It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Beach boys: "God Only knows"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I had never thought much of the Beach Boys. They were a pop band from before I was born. That is what I had thought of them. Their songs were catchy, but none would have appeared in any song list I had on any device or online service. I realized, not too long ago, that I wasn't paying enough attention. First I saw the movie "Love & Mercy" with John Cusack. Then I started listening to the Beach Boys, really listening.

Paul McCartney calls 'God Only Knows' his favorite song of all time. It became mine. I saw everything that went into it, musically and then listened to all of the words. It is a perfect, thoughtful and emotional song...while being radio playable at the same time.

In the video, they have absolutely no idea of what they are creating. It is lovely to watch.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
I had never thought much of the Beach Boys. They were a pop band from before I was born. That is what I had thought of them. Their songs were catchy, but none would have appeared in any song list I had on any device or online service. I realized, not too long ago, that I wasn't paying enough attention. First I saw the movie "Love & Mercy" with John Cusack. Then I started listening to the Beach Boys, really listening.

Paul McCartney calls 'God Only Knows' his favorite song of all time. It became mine. I saw everything that went into it, musically and then listened to all of the words. It is a perfect, thoughtful and emotional song...while being radio playable at the same time.

In the video, they have absolutely no idea of what they are creating. It is lovely to watch.

The beach boys - some of the most funtastic music ever heard.

Followed in the late 60's by Credence Clearwater Revvial - FFFFUUUUUNNNNNTTAASSSTTTTIIIIIC

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Many don't realise that the song was not solely a Beach Boys Production.

" God Only Knows " was co written with English songwriter Tony Asher.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Here in Australia we have an annual hottest 100 count down, it's done by an alternative national radio station called triple j, it's what all the young hipsters listen to...and older fellas like me too I guess, in 2009 they did a hottest 100 of all time and God Only Knows came in at number 43.

A good effort for such an old song

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
They also have this little gem:

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

The whole of the Pet Sounds album is pretty good tbh.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I was alive and loving the Beach Boys as they topped the music charts back in the day.

Jon and Dean are excellent as well.

Thank you for a rush of memories, Reldra.

I'm gonna have my driver to take me to the beach to soul surf and watch the surfers Catch a Wave.
edit on 16-3-2016 by NewzNose because: added content

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

That was our exit song at my wedding

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: neomaximus10

That was our exit song at my wedding

Was it re worded to " God Only Knows What I Am Letting Myself In for" ?

edit on 16-3-2016 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Lol, maybe in my head so I didn't get my butt whooped haha. Thankfully my wife is wonderful and is my best friend...waited 10 years being single till I found her, I ain't letting go

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: neomaximus10
a reply to: alldaylong

Lol, maybe in my head so I didn't get my butt whooped haha. Thankfully my wife is wonderful and is my best friend...waited 10 years being single till I found her, I ain't letting go

You sound a very lucky man.

Good luck for the future.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

In the video, they have absolutely no idea of what they are creating.

Brian Wilson (the singer in that clip) certainly did. I don't think the rest of the group really had a clue.

The LA session hotshots who were roped in to play on Pet Sounds (recorded while the rest of the band were touring Europe) used to call Brian ‘the genius kid’.

By the way, all the vocals on the track (indeed, I believe, all the vocals on Pet Sounds) are Brian’s.

He may have lost his marbles shortly thereafter, but he had them all when he made that album.

posted on Mar, 20 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join