, should he go into the ladies room to pee? lol!

Seriously - not trying to derail...

- AB

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Very awesome. In my experience, transmen, in general, seriously take care of their bodies. If you think about it, one of the most male-affirming aspects of masculinity is facial hair and muscles. This is why so many transmen are these hot buffed guys (rarely clean shaven) that look ready for men's magazines.

I can't wait to see more transmen in men's sports leagues like boxing and football.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Aydian Dowling was runner-up in Men's Health 2015 Ultimate Guy Cover Contest and featured on a special collector's edition of the magazine.

So, where's all the typical ATS outrage and comments posted in most threads having to do with trans people such as?

• It is immoral
  • It is disgusting & perverted
  • He/she is suffering from severe mental illness
  • It's mutilation
  • It's criminal
  • It's something caused by trauma or abuse
  • Trans people are just very confused
  • People are playing god & it's against nature
  • XX or XY chromosomes are all that matters, period.
  • It's all a bunch of PC rubbish
  • When they dig up your bones 20 years from now...
  • Trans people are all fruitcakes
  • Etc., etc., etc.

Andreja Pejic made the March cover of Marie Claire

And before becoming Andreja, was still a big deal in the fashion industry

So, the question is, is there some misogynistic double standard of acceptance between transgender women and transgender men? Is it just a matter of perception? If you see these guys and think, "yeah, they're really men"...

why is it that when you see these two

You think they're something less than women?

Not trying to start an argument, just trying to make people think and I'm curious to see if folks believe there is a double standard and why?

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Freija

In all honesty, if I had seen any of these transgendered women or men without knowing in advance they were transgendered, I would not have seen them as anything but men and women.

To clarify, I would not have seen the transgendered women or men as "less than" a XX or XY chromosome person or anything like that... I would also not have seen the transgendered women as being somehow less women than the transgendered men were men... I hope I'm saying that so it makes sense. I'm trying to be careful how I say this, as I can see it is possibly a sensitive point? For me, there is no double standard, really. There is more sensationalism with Ms. Jenner, which might be part of what you are wondering about? I don't know... I can only answer for myself.

They are all gorgeous!

Is that what you were asking?

- AB

ETA: Yikes! I read the middle of your post regarding the criticisms... I guess I'm not one of those folks who say those things. Women often get more flack for stuff than men, though, so there could be something to that? (Anything related to sexuality, especially - we do face a double standard. If there is that phenomenon with transgendered women, then all I can say is, welcome to womanhood, sister.)
edit on 17-3-2016 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2016 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

I think you are at least part right about basic ugly misogyny. A transman is seen by other men as taking a "step up" in the world whereas transwomen are often viewed the opposite.

I think another reason is that most hetero cismen have a strange irrational fear of being "tricked" by a transwoman so there is always that meme in their heads. Or they mistakenly feel gay for being attracted to a transwoman and that angers (scares) most homophobes. On the other hand, I have never heard of a woman freaking out and killing her date when she finds out he was born with a vagina. Sexism gets really really really ugly when applied to transgender folks.

Luckily, many transmen seem to notice this and are some of the biggest advocates for rights.
edit on 17-3-2016 by Abysha because: Clarity

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard
... I hope I'm saying that so it makes sense. I'm trying to be careful how I say this, as I can see it is possibly a sensitive point? For me, there is no double standard, really. There is more sensationalism with Ms. Jenner, which might be part of what you are wondering about? I don't know... I can only answer for myself.

They are all gorgeous!

Is that what you were asking?

- AB

Thank you for your reply and observations. I know what you mean about being careful how you word things when talking about this subject - it is highly charged with emotion and stepping a toe beyond the constraints of political correctness or speaking in advocacy of trans people usually results in getting reamed by one side or the other. I've done my share of "reaming" others as well but consider myself knowledgeable on this topic as I've been interested in and studied it from a sociological standpoint for a long time.

Yes, you answered my question and your reply was refreshing. It would be nice if others were as open minded and accepting but my experience has been that many here don't share your opinion or perspective particularly when discussing transgender, gender non-conforming or transsexual children and teens. That's a total hot button mess.

My post was an attempt to sus out if people are more willing to accept trans men than they are trans women based on appearance and presentation or if natal men and women find one more acceptable than the other and if so why? It is just something I am curious about.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Becoming a man must be very liberating for a woman. No more makeup or periods!
Welcome to the good life ladies.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigScaryStrawman
Becoming a man must be very liberating for a woman. No more makeup or periods!
Welcome to the good life ladies.

Confusing (or confused) on so many levels. Can't tell if this is meant to be humorous or just sexist and ignorant?

top topics

join