It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Modeling Agency-H1B Problems and Slave Labor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
CNN

The suit alleges that the agency recruits foreign models with promises of wages that never materialize and defrauds the U.S. government on visa applications. Palmer is currently the only plaintiff and the suit has not yet been approved as a class-action.

Alexia Palmer, a Jamaican model, was paid $4,985 over 3 years, in New York City. She modeled for places like Saks Fifth Avenue, yet she didn;t get to keep even the entire $4,985- 20% went to Trump's agency, administrative fees on top of that went to trump;s Agency and fees for lessons, like 'walking lessons' were also taken out.

The H1B program requires people are paid the 'prevailing wage' for what they are doing here. Miss Palmer was promised $75,000 per year by the Trump agency. yet that is under the prevailing wage for a year for a model in NYC.

They also wonder just how far the alleged abuses go. "The real question," said New York immigration attorney Steve Maggi, "is if Trump does this in this case, how systematic is it?"

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I can not believe that a number of people support trump. Trump is a con artist.
edit on 10-3-2016 by TaleDawn because: (no reason given)

(post by Deny Arrogance removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

What you say is not true.

"Ms. Palmer will receive compensation of at least $75,000 per year," the agency's president Corinne Nicolas said in a letter to immigration officials. "She is a model whose services have been in great demand, and whose proposed temporary presence in the United States has stirred great anticipation by Trump Model Management and its clientele."

That was the wording on the application. That wording is used to assure the success of the application and is defrauding the government.

edit on 10-3-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

Experts say that the firm was required by law to pay the amount stated on Palmer's visa -- in this case, $75,000 a year. Even more egregious, they say, was that the Trump agency didn't pay the "prevailing wage" determined by the U.S. government (which is based on the industry and location).

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
She's a cutie.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
a reply to: reldra

You are a shameless race baiter.

This is not about race. It is about fraud on a government document and the treatment of an employee.

Why do you feel the need to call people names?

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Models essentially work on commission. The agency arranges for jobs from clients which is why they get 20% of the models earnings. However, the agency is not entirely responsible for the models employment.

If a typical model makes $75k, then it is not inaccurate to say that. However, the agency cannot guarantee employment as the model is essentially hired for individual jobs.

Sounds like another case of someone who thought they'd be successful, but failed miserably and see an opportunity to sue someone with deep pockets rather than admit their own failure.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Practically ever model I've dated has had nothing good to say about their agency. It's a very exasperating business for the women and many leave the business out of frustration. Acting is very similar...it's so competitive.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I am not calling names.

You chose to classify this as "slave labor" in your title without any supporting evidence. That is textbook race-baiting.

It trivializes and demeans the millions of women and children experiencing real slavery in muslim countries today and all people who have experienced real slavery throughout history.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The case is different when a company fills out an H1B, says the model will make at least that amount and then the person, here on an H1B receives less than $5,000 in 3 years.

The company thought she would be successful, they fill out the H1B to get her here. What they write down they must pay= actually they must pay the prevailing wage- and what they wrote down is even lower than the prevailing wage for that job in that city.

It is all very clear in the article, a dozen experts were questioned.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

There can't be a "prevailing wage" in modeling because models work on commission. It may be totally true the average model makes $75k. However, this is not a salary. It is commissions earned from being chosen for shoots.

In my business, it would be totally accurate to say the average person at my company makes $200,000 / yr in commissions. However, we do have a high number of employees who barely make $30k / yr. It is a tough business and 20% of the employees are responsible for 80% of the commissions earned. The low earners tend to washout relatively quickly. Come and go after they figure out they don't have what it takes.

If I were trying to hire an H1-b and I filled out the application, it would not be a lie to say expected income of this person is $200,000. However, beyond that, I cannot guarantee their earnings as it is not a salaried position. They either are successful or they aren't.

Even in the article you linked, it notes that there is a disconnect in the immigration law and how the modeling agency business works. Given foreigners are often in high demand for unusual beauty which is why they'd want to bring her here for work. She was paid for worked booked through the agency. This is nothing more than a failed model.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

There can't be a "prevailing wage" in modeling because models work on commission. It may be totally true the average model makes $75k. However, this is not a salary. It is commissions earned from being chosen for shoots.

In my business, it would be totally accurate to say the average person at my company makes $200,000 / yr in commissions. However, we do have a high number of employees who barely make $30k / yr. It is a tough business and 20% of the employees are responsible for 80% of the commissions earned. The low earners tend to washout relatively quickly. Come and go after they figure out they don't have what it takes.

If I were trying to hire an H1-b and I filled out the application, it would not be a lie to say expected income of this person is $200,000. However, beyond that, I cannot guarantee their earnings as it is not a salaried position. They either are successful or they aren't.

