It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tilikum, SeaWorld’s Killer Orca, is Dying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Tilikum, SeaWorld’s Killer Orca, is Dying
news.nationalgeographic.com...
March 10, 2016

Tilikum is a special and transformative killer whale. He was netted off Iceland in 1983, at the age of two, and has lived in captivity for almost 33 years now, for the past 24 years at SeaWorld’s Orlando, Florida park.

Tilikum made for a sympathetic and compelling character. At 22 feet and 12,000 pounds, he was a would-be ocean king reduced to a court jester with a floppy dorsal fin, splashing delirious SeaWorld audiences at the end of circus-style shows.

The orca is suffering from a serious bacterial infection.

SeaWorld killer whale Tilikum may be dying
www.cnn.com...

(CNN)Tilikum the killer whale may be "beginning to deteriorate" as the estimated 35-year-old animal battles a yet incurable bacterial infection in his lungs, SeaWorld said Tuesday.

"Despite the best care available, like all aging animals, he battles chronic health issues that are taking a greater toll as he ages," SeaWorld said on its website.

"However, the suspected bacteria is very resistant to treatment and a cure for his illness has not been found," SeaWorld said.

The famous killer whale is now phasing into the end of its less than natural life as a captive mammal. I just hope that the animal was able to make the best of his situation, and even though this bacterial infection is something that is incurable, you have to wonder if the killer whale would have been better off to fight infections in the real sea world?

Sad news...but such is life. RIP when it comes time fellow Tilikum
edit on 10-3-2016 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I am fortunate to live in the PNW, and have seen these incredible animals in the wild. They are extremely intelligent beings, and don't belong in any enclosure doing tricks for a paying public. The tactics used to separate and capture orcas for places like SeaWorld in the past are barbaric, and it's no wonder those that are forced to exist in captivity lose their souls and desire to thrive.

I'm not a tree hugging activist, just an ordinary Joe that knows what's right and what's wrong. End of rant.

PS: I hope Tilikum finds the next plane of existence better than the one he left.
edit on 2372016052016-03-10T22:42:05-06:0020164pm051042 by Boscowashisnamo because: none given.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this thread. I followed the trainer death incident, and got schooled after watching the movie "Blackfish".
www.youtube.com...
www.imdb.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boscowashisnamo
Thanks for posting this thread. I followed the trainer death incident, and got schooled after watching the movie "Blackfish".
www.youtube.com...
www.imdb.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

I hope more people watch this YT clip you posted as it opened my eyes...sad to watch in a way and hard to swallow that this is what happens so that business make profits at the expense of a wild animal.

That said, maybe it is best for Tilikum to move on to a better afterlife in his own ocean.

Edit:

I really love the animal kingdom and all its beauty. But when it comes to animals in captivity...regardless if it is a health issue, just really breaks my heart. And I hope that one day aquariums will do more for the animals than what they do now.
edit on 10-3-2016 by Skywatcher2011 because: added note

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Here is the Catch-22 ... most people who care so much about orcas only do so because of the exposure to them they have in places like SeaWorld.

Does that make it right? No, but seeing a thing on TV does not replace the power of the living experience of it either.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Indeed. And don't forget that orcas in the wild are actually a bit of violent and cunning creatures; captivity simply tames them and make them show their lovable side to the public.

Anyway it still sucks that Tilikum is dying... Sounds like a nice fella.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Here is the Catch-22 ... most people who care so much about orcas only do so because of the exposure to them they have in places like SeaWorld.

Does that make it right? No, but seeing a thing on TV does not replace the power of the living experience of it either.

How many whales have been saved by the study of one?

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boscowashisnamo

I'm not a tree hugging activist, just an ordinary Joe that knows what's right and what's wrong. End of rant.

One doesn't have to be a tree hugging extremist to be a decent human being.

new topics

top topics

join