Even in the article you linked, it notes that there is a disconnect in the immigration law and how the modeling agency business works. Given foreigners are often in high demand for unusual beauty which is why they'd want to bring her here for work. She was paid for worked booked through the agency. This is nothing more than a failed model.

There is no evidence that she is a failed model. I see plenty evidence she was taken advantage of though.

Trump University, Trump Modeling- what difference, at this point, does it make?

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
a reply to: Edumakated

The case is different when a company fills out an H1B, says the model will make at least that amount and then the person, here on an H1B receives less than $5,000 in 3 years.

The company thought she would be successful, they fill out the H1B to get her here. What they write down they must pay= actually they must pay the prevailing wage- and what they wrote down is even lower than the prevailing wage for that job in that city.

It is all very clear in the article, a dozen experts were questioned.

This article is just trying to dig up dirt on Trump. Notice how they mention the agency took 20% of the model's commissons. OMG. The horror! That is how agencies make their money. They take a cut of the models earnings as the agency is responsible for booking the model to jobs. Good grief.

If the model thinks the agency is taking too much, she can go join a different agency. Given the model only earned $5k over 3 years, she probably cost the agency money if you really dig into it.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I am not calling names.

You chose to classify this as "slave labor" in your title without any supporting evidence. That is textbook race-baiting.

It trivializes and demeans the millions of women and children experiencing real slavery in muslim countries today and all people who have experienced real slavery throughout history.

You called me a race baiter. I would imagine bringing someone to NYC and then paying them $5,000 over 3 years would be slave labor. I didn't trivialize anyone else nor mention any race.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I am not calling names.

You called me a race baiter. I would imagine bringing someone to NYC and then paying them $5,000 over 3 years would be slave labor. I didn't trivialize anyone else nor mention any race.

Bringing them to NYC and only paying them $5k isn't slave labor. It is a bad investment....

The more money the model makes, the more money the agency makes. Agencies want models who are bookable. Not dead weight. The company LOST MONEY on this chick. it won't go anywhere.

Worst case scenario, government might claim some technicality, but the most certainly won't be able to show that Trump Agency took advantage of this chick. You aren't taking advantage of someone if you are losing money on them....

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I am not calling names.

Bringing them to NYC and only paying them $5k isn't slave labor. It is a bad investment....

The more money the model makes, the more money the agency makes. Agencies want models who are bookable. Not dead weight. The company LOST MONEY on this chick. it won't go anywhere.

Worst case scenario, government might claim some technicality, but the most certainly won't be able to show that Trump Agency took advantage of this chick. You aren't taking advantage of someone if you are losing money on them....

How do you know they lost money and why are you calling her a chick? Is she a baby chicken?

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Pretty much , and not surprised at all , the man is a flat out liar

He says whatever he needs to to pander to his base, and they eat it up without thinking twice or fact checking him.

I started a thread today about the lawsuit against him for his "Trump University" , brought about by the NY attorney General, and Ive gotten nothing but vitriolic hate from his supporters.....

Its really really amusing

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Simple. Basic math.... something I know liberals aren't fond of.

The agency only makes 20% of her earnings. She only made $5k. Therefore, her gross earnings were $6250. $5k / .8% = $6250. Therefore, agency made $1250. OVER THREE FREAKING YEARS.

Here is what it cost to file for an h1-b. Cost of H1-B Filing It cost $2375 just to file the paperwork. This doesn't even take into account that companies usually have lawyers that process this paperwork. Not to mention all the ancillary cost associated with employing a person such as healthcare and various other government imposed costs.

Businesses are in business to make money. No business wants to spend money bringing an employee from over seas and then have that employee fail miserably.

Again, this chick just failed as a model. Easier to sue than go find a real job.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Pretty much , and not surprised at all , the man is a flat out liar

He says whatever he needs to to pander to his base, and they eat it up without thinking twice or fact checking him.

I started a thread today about the lawsuit against him for his "Trump University" , brought about by the NY attorney General, and Ive gotten nothing but vitriolic hate from his supporters.....

Its really really amusing

No, you go facts about the suit and weren't able to defend your position.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Models essentially work on commission. The agency arranges for jobs from clients which is why they get 20% of the models earnings. However, the agency is not entirely responsible for the models employment.

If a typical model makes $75k, then it is not inaccurate to say that. However, the agency cannot guarantee employment as the model is essentially hired for individual jobs.

Sounds like another case of someone who thought they'd be successful, but failed miserably and see an opportunity to sue someone with deep pockets rather than admit their own failure.

But why was a HB-1 visa needed ?

Could your messiah trump not have found a American to do the job?
Is there a shortage of attractive people or something?
All to fat and stupid to pose in front of a camera?

HB1 visa have a valuable purpose but this is not one! Abuses like this just make it harder for companies that do use them responsibly.
edit on 10-3-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join